Drosophila rely on learning while foraging under semi-natural conditions
Article first published online: 23 SEP 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 12, pages 4139–4148, October 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(12): 4139–4148
- Issue published online: 23 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 23 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 16 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 3 AUG 2013
- Swiss National Science Foundation
- 2011. Costs of memory: lessons from ‘mini’ brains. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 278:923–929. , , and .
- 2006. Olfactory conditioning of proboscis activity in Drosophila melanogaster. J. Comp. Physiol. A Neuroethol. Sens. Neural Behav. Physiol. 192:1335–1348. , , , , and .
- 1985. Insect chemosensory responses – a chemical legacy. Ecol. Entomol. 10:143–153.
- 2004. Learning, odour preference and flower foraging in moths. J. Exp. Biol. 207:87–94. , , , and .
- 2008. Olfactory interference during inhibitory backward pairing in honey bees. PLoS ONE 3:e3513. and .
- 2005. Olfactory memory formation in Drosophila: from molecular to systems neuroscience. Annu. Rev. Neurosci. 28:275–302.
- 1998. Gene discovery in Drosophila: new insights for learning and memory. Annu. Rev. Neurosci. 21:407–444. and .
- 2004. Evolutionary biology of animal cognition. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 35:347–374.
- 2005a. Experience improves courtship in male fruit flies. Anim. Behav. 69:1203–1209.
- 2005b. Learning affects mate choice in female fruit flies. Behav. Ecol. 16:800–804.
- 2008. Evolutionary biology of insect learning. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 53:145–160.
- 2009. Learning: mechanisms, ecology and evolution. Cognitive ecology II. University of Chicago Pres, Chicago, IL.
- 2005. Experience levels of individuals in natural bee populations and their ecological implications. Can. J. Zool. 83:492–497. , , and .
- 1997. Necrotic fruit: a novel model system for thermal ecologists. J. Therm. Biol 22:1–9.
- 2010. Use of spatial information and search strategies in a water maze analog in Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS ONE 5:e15231. , , and .
- 2012. Facing multiple information sources while foraging on successive patches: how does a parasitoid deal with experience? Anim. Behav. 83:189–199. , , , , and .
- 1997. Spontaneous flower constancy and learning in honey bees as a function of colour. Anim. Behav. 54:615–627. , , and .
- 2011. Natural variation in learning rate and memory dynamics in parasitoid wasps: opportunities for converging ecology and neuroscience. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 278:889–897. , , , , , and .
- 1985. Effects of experience on oviposition and attraction in Drosophila: comparing apples and oranges. Am. Nat. 126:41–51.
- 1988. Early adult experience in Drosophila melanogaster. J. Insect Physiol. 34:197–204.
- 1985. Distribution of Drosophila melanogaster on alternative ressources – effects of experience and starvation. Am. Nat. 126:662–679. and .
- 2012. Colour-independent shape recognition of cryptic predators by bumblebees. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 66:487–496. , , and .
- 2004. Exclusive consolidated memory phases in Drosophila. Science 304:1024–1027. , , and .
- 2012. Learning predator promotes coexistence of prey species in host-parasitoid systems. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 109:5116–5120. and .
- 1985. Genetic and environmental determinants of food preference in Drosophila tripunctata. Evolution 39:362–369.
- 1986. Intraspecific variation for resource use in Drosophila. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 27:47–56.
- 1988. Effects of early adult experience on host selection in insects: some experimental and theoretical results. J. Insect Behav. 1:3–15.
- 2010. Evolutionary ecology of learning: insights from fruit flies. Popul. Ecol. 52:15–25.
- 2009. A switch from cycloheximide-resistant consolidated memory to cycloheximide-sensitive reconsolidation and extinction in Drosophila. J. Neurosci. 29:2225–2230. , , and .
- 2008. Reproductive ecology of Drosophila. Funct. Ecol. 22:747–759. and .
- 1996. Learning and memory in honeybees: from behavior to neural substrates. Annu. Rev. Neurosci. 19:379–404. and .
- 2005. Honey bees navigate according to a map-like spatial memory. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 102:3040–3045. , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Experimental evolution of learning ability in fruit flies. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 99:14274–14279. and .
- 2003. A fitness cost of learning ability in Drosophila melanogaster. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 270:2465–2469. and .
- 2004. The effect of learning on experimental evolution of resource preference in Drosophila melanogaster. Evolution 58:757–767. and .
- 2005. A cost of long-term memory in Drosophila. Science 308:1148. and .
- 2007. Experimental evolution of olfactory memory in Drosophila melanogaster. Physiol. Biochem. Zool. 80:399–405. , , , and .
- 2008. A parasitoid wasp uses landmarks while monitoring potential resources. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 275:377–385. and .
- 2007. Influence of plasticity and learning on evolution under directional selection. Am. Nat. 170:E47–E58. , , and .
- 2013. To favor survival under food shortage, the brain disables costly memory. Science 339:440–442. and .
- 2008. The correlation of learning speed and natural foraging success in bumble-bees. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 275:803–808. and .
- 1978. Search image for leaf shape in a butterfly. Science 200:1071–1073.
- 2007. Evolutionary biology of starvation resistance: what we have learned from Drosophila. J. Evol. Biol. 20:1655–1664. and .
- 1987. The implication of survival rates in natural populations of Drosophila – capture recapture experiments on domestic species. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 32:373–384. and .
- 2003. Olfactory learning in individually assayed Drosophila larvae. Learn. Mem. 10:217–225. , , and .
- 1979. Conditioned responses in courtship behavior of normal and mutant Drosophila. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 76:3430–3434. and .
- 2009. Patterns of phenotypic plasticity in common and rare environments: a study of host use and color learning in the cabbage white butterfly Pieris rapae. Am. Nat. 173:615–631. , and .
- 1972. Experimental systematics and ecology of Drosophila. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 3:269–288. and .
- 1984. Short-term learning and the searching accurcy of egg-laying butterflies. Anim. Behav. 32:33–40.
- 1991. Change, regularity, and value in the evolution of animal learning. Behav. Ecol. 2:77–89.
- 2009. Influence of learning on range expansion and adaptation to novel habitats. J. Evol. Biol. 22:2201–2214. and .
- 1983. Reward learning in normal and mutant Drosophila. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 80:1482–1486. , , , and .
- 2013. Omnia tempus habent: habitat-specific differences in olfactory learning and decision making in parasitic wasps. Anim. Cogn. 16:223–232. , , and .
- 1937. Olfactory conditioning in a parasitic insect and its relation to the problem of host selection. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B Biol. Sci. 124:56–81. and .
- 1985. Classical conditioning and retention in normal and mutant Drosophila melanogaster. J. Comp. Physiol. A 157:263–277. and .
- 1988. Effects of starvation and experience on the response of Drosophila to alternative resources. Oecologia 77:497–505. and .
- 2012. Unexpected features of Drosophila circadian behavioural rhythms under natural conditions. Nature 484:371–375. , , , , , et al.
- 1991. Basic organization of operant behavior as revealed in Drosophila flight orientation. J. Comp. Physiol. A 169:699–705. and .