Band reporting rates of waterfowl: does individual heterogeneity bias estimated survival rates?
Article first published online: 30 SEP 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 12, pages 4215–4220, October 2013
Total views since publication: 3
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(12): 4215–4220
- Issue published online: 23 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 30 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 28 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 27 AUG 2013
- Colorado State University
- The University of Minnesota
- 2012. Effects of radiotransmitters and breeding effort on harvest and survival rates of female mallards. Wildl. Soc. Bull. 36:286–290. , and .
- 1992. Effect of heterogeneous survival on bird-banding model confidence interval coverage rates. J. Wildl. Manag. 56:111–116.
- 1985. Statistical inference from band recovery data – a handbook. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Resource Publication, Washington, DC 156. , , , and .
- 2002. Model selection and multimodel inference: a practical information-theoretic approach, 2nd edn. Springer, New York, NY. , and .
- 1987. Design and analysis methods for fish survival experiments based on release-recapture. Am. Fish. Soc. Monogr. 5:1–437. , , , , and .
- 1997. Modelling heterogeneity in the recoveries of marked animal populations with covariates of individual animals, groups of animals or recovery time. Environ. Ecol. Stat. 4:235–246.
- 2010. Individual heterogeneity in studies on marked animals using numerical integration: capture-recapture mixed models. Ecology 91:951–957. , and .
- 2005. Computational statistics. Wiley, Hoboken, NJ. , and .
- 1976. A reward band study of mallards to estimate band reporting rates. J. Wildl. Manag. 40:1–14. , and .
- 2009. A less field-intensive robust design for estimating demographic parameters with mark-resight data. Ecology 90:313–320. , and .
- 2009. Estimating abundance using mark-resight when sampling is with replacement or the number of marked individuals is unknown. Biometrics 65:237–246. , , , and .
- 1982. Additional comments on the assumption of homogeneous survival rates in modern bird banding estimation models. J. Wildl. Manag. 46:953–962. , , , and .
- 1999. Direct recovery rates of lesser scaup banded in northwest Minnesota: sources of heterogeneity. J. Wildl. Manag. 63:389–395. and .
- 1982. Assumptions of modern band-recovery models, with emphasis on heterogeneous survival rates. J. Wildl. Manag. 46:88–98. , and .
- 1992. Band reporting rates of mallards in the Mississippi Alluvial Valley. J. Wildl. Manag. 56:526–531. , , and .
- 1992. Heterogeneous survival rates of mallards (Anas platyrhynchos). Can. J. Zool. 70:1878–1885. , and .
- 2005. The effect of reward band value on mid-continent mallard band reporting rates. J. Wildl. Manag. 69:800–804. , and .
- 1970. Estimating time-specific survival and reporting rates for adult birds from band returns. Biometrika 57:313–318.
- 2012. Harvest and dynamics of duck populations. J. Wildl. Manag. 76:1108–1116. , and .
- 1987. Asymptotic properties of maximum likelihood estimates and likelihood ratio tests under non-standard conditions. J. Am. Stat. Assoc. 82:605–610. , and .
- 1994. Variance components testing in the longitudinal mixed effects model. Biometrics 50:1171–1177. , and .
- 1999. Program MARK: survival estimation from populations of marked animals. Bird Study 46:120–139. , and .
- 2009. Factors influencing reporting and harvest probabilities in North American geese. J. Wildl. Manag. 73:710–719. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Estimating migratory game-bird productivity by integrating age ratio and banding data. Wildl. Res. 37:612–622. , , , , , and .