Degrading habitats and the effect of topographic complexity on risk assessment
Article first published online: 30 SEP 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 12, pages 4221–4229, October 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(12): 4221–4229
- Issue published online: 23 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 30 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 25 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 24 MAY 2013
- ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies. Grant Number: CE0561432
- 1997. Settlement of marine organisms in flow. Ann. Rev. Ecol. System. 28:317–339. , and .
- 2006. The predation gauntlet: early post-settlement mortality in coral reef fishes. Coral Reefs 25:19–22. , and .
- 2009. Flattening of Caribbean coral reefs: region-wide declines in architectural complexity. Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond. B 276:3019–3025. , , , , and .
- 2006. Can wall lizards combine chemical and visual cues to discriminate predatory from non-predatory snakes inside refuges? Ethology 112:478–484. , , and .
- 2011. Ocean acidification and warming will lower coral reef resilience. Global Change Biol. 17:1798–1808. , , , , , , et al.
- 1971. Further studies on orientation and jumping behaviour in the gobiid fish, Bathygobius soporator. Ann. New York Acad. Sci. 188:378–392.
- 2012. Climate change and tropical biodiversity: a new focus. Trends Ecol. Evol. 27:145–150. , , and .
- 1994. Fathead minnows, Pimephales promelas, acquire predator recognition when alarm substance is associated with the sight of unfamiliar fish. Anim. Behav. 48:597–605. , and .
- 1996. The evolution of chemical alarm signals: attracting predators benefits alarm signal senders. Am. Nat. 148:649–659. , , and .
- 2001. Threat-sensitive predator avoidance by slimy sculpins: understanding the importance of visual versus chemical information. Can. J. Zool. 79:867–873. , , , and .
- 2013. Predator-induced stress and the ecology of fear. Funct. Ecol. 27:56–65. , , and .
- 2007. Relationships between direct predation and risk effects. Trends Ecol. Evol. 23:194–201. , and .
- 2005. The visual ecology of predator-prey interactions. Pp. 105–138 in P. Barbosa and I. Castellanos, eds. Ecology of Predator/Prey Interactions. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford.
- 2004. Use of refuges by the ophiuroid Ophiopholis aculeate: contrasting effects of substratum complexity on predation risk from two predators. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 284:173–183. , , and .
- 2012. High rate of prey consumption in a small predatory fish on coral reefs. Coral Reefs 31:909–918. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Sensory complementation and the acquisition of predator recognition by salmonid fishes. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 63:113–121. , , , , , and .
- 2010a. Chemical ecology of predator-prey interactions in aquatic ecosystems: a review and prospectus. Can. J. Zool. 88:698–724. , , and .
- 2010b. Turbidity as an ecological constraint on learned predator recognition and generalization in a prey fish. Anim. Behav. 79:515–519. , , and .
- 2000. Sensory compensation and the detection of predators: the interaction between chemical and visual information. Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond. B 267:571–575. , and .
- 1989. Threat-sensitive predator avoidance in damselfish-trumpetfish interactions. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 24:47–58.
- 2005. The importance of small-scale habitat structure for maintaining beta diversity. Ecology 86:1619–1626. , , , and .
- 2010. Smell, learn and live: the role of chemical alarm cues in predator learning during early life history in a marine fish. Behav. Processes 83:299–305. , and .
- 2010. Rising to the challenge of sustaining coral reef resilience. Trends Ecol. Evol. 25:633–642. , , , , and .
- 2004. Coral decline threatens fish biodiversity in marine reserves. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 101:8251–8253. , , , and .
- 1996. Temporal patterns in the size and condition of settlement in two tropical reef fishes (Pomacentridae: Pomacentrus amboinensis and P. nagasakiensis). Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 135:27–41.
- 2005. The role of chemical alarm signals in facilitating learned recognition of novel chemical cues in a coral reef fish. Anim. Behav. 69:51–57. , and .
- 2001. Wolves, elk, and bison: reestablishing the “landscape of fear” in Yellowstone National Park, U.S.A. J. Zool. 79:1401–1409. , , and .
