Bacterial colonization and extinction on marine aggregates: stochastic model of species presence and abundance
Article first published online: 3 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 13, pages 4300–4309, November 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(13): 4300–4309
- Issue published online: 13 NOV 2013
- Article first published online: 3 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 26 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 20 MAR 2013
- collaborative NSF Ecology of Infectious Disease. Grant Numbers: #0914347, #9014429
- 2006. Toxigenic Vibrio cholerae in the aquatic environment of Mathbaria, Bangladesh. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 72:2849–2855. , , , , , , et al.
- 1988. Characteristics, dynamics and significance of marine snow. Prog. Oceanogr. 20:41–82. and .
- 2006. Ecology: from individuals to ecosystems. Wiley-Blackwell, Malden, MA. , , and .
- 2005. Larger islands house more bacterial taxa. Science 308:1884–1884. , , , , , , et al.
- 1986. Enrichment of microbial populations in macroaggregates (marine snow) from surface waters of the North Atlantic. J. Mar. Res. 44:543–565. , , , and .
- 1980. Suspension feeding in ciliated protozoa: functional response and particle size selection. Microb. Ecol. 6:1–11.
- 2013. Integration of Vibrio vulnificus into marine aggregates and its subsequent uptake by Crassostrea virginica oysters. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 79:1454–1458. , , and .
- 1998. Bacterial colonization and microbial decomposition of limnetic organic aggregates (lake snow). Aquat. Microb. Ecol. 15:127–140. and .
- 2003a. Microbial dynamics on diatom aggregates in Øresund, Denmark. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 249:69–78. , , and .
- 2003b. Bacterial colonization of particles: growth and interactions. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 69:3500–3509. , , , and .
- 2004. Antagonistic activity of bacteria isolated from organic aggregates of the German Wadden Sea. FEMS Microbiol. Ecol. 47:387–396. , , , , and .
- 1959. Some characteristics of simple types of predation and parasitism. Can. Ent. 91:385–398.
- 1966. The functional response of invertebrate predators to prey density. Mem. Entomol. Soc. Can. 48:174.
- 2000. Functional response and particle size selection of Halteria cf. grandinella, a common freshwater oligotrichous ciliate. Aquat. Microb. Ecol. 22:57–68. and .
- 2008. The role of marine aggregates in the ingestion of picoplankton-size particles by suspension-feeding molluscs. Mar. Biol. 153:797–805. and .
- 2001. Formation and fate of marine snow: small-scale processes with large-scale implications. Sci. Mar. 65:57–71.
- 2003. Marine snow microbial communities: scaling of abundances with aggregate size. Aquat. Microb. Ecol. 33:67–75.
- 2002. Mechanisms and rates of bacterial colonization of sinking aggregates. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 68:3996–4006. , , , and .
- 2003. Dynamics of microbial communities on marine snow aggregates: colonization, growth, detachment, and grazing mortality of attached bacteria. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 69:3036–3047. , , , and .
- 2004. Particle-associated flagellates: swimming patterns, colonization rates, and grazing on attached bacteria. Aquat. Microb. Ecol. 35:141–152. , , , , and .
- 2012. Bad bug book – foodborne pathogenic microorganisms and natural toxins, 2nd edn. Food and Drug Administration, College Park, MD. , , and (Eds).
- 2007. Characteristics of marine aggregates in shallow-water ecosystems: implications for disease ecology. EcoHealth 4:406–420. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Theory of island biogeography on a microscopic scale: organic aggregates as islands for aquatic pathogens. Aquat. Microb. Ecol. 60:1–13. , , , , , and .
- 1967. The theory of island biogeography. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ. and .
- 2000. Stochastic population models: a compartmental perspective. Springer, New York. and .
- 2010. GillespieSSA: Gillespie's stochastic simulation algorithm (SSA).
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. Available at http://www.R-project.org/
- 1993. Modelling biological populations in space and time. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 2008. Elevated lytic phage production as a consequence of particle colonization by a marine Flavobacterium (Cellulophaga sp.). Microb. Ecol. 56:505–512. and .
- 1988. Efficiency of particle retention and filtration rate in 6 species of Northeast American bivalves. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 45:217–223. .
- 1992. Increase of microbial biomass in the benthic turbidity zone of Kiel Bight after resuspension by a storm event. Limnol. Oceanogr. 37:1081–1086. and .
- 1997. Risk assessment of opportunistic bacterial pathogens in drinking water. Rev. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 152:57–83. , , , and .
- 2002. Microbial ecology of organic aggregates in aquatic ecosystems. Aquat. Microb. Ecol. 28:175–211. , , , and .
- 1990. The role of sinking particles in the overwintering process of Vibrio parahaemolyticus in a marine environment. FEMS Microbiol. Lett. 73:159–166. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Scale, succession and complexity in island biogeography: are we asking the right questions? Glob. Ecol. Biogeogr. 9:75–85.
- 2006. Trophic regulation of Vibrio cholerae in coastal marine waters. Environ. Microbiol. 8:21–29. , , , , , , et al.