Targeting hunter distribution based on host resource selection and kill sites to manage disease risk
Article first published online: 1 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 12, pages 4265–4277, October 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(12): 4265–4277
- Issue published online: 23 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 1 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 14 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 13 MAY 2013
- Parks Canada (Riding Mountain National Park)
- PrioNet Canada
- University of Saskatchewan
- Manitoba Conservation
- Canadian Council on Ecological Areas
- Manitoba Agriculture
- Food and Rural Initiatives
- Riding Mountain Biosphere Reserve
- Nature Conservancy of Canada
- Manitoba Wildlife Federation
- Louisiana Pacific
- Earth Rhythms Inc.
- Westlake and Seven Oaks Wildlife Associations
- Friends of Riding Mountain National Park
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency
- Natural Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC)
- 2011. Models predict that culling is not a feasible strategy to prevent extinction of Tasmanian devils from facial tumour disease. J. Appl. Ecol. 48:1315–1323. , and .
- 2012. Geospatial modelling environment (Version 0.7. 1.0) (software). Available at http://www.spatialecology.com/gme.
- 2010. Screening global positioning system location data for errors using animal movement characteristics. J. Wildl. Manag. 74:1361–1366. , , , and .
- 1981. Activity, movement, and distribution of Roosevelt elk during rut. J. Mammal. 62:574–582.
- 2002. Evaluating resource selection functions. Ecol. Model. 157:281–300. , , , and .
- 2007. Influence of hunter adaptability on resilience of subsistence hunting systems. J. Ecol. Anthrop. 11:1–6. , , , and .
- 2008. Elk-agriculture conflicts in the greater Riding Mountain ecosystem: building bridges between the natural and social sciences to promote sustainability. Ph.D. thesis, University of Manitoba.
- 2009. Historical review of elk–agriculture conflicts in and around Riding Mountain National Park, Manitoba, Canada. Hum. Wildl. Confl. 3:72–87.
- 2009. Transdisciplinary habitat models for elk and cattle as a proxy for bovine tuberculosis transmission risk. Prev. Vet. Med. 91:197–208. , and .
- 2012. Evaluating use of cattle winter feeding areas by elk and white-tailed deer: implications for managing bovine tuberculosis transmission risk from the ground up. Prev. Vet. Med. 108:137–147. , , , and .
- 1999. Elk use of private land refuges. Wildl. Soc. Bull. 27:833–839. , , and .
- 2002. Model selection and multimodel inference. A practical information-theoretic approach. 2nd ed. Springer-Verlag, New York, NY. , and .
- 2012a. Human selection of elk behavioural traits in a landscape of fear. Proc. Royal Soc. B Biol. Sci. 279:4407–4416. , , , , , and .
- 2012b. Effects of humans on behaviour of wildlife exceed those of natural predators in a landscape of fear. PLoS One 7:e50611. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Undesirable evolutionary consequences of trophy hunting. Nature 426:655–658. , , , , , and .
- 2001. Elk movement in response to early-season hunting in northwest Colorado. J. Wildl. Manag. 65:926–940. , , and .
- 2008. Infectious disease in cervids of North America. Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 1134:146–172. , , , and .
- 2007. Effects of management and climate on elk brucellosis in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem. Ecol. Appl. 17:957–964. , , , , and .
- 1970. A study of sex differential in the survival of wapiti. Canadian Wildlife Service Report Series No. 11. Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development, Ottawa.
- 2000. Characteristics of Idaho elk hunters relative to road access on public lands. Wildl. Soc. Bull. 28:1016–1022. , and .
- 2006. Demographic patterns and harvest vulnerability of chronic wasting disease infected white-tailed deer in Wisconsin. J. Wildl. Manag. 70:546–553. , , , and .
- 1933. The wapiti of the Riding Mountain, Manitoba: an ecological study and commentary. Can. Field Nat. 47:105–174.
- 2006. Prey risk allocation in a grazing ecosystem. Ecol. Appl. 16:285–298. , , , and .
- 2007. Age- and sex-specific mortality patterns in an emerging wildlife epidemic: the phocine distemper in European harbour seals. PLoS One 2:1–4. , , , , and .
- 2010. Culling wildlife hosts to control disease: mountain hares, red grouse and louping ill virus. J. Appl. Ecol. 47:926–930. , , , , and .
- 2005. Foraging in the ‘landscape of fear’ and its implications for habitat use and diet quality of elk Cervus elaphus and bison Bison bison. Wildlife Biol. 11:215–220. , and .
- 1980. The comparison of usage and availability measurements for evaluating resource preference. Ecology 61:65–71.