- 2011. To fear or to feed: the effects of turbidity on perception of risk by a marine fish. Biol. Let. 7:811–813. , , , and .
- 2012. Effects of habitat fragmentation on ant richness and functional composition in Brazilian Atlantic forest. Biodiv. Conserv. 21:1687–1701. , , , , and .
- 2010. Sensory complement model helps to predict diel alarm response patterns in juvenile Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) under natural conditions. Can. J. Zool. 88:398–403. , , , and .
- 2005. The perception of predator risk - the foundation of non-lethal predator-prey interactions. Pp. 166–188 in P. Barbosa and I. Castellanos, eds. Ecology of Predator/Prey Interactions. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford. , and .
- 2011. Chemical alarm cues inform prey of predation threat: the importance of ontogeny and concentration in a coral reef fish. Anim. Behav. 82:213–218. , and .
- 2012. Learn and live: the role of predator experience in influencing prey behaviour and survival. Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond. B 279:2091–2098. , , , , and .
- 2013. Habitat degradation affect prey risk assessment. Ecol. Evol. 3:38–47. , , and .
- 2008. Predation risk assessment by olfactory and visual cues in a coral reef fish. Coral Reefs 27:105–113. , and .
- 2012. It pays to be pushy: intracohort interference competition between two reef fishes. PLoS ONE 7:e42590. , and .
- 2001. A comparison of catches of fishes and invertebrates by two light trap designs, in tropical NW Australia. Mar. Biol. 139:373–381. , , , and .
- 1984. The effects of habitat sensory compensation and the detection of predators: the interaction between chemical and visual information. Proc. Roy. Soc. B 267:571–575.
- 2011. Friend or foe? The role of latent inhibition in predator and non-predator labelling by coral reef fishes. Anim. Cogn. 14:707–714. , , , and .
- 1986. The Acanthaster phenomenon. Oceanogr. Mar. Biol. Ann. Rev. 24:379–480.
- 2011. Temporal clustering of tropical cyclones and its ecosystem impacts. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 108:17626–17630. , , and .
- 2008. Climate change and the future for coral reef fishes. Fish Fish. 9:261–285. , , , and .
- 2008. Effects of climate-induced coral bleaching on coral-reef fishes - ecological and economic consequences. Oceanogr. Mar. Biol. 46:251–296. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Coral bleaching and consequences for motile reef organisms: past, present and uncertain future effects. Pp. 139–158 in M. J. H. van Oppen, J. M. Lough, eds. Coral Bleaching: Patterns, Processes, Causes and Consequences. Springer, Berlin. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Predation on a common Anolis lizard: can the food-web effects of a devastating predator be reversed? Ecol. Monogr. 72:383–407. , , and .
- 2010. Frequency and success of ambush and chase predation in fish assemblages associated with seagrass and bare sediment in an Adriatic lagoon. Hydrobiologia 649:25–37. , and .
- 2001. Risk assessment in western mosquitofish (Gambusia affinis): do multiple cues have additive effects? Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 51:101–107. , and .
- 2008. Rats on the run: removal of alien terrestrial predators affects bush rat behaviour. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 62:1551–1558. , , , and .
- 2010. Coral bleaching: one disturbance too many for near-shore reefs of the Great Barrier Reef. Coral Reefs 29:637–648. , and .
- 2003. Spatial and temporal scales of predator avoidance: experiments with fish and snails. Ecology 84:616–622. , and .
- 2000. The fluid dynamical context of chemosensory behavior. Biol. Bull. 198:188–202.
- 2004. Coral disease on the Great Barrier Reef. Pp. 69–104 in E. Rosenberg and Y. Loya, eds. Coral Health and Disease. Springer, Berlin. , , and .
- 2006. Multiple disturbances and the global degradation of coral reefs: are reef fishes at risk or resilient? Global Change Biol. 12:2220–2234. , , , , and .
- 2009. Maintenance of fish diversity on disturbed coral reefs. Coral Reefs 28:3–14. , , , , , and .