Funded by the Museum of Vertebrate Zoology and Department of Integrative Biology, the American Society of Mammalogists, Sigma Xi and NSF DDIG grant 0608467.
Role of recent and old riverine barriers in fine-scale population genetic structure of Geoffroy's tamarin (Saguinus geoffroyi) in the Panama Canal watershed
Article first published online: 13 DEC 2011
© 2011 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 2, pages 298–309, February 2012
How to Cite
Díaz-Muñoz, S. L. (2012), Role of recent and old riverine barriers in fine-scale population genetic structure of Geoffroy's tamarin (Saguinus geoffroyi) in the Panama Canal watershed. Ecology and Evolution, 2: 298–309. doi: 10.1002/ece3.79
- Issue published online: 20 FEB 2012
- Article first published online: 13 DEC 2011
- Received: 17 August 2011; Revised: 17 October 2011; Accepted: 21 October 2011
- 2004. Molecular markers, natural history, and evolution. 2nd ed. Sinauer Associates. Sunderland , MA .
- 1979. Population-structure of freshwater-fishes 1. genetic-variation of bluegill (Lepomis macrochirus) populations in man-made reservoirs. Evolution 33:5–26. , and .
- 2002. Polymorphic microsatellite loci for the mustached tamarin (Saguinus mystax) and their cross-species amplification in other New World monkeys. Mol. Ecol. Notes 2:1–3. , and .
- 1990. Genetic-structure of Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico populations of sea bass, menhaden, and sturgeon – influence of zoogeographic factors and life-history patterns. Mar. Biol. 107:371–381. , and .
- 1990. Subspecific Morphological Variation In The Saddle-Back Tamarin (Saguinus-fuscicollis). Am. J. Primatol. 21:1–15. , and .
- 2000. TCS: a computer program to estimate gene genealogies. Mol. Ecol. 9:1657–1659. , , and .
- 2004. The geology of the Darien, Panama, and the late Miocene-Pliocene collision of the Panama arc with northwestern South America. Geol. Soc. Am. Bull. 116:1327–1344. , , , and .
- 2004. Landscape connectivity influences gene flow in a roe deer population inhabiting a fragmented landscape: an individual-based approach. Mol. Ecol. 13:2841–2850. , , , , , , , , and .
- 1999. Historical biogeography of tamarins, genus Saguinus: the molecular phylogenetic evidence. Am. J. Phys. Anthropol. 108:65–89. , , and .
- 1976. Behavioral ecology of the Panamanian Tamarin, Saguinus Oedipus (Callitrichidae, Primates). PhD Thesis. Michigan State University , East Lansing , MI .
- 2011. Paternity and relatedness in a polyandrous nonhuman primate: testing adaptive hypotheses of male reproductive cooperation. Anim. Behav. 82:563–571.
- 1973. A preliminary analysis of a neotropical mammal fauna. Biotropica, Biotropica, 150–161. , and .
- 1939. Changes observed in the mammal fauna of Barro Colorado Island. Ecology 20:104–106.
- 2005. Highways block gene flow and cause a rapid decline in genetic diversity of desert bighorn sheep. Ecol. Lett. 8:1029–1038. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Microsatellite primers for the wild brown capuchin monkey Cebus apella . Mol. Ecol. 9:107–108.
- 1998. Two different primate species express an identical functional mhc class i allele. Immunogenetics 47:206–211. , , , , and .
- 1992. Analysis of molecular variance inferred from metric distances among DNA haplotypes – application to human mitochondrial-DNA restriction data. Genetics 131:479–491. , , and .
- 2005. Arlequin (version 3.0): an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evol. Bioinform. 1:47–50. , , and .
- 2005. Population structure of Columbia spotted frogs (Rana luteiventris) is strongly affected by the landscape. Mol. Ecol. 14:483–496. , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Guidelines of the American Society of Mammalogists for the use of wild mammals in research. J. Mammal. 88:809–823. , and .
- 1993. Demographic and reproductive patterns in moustached tamarin monkeys (Saguinus mystax) – implications for reconstructing platyrrhine mating systems. Am. J. Primatol. 29:235–254. , , , and .
- 1995. FSTAT (Version 1.2): a computer program to calculate F-statistics. J. Hered. 86:485–486.
- 1977. Living new world monkeys. Vol. 1. Univ. of Chicago Press, Chicago , IL .
- 1991. Evolution of the cetacean mitochondrial d-loop region. Mol. Biol. Evol. 8:475–493. , , and .
- 2005. Paternity and kinship patterns in polyandrous moustached tamarins (Saguinus mystax). Am. J. Phys. Anthropol. 127:449–464. , , , and .
- 1996. Microsatellites, from molecules to populations and back. Trends Ecol. Evol. 11:424–429. , and .
- 2005. HP-RARE 1.0: a computer program for performing rarefaction on measures of allelic richness. Mol. Ecol. Notes 5:187–189.
- 2008. Lower miocene stratigraphy along the Panama Canal and its bearing on the Central American peninsula. Plos One 3:e2791. , , and .
- 1989. Dynamics of mitochondrial-DNA evolution in animals – amplification and sequencing with conserved primers. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 86:6196–6200. , , , , , , and .
