The genetics of phenotypic plasticity. XII. Temporal and spatial heterogeneity
Article first published online: 22 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 13, pages 4596–4609, November 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(13): 4596–4609
- Issue published online: 13 NOV 2013
- Article first published online: 22 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 23 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 2 AUG 2013
- U.S. National Science Foundation
- National Science Foundation
- United States Government
- 2004. Modeling the evolution of phenotypic plasticity. Pp. 82–97 in T. J. DeWitt and S. M. Scheiner, eds. Phenotypic plasticity functional and conceptual approaches. Oxford Univ. Press, New York. and .
- 2011. Adaptation to marginal habitats by evolution of increased phenotypic plasticity. J. Evol. Biol. 24:1462–1476. and .
- 1995. Phenotypic similarity and the evolutionary significance of countergradient variation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 10:248–252. and .
- 1999. Unpredictable selection in a structured population leads to local genetic differentiation in evolved reaction norms. J. Evol. Biol. 12:839–851.
- 2002. The influence of life-history differences on the evolution of reaction norms. Evol. Ecol. Res. 4:1–25. and .
- 2004. Phenotypic plasticity functional and conceptual approaches. Oxford Univ. Press, New York. and .
- 1998. Costs and limits of phenotypic plasticity. Trends Ecol. Evol. 13:77–81. , , and .
- 2007. Adaptive versus non-adaptive phenotypic plasticity and the potential for contemporary adaptation in new environments. Funct. Ecol. 21:394–407. , , , and .
- 1992. Quantitative genetics and the evolution of reaction norms. Evolution 46:390–411. and .
- 2012. Phylogeny meets ecotoxicology: evolutionary patterns of sensitivity to a common insecticide. Evol. Appl. 5:593–606. , , , and .
- 2009. A quantitative survey of local adaptation and fitness trade-offs. Am. Nat. 173:579–588.
- 1981. Embryological induction and predation ecology in Daphnia pulex. Limnol. Oceanogr. 26:219–223. and .
- 1966. The strategy of model building in population biology. Am. Sci. 54:421–431.
- 2010. Influence of climate on malaria transmission depends on daily temperature variation. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. 107:15135–15139. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Discordant longitudinal clines in flowering time and phytochrome C in Arabidopsis thaliana. Evolution 62:2971–2983. , , and .
- 1999. Density dependence and unpredictable selection in a heterogeneous environment: compromise and polymorphism in the ESS reaction norm. Evolution 53:1329–1342. and .
- 1998. The genetics of phenotypic plasticity. VII. Evolution in a spatially structured environment. J. Evol. Biol. 11:303–320.
- 2010. Toward a conceptual framework for biology. Q. Rev. Biol. 85:293–318.
- 2012. The genetics of phenotypic plasticity. X Variation versus uncertainty. Ecol. Evol. 2:751–767. and .
- 2011. The theory of ecology. University of Chicago Press, Chicago. and .
- 2012. The genetics of phenotypic plasticity. XI. Joint evolution of plasticity and dispersal rate. Ecol. Evol. 2:2027–2039. , , and .
- 2004. The role of phenotypic plasticity in diversification. Pp. 191–200 in T. J. DeWitt and S. M. Scheiner, eds. Phenotypic plasticity functional and conceptual approaches. Oxford Univ. Press, New York.
- 2011. The evolution of species interactions across natural landscapes. Ecol. Lett. 14:723–732.