Manipulating reproductive effort leads to changes in female reproductive scheduling but not oxidative stress
Article first published online: 25 SEP 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 12, pages 4161–4171, October 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(12): 4161–4171
- Issue published online: 23 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 25 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 10 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 24 JUN 2013
- Australian Research Council Discovery
- 1996) Measurement of antioxidants: glutathione. Pp. 213–226 in N. A. Punchard, F. J. Kelly, eds. Free radicals, a practical approach. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U.K. (
- 1998. The free radical theory of aging matures. Physiol. Rev. 78:547–581. , and .
- 2011. The energetic and oxidative costs of reproduction in a free-ranging rodent. Funct. Ecol. 25:1063–1071. , , , , , and .
- 1970. The natural history of the house mouse. Field Stud. 3:219–262.
- 1981. Biology of the house mouse. Academic Press Inc., London.
- 1992. Consummatory behaviors and weight regulation in pregnant, lactating, and pregnant-lactating mice. Physiol. Behav. 52:485–491. , and .
- 1956. Number and viability of young from pregnancies concurrent with lactation in the mouse. J. Endocrinol. 14:19–27. , and .
- 2009. Limited variation in the major urinary proteins of laboratory mice. Physiol. Behav. 96:253–261. , , , , and .
- 2008. Oxidative stress in ecology and evolution: lessons from avian studies. Ecol. Lett. 11:1238–1251.
- 1984. Menadione-induced cytotoxicity is associated with protein thiol oxidation and alteration in intracellular Ca2 + homeostasis. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 235:343–350. , , , , and .
- 2009. Reactive oxygen species as universal constraints in life-history evolution. Proc. Roy. Soc. B-Biol. Sci. 276:1737–1745. , and .
- 2011) Mechanisms underlying reproductive trade-offs: costs of reproduction. Pp. 137–152 in T. Flatt, A. Heyland, eds. Molecular mechanisms of life history evolution. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford. , and (
- 2012. Oxidative damage increases with reproductive energy expenditure and is reduced by food-supplementation. Evolution 67:1527–1536. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Oxidative stress and condition-dependent sexual signals: more than just seeing red. Proc. Roy. Soc. B-Biol. Sci. 279:3121–3130. , and .
- 2011. Is oxidative stress a physiological cost of reproduction? An experimental test in house mice. Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond. B Biol. 278:1098–1106. , , , , , and .
- 2013. Physiological adaptations to reproduction I Experimentally increasing litter size enhances antioxidant defence but does not cause oxidative damage in mice. J. Exp. Biol. 216:2879–2888. , , , and .
- 2010. Fitness costs of reproduction depend on life speed: empirical evidence from mammalian populations. Ecol. Lett. 13:915–935. , , , , , and .
- 1956. Aging: a theory based on free radical and radiation chemistry. J. Gerontol. 11:298–300.
- 2007. The cost of reproduction: the devil in the details. Trends Ecol. Evol. 22:80–86. , and .
- 2011. The challenges of integrating oxidative stress into life-history biology. Bioscience 61:194–202. , , and .
- 2001. Limits to sustained energy intake: III. Effects of concurrent pregnancy and lactation in Mus musculus. J. Exp. Biol. 204:1947–1956. , , and .
- 2006. Redefining oxidative stress. Antioxid. Redox Signal. 8:1865–1879.
- 2008. Radical-free biology of oxidative stress. Am. J. Physiol. Cell Physiol. 295:C849–C868.
- 1987. Maternal care in house mice: I. The weaning strategy as a means for parental manipulation of offspring quality. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 20:1–9. , and .
- 1988. Maternal care in house mice (Mus musculus): II. The energy cost of lactation as a function of litter size. J. Zool. 216:195–210. , , and .
- 1993. The effect of weaning weight on offspring fitness in wild house mice (Mus musculus domesticus): a peliminary study. Ethology 95:76–82.
- 1989. Sex ratio manipulation, maternal investment and behaviour during concurrent pregnancy and lactation in house mice. Anim. Behav. 37:177–186. , and .
- 2007. Limits to sustained energy intake. X. Effects of fur removal on reproductive performance in laboratory mice. J. Exp. Biol. 210:4233–4243. , , and .
- 1966. Frequency and extent of delayed implantation in lactating rats and mice. J. Reprod. Fertil. 12:391–394. , and .
- 2010. Oxidative stress as a life-history constraint: the role of reactive oxygen species in shaping phenotypes from conception to death. Funct. Ecol. 24:984–996. , and .
- 2013. Does reproduction cause oxidative stress? An open question Trends Ecol. Evol. 28:347–350. , and .
- 2009. Oxidative stress as a mediator of life history trade-offs: mechanisms, measurements and interpretation. Ecol. Lett. 12:75–92. , , and .
- 1981. Concurrent lactation and reproductive performance in CFLP mice mated post partum. Lab. Anim. 15:273–275. , and .
- 2009. Life history correlates of oxidative damage in a free-living mammal population. Funct. Ecol. 23:809–817. , , , and .
- 2012. Is reproduction costly? No increase of oxidative damage in breeding bank voles. J. Exp. Biol. 215:1799–1805. , , , , , and .
- 1984. Milk intake of elephant seal pups - an index of parental investment. Am. Nat. 124:416–422. , , and .
- 1990. Energetics of concurrent pregnancy and lactation in cotton rats and woodrats. J. Mammal. 71:500–509. , and .
- 1987. Breeding and feeding strategies in deer mice and house mice when females are challenged to work for their food. Anim. Behav. 35:1298–1316.
- 1989. Postnatal growth rate and adult body weight in mammals: a new approach. Oecologia 80:390–394. , , , , , and .
- 1988. The intrinsic rate of natural increase and reproductive effort in primates. J. Zool. 214:199–219.
- 2010. Update on the oxidative stress theory of aging: does oxidative stress play a role in aging or healthy aging? Free Radic. Biol. Med. 48:642–655. , , and .
- 2012. Oxidative damage, ageing, and life-history evolution: where now? Trends Ecol. Evol. 27:570–577. , , , and .
- 1996. Oxidative stress, caloric restriction, and aging. Science 273:59–63. , and .
- 2002. Mechanisms of aging: an appraisal of the oxidative stress hypothesis. Free Radic. Biol. Med. 33:575–586. , , and .
- 2008. The physiological costs of reproduction in small mammals. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 363:375–398.
- 2010. The heat dissipation limit theory and evolution of life histories in endotherms–time to dispose of the disposable soma theory? Integr. Comp. Biol. 50:793–807. , and .
- 1992. The evolution of life histories. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford.
- 1977. Effect of pregnancy on lactation in mice. J. Dairy Sci. 60:126–128. , and .
- 2006. Free radical generation by skeletal muscle of adult and old mice: effect of contractile activity. Aging Cell 5:109–117. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. The arcsine is asinine: the analysis of proportions in ecology. Ecology 92:3–10. , and .
- 2001. The physiology of life history trade-offs in animals. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 32:95–126. , and .