Modelling shifts in agroclimate and crop cultivar response under climate change
Article first published online: 30 SEP 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 12, pages 4197–4214, October 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(12): 4197–4214
- Issue published online: 23 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 30 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 20 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 31 MAY 2013
- Academy of Finland, projects A-La-Carte, Maveric and NORFASYS. Grant Numbers: 140846, 128043 , 268277
- Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry of Finland
- 1998. Crop Evapotranspiration. Guidelines for Computing Crop Water Requirements. FAO Irrigation and Drainage Paper 56, Rome, Italy. , , , and .
- 2008. Reframing the climate change challenge in the light of post-2000 emission trends. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. A 366:3863–3882. and .
- 2013. Implication of crop model calibration strategies for assessing regional impacts of climate change in Europe. Agric. For. Meteorol. 170:32–46. , , , , , and .
- 2007. A climate change index: where climate change may be most prominent in the 21st century. Geophys. Res. Lett. 34:L01705. , , and .
- 2011. When could global warming reach 4°C? Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. A 369:67–84. , , , , , and .
- 1998. User's guide for the WOFOST 7.1 crop growth simulation model and control center 1.5, Alterra, Wageningen, The Netherlands. , , , , and .
- 2009. Adapting to climate change in The Netherlands: an inventory of climate adaptation options and ranking of alternatives. Clim. Change 95:23–45. , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Estimating regional crop potential in Finland under a changing climate. Agric. For. Meteorol. 79:301–313. and .
- 1996. Assessing the risks and uncertainties of regional crop potential under a changing climate in Finland. Agric. Food Sci. Finland 5:329–350. , , and .
- 2011. Agriculture: forecasting food. Nat. Clim. Change 1:103–104.
- 2011. The ERA-Interim reanalysis: configuration and performance of the data assimilation system. Quart. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 137:553–597. , , , , , , et al.
- 1989. WOFOST: a simulation model of crop production. Soil Use Manag. 5:16–24. , , and .
- 2012. Assessing agriculture vunerabilities for the design of effective measures for adaption to climate change (AVEMAC Project). Joint Research Centre, Italy, Pp. 176. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Response diversity, ecosystem change, and resilience. Front. Ecol. Environ. 1:488–494. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Scale changes and model linking methods for integrated assessment of agri-environmental systems. Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 142:6–17. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Socio-economic and climate change impacts on agriculture: an integrated assessment, 1990–2080. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. B 360:2067–2083. , , , and .
- 2012. Representing two centuries of past and future climate for assessing risks to biodiversity in Europe. Glob. Ecol. Biogeogr. 21:19–35. , , and .
- 2010. Food security: the challenge of feeding 9 billion people. Science 327:812–818. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Ensemble modelling of climate change risks and opportunities for managed grasslands in France. Agric. For. Meteorol. 170:114–131. , , , and .
- 2012. Sensitivity of barley varieties to weather in Finland. J. Agric. Sci. 150:145–160. , , , , , and .
- 1996. Effects of climate change on Europe-wide winter wheat and sunflower productivity. Clim. Res. 7:225–241. and .
- 2013. Cultivar diversity has great potential to increase yield of feed barley. Agron. Sustainable Dev. 33:519–530. , , , , , and .
- 2003. On approaches and applications of the Wageningen crop models. Eur. J. Agron. 18:201–234. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Viraliisten lajikekokeiden tulokset 1999–2006 (Results of official variety trials 1999–2006), MTT:selvityksiä 132 (in Finnish and English language). MTT, Jokioinen, Finland. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. On the use of statistical models to predict crop yield responses to climate change. Agric. For. Meteorol. 150:1443–1452. and .
- 2012. Scenarios of long-term farm structural change for application in climate change impact assessment. Landscape Ecol. 27:1–19. , , and .
- 2012. A physical, genetic and functional sequence assembly of the barley genome. Nature 491:711–717. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. The WCRP CMIP3 multimodel dataset - A new era in climate change research. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 88:1383–1394. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. A climatic stratification of Europe. Glob. Ecol. Biogeogr. 14:549–563. , , , , and .
- 2004. A comprehensive set of high-resolution grids of monthly climate for Europe and the globe: the observed record (1901–2000) and 16 scenarios (2001–2100). Tyndall Centre Working Paper 55. Tyndall Centre, Norwich, UK. , , , , and .
- 2000. Emissions scenarios. A special report of working group III of the intergovernmental panel on climate change. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Climate change: impact on agriculture and costs of adaptation. Food Policy Report. International Food Policy Research Institute, Washington DC. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Impacts and adaptation of European crop production systems to climate change. Eur. J. Agron. 34:96–112. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Variation in the global-scale impacts of climate change on crop productivity due to climate model uncertainty and adaptation. Agric. For. Meteorol. 170:183–194. , , and .
- 2004. Effects of climate change on global food production under SRES emissions and socio-economic scenarios. Global Environ.Change 14:53–67. , , , , and .
- 2009. Are there indications of climate change induced increases in variability of major field crops in the northernmost European conditions? Agric. Food Sci. 18:206–222. , , and .
- 1999. Temperatures and the growth and development of wheat: a review. Eur. J. Agron. 10:23–36. and .
- 2012. A plant's perspective of extremes: terrestrial plant responses to changing climatic variability. Glob. Change Biol. 19:75–89. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998) Climate change and the global harvest: potential impacts of the greenhouse effect on agriculture. Oxford Univ. Press, New York, Pp. 336. and (
- 1994. Potential impact of climate change on world food supply. Nature 367:133–138. and .
- 2013. The Agricultural Model Intercomparison and Improvement Project (AgMIP): protocols and pilot studies. Agric. For. Meteorol. 170:166–182. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Climate change effects on plant growth, crop yield and livestock. Clim. Change 43:651–681. and .
- 2011a. What would happen to barley production in Finland if global warming exceeded 4°C? A model-based assessment. Eur. J. Agron. 35:205–214. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011b. Crop-climate models need an overhaul. Nat. Clim. Change 1:175–177. , , , and .
- 2012. Simulation of spring barley yield in different climatic zones of Northern and Central Europe. A comparison of nine crop models. Field Crops Res. 133:23–36. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. State-of-the-art with regional climate models. WIREs Clim. Change 1:82–96.
- 2011. Projected changes in thermal seasons and the growing season in Finland. Int. J. Climatol. 31:1473–1487. , , and .
- 2009. Identifying target traits and molecular mechanisms for wheat breeding under a changing climate. J. Exp. Bot. 60:2791–2804. and .
- 2012. Selection of climate change scenario data for impact modeling. Food Addit. Contam. Part A 29:1502–1513. , , , , and .
- 2010. Synergies between the mitigation of, and adaptation to, climate change in agriculture. J. Agric. Sci. 148:543–552. and .
- 2013. Global hot-spots of heat stress on agricultural crops due to climate change. Agric. For. Meteorol. 170:206–215. , , , , and .
- 2011. Agroclimatic conditions in Europe under climate change. Glob. Change Biol. 17:2298–2318. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. The ERA-40 re-analysis. Quart. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 131:2961–3012. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. A basic Finnish climate data set 1961–2000-description and illustration. Finnish Meteorological Institute Reports 5. Finnish Meteorological Institute, Helsinki, Finland, Pp. 27. , , , and .
- 2011. Methodologies for simulating impacts of climate change on crop production. Field Crops Res. 124:357–368. , , , and .
- 2010. Growing season precipitation in Finland under recent and projected climate. Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci. 10:1563–1574. , , , , , , et al.