- 2012. Carry-over effects of spring hunt and climate on recruitment to the natal colony in a migratory species. J. Appl. Ecol. 49:1237–1246. , , , , and .
- 1969. Comparison of eruption-wear patterns and cementum annuli as age criteria in elk. J. Wildl. Manag. 33:175–180.
- 2012. Influence of habitat features and hunter behavior on white-tailed deer harvest. J. Wildl. Manag. 76:1431–1440. , , , and .
- 2007. Economic and conservation significance of the trophy hunting industry in sub-Saharan Africa. Biol. Conserv. 134:455–469. , , and .
- 2002. Resource selection by animals: statistical design and analysis for field studies. 2nd edn. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, the Netherlands. , , , , and .
- 2003. Survival and harvest vulnerability of elk in the cascade range of Washington. J. Wildl. Manag. 67:248–257. , , and .
- 2005. Epidemiology of chronic wasting disease in free-ranging mule deer: spatial, temporal, and demographic influences on observed prevalence patterns. J. Wildl. Dis. 41:275–290. , and .
- 2009. The non-impact of hunting on moose Alces alces movement, diurnal activity, and activity range. Eur. J. Wildl. Res. 55:255–265. , , and .
- 1996. Effects of bull age on conception dates and pregnancy rates of cow elk. J. Wildl. Manag. 60:508–517. , , , , and .
- 1991. Bison-brucellosis management – simulation of alternative strategies. J. Wildl. Manag. 55:205–213. , , and .
- 2009. Contrasting effects of wolves and human hunters on elk behavioral responses to predation risk. J. Wildl. Manag. 73:345–356. , , , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2012. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 1975. The policy framework for settling the Canadian west 1870–1880. Agric. Hist. 49:613–628.
- 2013. Hunter selection and long-term trend (1881–2008) of red deer trophy sizes in Hungary. J. Appl. Ecol. 50:168–180. , , , , , and .
- 2012. Occurrence, transmission, and zoonotic potential of chronic wasting disease. Emerg. Infect. Dis. 18:369–376. , , and .
- 1997. Bovine tuberculosis in free-ranging white-tailed deer from Michigan. J. Wildl. Dis. 33:749–758. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Bovine tuberculosis in Michigan wildlife and livestock. Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 969:262–268. , , , and .
- 2011. Influence of harvesting pressure on demographic tactics: implications for wildlife management. J. Appl. Ecol. 48:835–843. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Lesion distribution and epidemiology of Mycobacterium bovis in elk and white-tailed deer in south-western Manitoba, Canada. Vet. Med. Int. doi: 10.4061/2011/591980. , and .
- 2011. Interaction among deer in a chronic wasting disease endemic zone. J. Wildl. Manag. 75:1453–1461. , , , and .
- 1996. Wapiti home range and movement patterns in a sagebrush desert. Northwest Sci. 70:79–87. , and .
- 1982. Effects of hunting on habitat use by mule deer on mixed-grass prairie in Montana. Wildl. Soc. Bull. 10:115–120.
- 1993. Elk mortality in the clearwater drainage of northcentral Idaho. J. Wildl. Manag. 57:495–502. , , , and .
- 2011. Spatial and temporal factors influencing sightability of elk. J. Wildl. Manag. 75:1521–1526. , , and .
- 2012. Influence of landscape and social interactions on transmission of disease in a social cervid. Mol. Ecol. 21:1271–1282. , , and .
- 2013. Juxtaposition between host population structures: implications for pathogen transmission in a cervid community. Evol. Appl.: In press. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Effects of archery hunter numbers and opening dates on elk movement. J. Wildl. Manag. 67:717–728. , , , and .
- 2009. Host culling as an adaptive management tool for chronic wasting disease in white-tailed deer: a modelling study. J. Appl. Ecol. 46:457–466. , , , and .
- 1999. Social bonding and aggression in female Roosevelt elk. Can. J. Zool. 77:1379–1384.
- 2005. Habitat selection by yellowhammers Emberiza citrinella on lowland farmland at two spatial scales: implications for conservation management. J. Appl. Ecol. 42:270–280. , , , , and .
- 1986. Terrestrial ecozones of Canada. Environment Canada, Lands Directorate, Ottawa, Canada.
- 2011. The role of predation in disease control: a comparison of selective and nonselective removal on prion disease dynamics in deer. J. Wildl. Dis. 47:78–93. , , , and .
- 2009. The attraction of the known: the importance of spatial familiarity in habitat selection in wapiti Cervus elaphus. Ecography 32:401–410. , , , and .
- 2003. Vigilance and foraging patterns of American elk during the rut in habitats with and without predators. Can. J. Zool. 81:266–271. , and .