- 2003. Fine-scale genetic pattern and evidence for sex-biased dispersal in the tungara frog, Physalaemus pustulosus . Mol. Ecol. 12:3325–3334. , , , and .
- 2009. Rivers as barriers for high elevation amphibians: a phylogeographic analysis of the alpine stream frog of the Hengduan mountains. J. Zool. 277:309–316. , , , and .
- 2009. DnaSP V5: a software for comprehensive analysis of DNA polymorphism data. Bioinformatics 25:1451–1452. , and .
- 1984. Ecological determinants of genetic-structure in plant-populations. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 15:65–95. , and .
- 2000. Population genetic structure of two ecologically distinct Amazonian spiny rats: separating history and current ecology. Evolution 54:1423–1432. , , and .
- 1916. The fishes of the fresh waters of Panama. Field Museum of Natural History, Zoological Series, vol X, pp. 217–374, Chicago , IL . , and .
- 2009. Small-scale fragmentation effects on local genetic diversity in two phyllostomid bats with different dispersal abilities in Panama. Biotropica 41:95–102. , , and .
- 2009. Genetic structure of an isolated population of mantled howler monkeys (Alouatta palliata) on Barro Colorado Island, Panama. Conserv. Genet. 10:347–358. , , and .
- 1996. Nucleic Acids II: the polymerase chain reaction. Pp. 205–247 in D. M. Hillis , C. Moritz , and B. K. Mable , eds. Molecular systematics. 2nd ed. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland , MA .
- 1994. Gene genealogy and differentiation among arboreal spiny rats (Rodentia, Echimyidae) of the Amazon Basin – a test of the riverine barrier hypothesis. Evolution 48:1314–1323. , , and .
- 2006. GENALEX 6: genetic analysis in excel. Population genetic software for teaching and research. Mol. Ecol. Notes 6:288–295. , and .
- 1996. Riverine barriers and gene flow in Amazonian saddle-back tamarins. Folia Primatol. 67:113–124. , , and .
- 2008. Landscape features affect gene flow of Scottish highland red deer (Cervus elaphus). Mol. Ecol. 17:981–996. , , , , , and .
- 1998. Local genetic structure in red grouse (Lagopus lagopus scoticus): evidence from microsatellite DNA markers. Mol. Ecol. 7:1645–1654. , , , and .
- 2004. GENECLASS2: a software for genetic assignment and first-generation migrant detection. J. Hered. 95:536–539. , , , , , and .
- 1992. Genetic population-structure and levels of gene flow in the stream dwelling waterstrider, Aquarius (=Gerris) remigis (Hemiptera, Gerridae). Evolution 46:430–444. , and .
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and .
- 2010. Landscape genetics of an endangered lemur (Propithecus tattersalli) within its entire fragmented range. Mol. Ecol. 19:1606–1621. , , , , and .
- 1997. Detecting immigration by using multilocus genotypes. P. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 94:9197–9201. , and .
- 1995. An exact test for population differentiation. Evolution 49:1280–1283. , and .
- 1999. Long-term changes in the avifauna of Barro Colorado Island, Panama, a tropical forest isolate. Conservation Biology 13:85–97.
- 2008. Causes of habitat loss in a neotropical landscape: the Panama Canal corridor. Landscape Urban Plan. 87:129–139. , , and .
- 2007. Defining population boundaries: use of three Bayesian approaches with microsatellite data from British natterjack toads (Bufo calamita). Mol. Ecol. 16:785–796. , and .
- 2000. Primer3 on the WWW for general users and for biologist programmers. in S. Krawetz and S. Misener , eds. Bioinformatics methods and protocols: methods in molecular biology. Humana Press, Totowa , New Jersey . , and .
- 1970. Behavior and genetic variation in natural populations. Am. Zool. 10:53–66.
- 2004. Cross-Cordillera exchange mediated by the Panama Canal increased the species richness of local freshwater fish assemblages. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 271:1889–1896. , , and .
- 2005. Landscape genetics of the blotched tiger salamander (Ambystoma tigrinum melanostictum). Mol. Ecol. 14:2553–2564. , , , and .
- 2007. Understanding the genetic effects of recent habitat fragmentation in the context of evolutionary history: phylogeography and landscape genetics of a southern California endemic Jerusalem cricket (Orthoptera: Stenopelmatidae: Stenopelmatus). Mol. Ecol. 16:977–992. , , , and .
- 2004. MICRO-CHECKER: software for identifying and correcting genotyping errors in microsatellite data. Mol. Ecol. Notes 4:535–538. , , , and .
- 2005. Streams over mountains: influence of riparian connectivity on gene flow in the Pacific jumping mouse (Zapus trinotatus). Mol. Ecol. 14:1925–1937.
- 1852. On the monkeys of the Amazon. Proc. Zool. Soc. Lond. 20:107–110.
- 2006. What is a population? An empirical evaluation of some genetic methods for identifying the number of gene pools and their degree of connectivity. Mol. Ecol. 15:1419–1439. , and .
- 2000. Poachers alter mammal abundance, seed dispersal and seed predation in a neotropical forest. Conservation Biology 14:227–239. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Disentangling the effects of historic vs. contemporary landscape structure on population genetic divergence. Mol. Ecol. 18:3593–3602. , and .