Inferring parturition and neonate survival from movement patterns of female ungulates: a case study using woodland caribou
Article first published online: 23 SEP 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 12, pages 4149–4160, October 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(12): 4149–4160
- Issue published online: 23 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 23 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 17 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 8 MAY 2013
- Science and Community Environmental Knowledge Fund, Penn West Exploration
- Alberta Upstream Petroleum Research Fund
- Canadian Wildlife Federation
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada
- Pacific Institute for the Mathematical Sciences
- University of Alberta
- Alberta Innovates-Technology Futures
- Steve and Elaine Antoniuk
- 2000. What do we mean by validating a prognostic model? Stat. Med. 19:453–473. and .
- 2008. Elk calf survival and mortality following wolf restoration to Yellowstone National Park. Wildl. Monogr. 169:1–30. , , and .
- 2011. Elk parturition site selection at local and landscape scales. J. Wildl. Manage. 75:646–654. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Personality, habitat use, and their consequences for survival in North American red squirrels Tamiasciurus hudsonicus. Oikos 117:1321–1328. , , and .
- 2008. Are there general mechanisms of animal home range behaviour? A review and prospects for future research. Ecol. Lett. 11:637–650. , , and .
- 1999. Birth-site selection by Alaskan moose: maternal strategies for coping with a risky environment. J. Mammal. 80:1070–1083. , , and .
- 2012. State-space methods for more completely capturing behavioral dynamics from animal tracks. Ecol. Model. 235–236:49–58. , , , , and .
- British Columbia Resource Inventory Committee. (1998). Live animal capture and handling guidelines for wild mammals, birds, amphibians, and reptiles. Standards for components for British Columbia's biodiversity number 3. British Columbia Resource Inventory Committee, Victoria, BC.
- 2010. Habitat selection by parturient elk (Cervus elaphus) in agricultural and forested landscapes. Can. J. Zool. 88:968–976.
- 2009. Survival, birth characteristics, and cause-specific mortality of white-tailed deer neonates. J. Wildl. Manage. 73:175–183. , , , and .
- 2012. Estimating ungulate recruitment and growth rates using age ratios. J. Wildl. Manage. 76:144–153. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Prioritizing conservation of ungulate calving resources in multiple-use landscapes. PLoS ONE 6:e14597. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Seasonal movement patterns of woodland caribou (Rangifer tarandus caribou). J. Zool. 262:125–134. and .
- 2007. State–space models link elk movement patterns to landscape characteristics in Yellowstone National Park. Ecol. Monogr. 77:285–299. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Scales of movement by elk (Cervus elaphus) in response to heterogeneity in forage resources and predation risk. Landscape Ecol. 20:273–287. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Resolving issues of imprecise and habitat-biased locations in ecological analyses using GPS telemetry data. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 365:2187–2200. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Multiple movement modes by large herbivores at multiple spatiotemporal scales. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 105:19114–19119. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Temporal variation in fitness components and population dynamics of large herbivores. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 31:367–393. , , , , and .
- 2004. The management of wild large herbivores to meet economic, conservation and environmental objectives. J. Appl. Ecol. 41:1021–1031. , , and .
- 2009. A novel method for identifying behavioural changes in animal movement data. Ecol. Lett. 12:395–408. , , and .
- 2006). Calf survival of woodland caribou in a multi-predator ecosystem. Wildl. Monogr. 165: 1–32. , , , , and (
- 2010. Distinguishing technology from biology: a critical review of the use of GPS telemetry data in ecology. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 365:2303–2312. and .
- 2002. A multiscale behavioral approach to understanding the movements of woodland caribou. Ecol. Appl. 12:1840–1860. , , , and .
- 1966. Calving and related social behavior in the barren-ground caribou. Zeitschrift für Tierpsychologie 23:701–756.
- 2009. Resource selection and movements by female mule deer Odocoileus hemionus: effects of reproductive stage. Wildl. Biol. 15:288–298. , , , and .
- 2002. Long-term changes in demography and migration of Newfoundland caribou. J. Mammal. 83:957–963. and .
- 2010. Considering ecological dynamics in resource selection functions. J. Anim. Ecol. 79:4–12. , , , , and .
- 2012. Mechanistic approaches to understanding and predicting mammalian space use: recent advances, future directions. J. Mammal. 93:903–916.
- 2006. Mechanistic home range models capture spatial patterns and dynamics of coyote territories in Yellowstone. Proc. Biol. Sci. 273:1651–1659. , , and .
- 2002. Scaling up animal movements in heterogeneous landscapes: the importance of behavior. Ecology 83:2240–2247. and .
- 2011. How landscape dynamics link individual- to population-level movement patterns: a multispecies comparison of ungulate relocation data. Glob. Ecol. Biogeogr. 20:683–694. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Use of space by caribou in northern Canada. PhD thesis, University of Alberta, 184 p.
- 2009. Activity, movements, and sociality of newborn Mongolian gazelle calves in the Eastern Steppe. Acta Theriologica 54:357–362. , , , , and .
- 2010. Dynamics of births and juvenile recruitment in Mara–Serengeti ungulates in relation to climatic and land use changes. Popul. Ecol. 53:195–213. , , , , and .
- 2010. Annual movements of Mongolian gazelles : nomads in the Eastern Steppe. J. Arid Environ. 74:1435–1442. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Calving rate, calf survival rate, and habitat selection of forest-dwelling caribou in a highly managed landscape. J. Wildl. Manage. 76:189–199. , , , , and .
- 2007. Moose calving strategies in interior montane ecosystems. J. Mammal. 88:139–150. , , and .
- 2005. Birth, morphologic, and blood characteristics of free-ranging white-tailed deer neonates. J. Wildl. Dis. 41:171–183. and .
- 2007. Impact of spatial and temporal variation in calf survival on the growth of elk populations. J. Wildl. Manage. 71:795–803. , , and .
- R Core Team. 2012. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. Available via http://www.R-project.org/.
- 2008. Understanding movement data and movement processes: current and emerging directions. Ecol. Lett. 11:1338–1350. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Behavioral syndromes: an integrative overview. Q. Rev. Biol. 79:241–277. , , , and .
- 2010. Stochastic modelling of animal movement. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 365:2201–2211. , , , , , and .
- 1999. Long-term trends in the population ecology of polar bears in western Hudson Bay in relation to climatic change. Arctic 52:294–306. , , and .
- 2000. Movements of female moose in relation to birth and death of calves. Alces 36:155–162. , , and .
- 2012. Timing and synchrony of births in bighorn sheep: implications for reintroduction and conservation. Wildl. Res. 39, 565–572. , , and .
- 2005. Population dynamics of the endangered mountain ecotype of woodland caribou (Rangifer tarandus caribou) in British Columbia, Canada. Can. J. Zool. 83:407–418. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. The role of American black bears and brown bears as predators on ungulates in North America. Ursus 17:95–108. and .