Patterns and dynamics of rapid local adaptation and sex in varying habitat types in rotifers
Article first published online: 1 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 12, pages 4253–4264, October 2013
Total views since publication: 0
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(12): 4253–4264
- Issue published online: 23 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 1 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 5 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 8 JUL 2013
- FWF. Grant Number: P20735-B17
- 2012. Local adaptation in populations of a Brachionus group plicatilis cryptic species inhabiting three deep crater lakes in Central Mexico. Freshw. Biol. 57:728–740. , , , , and .
- 2008. Adaptation from standing genetic variation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 23:38–44. , and .
- 2009. Linear mixed effects models using S4 classes CRAN - Package lme4. R package version 0.999375-31. Available at http://cran.r-project.org/packages/lm4/index.html (accessed July 25, 2012). , , and .
- 2010. Higher rates of sex evolve in spatially heterogeneous environments. Nature 468:89–92. , and .
- 2012. The evolution of sex is favoured during adaptation to new environments. PLoS Biol. 10:e1001317. , and .
- 2012. The functional genomics of an eco-evolutionary feedback loop: linking gene expression, trait evolution, and community dynamics. Ecol. Lett. 15:492–501. , , , and .
- 2008. Selection: the mechanism of evolution. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, New York.
- 2013. A practical guide to measuring local adaptation. Ecol. Lett. 16:1195–1205. , , , and .
- 2011. Local adaptation in rotifer populations. Evol. Ecol. 25:933–947. , , , and .
- 2002. Sex releases the speed limit on evolution. Nature 420:664–666.
- 2013. Correlated responses to clonal selection in populations of Daphnia pulicaria: mechanisms of genetic correlation and the creative power of sex. Ecol. Evol. 3:204–216. , , and .
- 1997. Two distinct types of natural selection in turbidostat-like and chemostat-like ecosystems. J. Theor. Biol. 188:121–126.
- 1977. Optimum selection intensities in artificial selection programmes: an experimental evaluation. Genetics Res. 30:115–119.
- 2011. Rotifers: excellent subjects for the study of macro- and microevolutionary change. Hydrobiologia 662:11–18.
- 2003. Evolution as a critical component of plankton dynamics. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 270:1015–1022. , , and .
- 2006. Hatching and viability of rotifer diapausing eggs collected from pond sediments. Freshw. Biol. 51:1351–1358. , , and .
- 2009. Experimental evolution. Concepts, methods, and applications of selection experiments. Univ. of California Press, Berkely, Los Angeles, London. , and
- 2003a. Specificity of crowding response that induces sexuality in the rotifer Brachionus. Limnol. Oceanogr. 48:1297–1303.
- 2003b. Environmental and endogenous control of sexuality in a rotifer life cycle: developmental and population biology. Evol. Dev. 5:19–24.
- 2007. Induction of mictic females in the rotifer Brachionus: oocytes of amictic females respond individually to population-density signal only during oogenesis shortly before oviposition. Freshw. Biol. 52:1417–1426.
- 2010. Effect of food concentration on the production and viability of resting eggs of the rotifer Brachionus: implications for the timing of sexual reproduction. Freshw. Biol. 55:2437–2446.
- 2007. Intraclonal variation in propensity for mixis in several rotifers: variation among females and with maternal age. Hydrobiologia 593:121–128. , and .
- 2005. Sex increases the efficacy of natural selection in experimental yeast populations. Nature 434:636–640. , , and .
- 2012a. Gene-flow between niches facilitates local adaptation in sexual populations. Ecol. Lett. 15:955–962. , and .
- 2012b. Sex enhances adaptation by unlinking beneficial from detrimental mutations in experimental yeast populations. BMC Evol. Biol. 12:43. , and .
- 2009. A quantitative survey of local adaptation and fitness trade-offs. Am. Nat. 173:579–588.
- 2012. The yield of experimental yeast populations declines during selection. Proc. R. Soc. B: Biol. Sci. 279:4382–4388. , , and .
- 1968. The effects of population size and selection intensity in selection for a quantitative character in Drosophila: II. Long-term response to selection. Genetics Res. 12:249–266. , , and .
- 2002. The ecology and genetics of fitness in Chlamydomonas. XII. Repeated sexual episodes increase rates of adaptation to novel environments. Evolution 56:1743–1753. , and .
- 2004. Conceptual issues in local adaptation. Ecol. Lett. 7:1225–1241. and .
- 1998. COMBO: a defined freshwater culture medium for algae and zooplankton. Hydrobiologia 377:147–159. , , , , and .
- 1983. Cryopreservation of monogonont rotifers. Pp. 85–88 in B. Pejler, R. Starkweather, T. Nogrady, eds. Biology of rotifers developments in hydrobiology. Springer, Netherlands. , , , and .
- 2013. Testing for local adaptation in the Gasterosteus–Gyrodactylus host–parasite system. Evol. Ecol. Res. 15:489–502. , , , , and .
- 2008. Chemical communication among microbes. ASM Press, Washington, DC. , and .
- 2010. Biostatistical design and analysis using R. A practical guide, 1. Auflage. John Wiley & Sons, Oxford, UK.
- 1993. Rotifera: biology, ecology and systematics. Pp. 137 in H. J. F. Dumont, ed. Guides to the identification of the microinvertebrates of the continental waters of the world. SPB Academic Publishing, The Hague, The Netherlands. , , and .
- 2012. Linear and nonlinear mixed effects models CRAN - Package nlme. Available at http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/nlme/index.html (accessed 12 September 2012). , , , and .
- 2007. Empirical fitness landscapes reveal accessible evolutionary paths. Nature 445:383–386. , , , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2010. The R project for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. Available at http://www.r-project.org/ (accessed 25 July 2012).
- 1960. A theory of limits in artificial selection. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 153:234–249.
- 1968. The effect of selection intensity on selection response in Tribolium. N. Z. J. Agric. Res. 11:745–756. , and .
- 2005. Diapause in monogonont rotifers. Hydrobiologia 546:291–306.
- 2012. Evolution of starvation resistance in Drosophila melanogaster: measurement of direct and correlated responses to artificial selection. J. Evol. Biol. 25:378–387. , , and .
- 2007. Evolutionary domestication in Drosophila subobscura. J. Evol. Biol. 20:758–766. , , , , and .
- 2012. Rapid evolution of sex frequency and dormancy as hydroperiod adaptations. J. Evol. Biol. 25:2501–2510. , and .
- 1986. Effect of temperature, salinity and food level on sexual and asexual reproduction in Brachionus plicatilis (Rotifera). Mar. Biol. 92:157–162.
- 2006. A protein signal triggers sexual reproduction in Brachionus plicatilis. (Rotifera). Mar. Biol. 149:763–773. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. The cost of sex and competition between cyclical and obligate parthenogenetic rotifers. Am. Nat. 177:E43–E53.
- 2003. Induction of sexual reproduction in Brachionus plicatilis (Monogononta, Rotifera) by a density-dependent chemical cue. Limnol. Oceanogr. 48:939–943. , and .
- 1991. Cryopreservation of different strains of the euryhaline rotifer Brachionus plicatilis embryos. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi 57:1347–1350. , , and .
- 2012. GAMs with GCV/AIC/REML smoothness estimation and GAMMs by PQL. R package version 1.7-9. Available at http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/mgcv/index.html (accessed 12 September 2012).
- 2003. Rapid evolution drives ecological dynamics in a predator-prey system. Nature 424:303–306. , , , , and .
- 2009. Mixed effects models and extensions in Ecology with R, 1st ed. Springer, New York. , , , , and .