Ecology and Evolution 2012; 2(5): 899–907
Interactive effects of past and present environments on overwintering success—a reciprocal transplant experiment
Version of Record online: 4 APR 2012
© 2011 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 5, pages 899–907, May 2012
How to Cite
Oksanen, T. A., Koivula, M., Koskela, E., Mappes, T. and Soulsbury, C. D. (2012), Interactive effects of past and present environments on overwintering success—a reciprocal transplant experiment. Ecology and Evolution, 2: 899–907. doi: 10.1002/ece3.82
- Issue online: 10 MAY 2012
- Version of Record online: 4 APR 2012
- Received: 11 May 2011; Revised: 28 October 2011; Accepted: 31 October 2011
- 1995. Delayed density-dependence in a small-rodent population. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B. 262:65–70. , , , , and .
- 2007. Analyzing linguistic data: a practical introduction to statistics using R . Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge , U.K .
- 2009. Separate and combined effects of nutrition during juvenile and sexual development on female life-history trajectories: the thrifty phenotype in a cockroach. Proc. R. Soc. B 276:3257–3264. , , , and .
- 2009. lme4: linear mixed-effects models using S4 classes, R package version 0.999375-31. Available at http://lme4.r-forge.r-project.org/. , and .
- 2004. Developmental plasticity and human health. Nature 430:419–421. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Population dynamic consequences of delayed life-history effects. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17:263–269. , , , and .
- 2009. Generalized linear mixed models: a practical guide for ecology and evolution. Trends Ecol. Evol. 24:127–135. , , , , , , and .
- 1979. Viability of large- and small-sized adults in fluctuating vole populations. Ecology 60:567–573. , and .
- 1985. Regulations of female maturation in Clethrionomys species, with special reference to an island population of C. glareolus. Ann. Zool. Fennici 22:331–342.
- 1967. The natural selection of self-regulatory behaviour in animal populations. Proc. Ecol. Soc. Aust. 2:51–78.
- 1988. Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences. 2nd ed. L Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale , NJ .
- 2008. Early nutrition and phenotypic development: ‘catch-up’ growth leads to elevated metabolic rate in adulthood. Proc. R. Soc. B 275:1565–1570. , , , and .
- 2011. Breeding state and season affect interspecific interaction types: indirect resource competition and direct interference. Oecologia 167:623–633. , , , and .
- 2001a. Mechanisms for delayed density-dependent reproductive traits in field voles, Microtus agrestis: the importance of inherited environmental effects. Oikos 95:185–197. , , , , and .
- 2001b. Life-history traits of voles in a fluctuating population respond to the immediate environment. Nature 411:1043–1045. , , and .
- 2005. Predictive adaptive responses and human evolution. Trends Ecol. Evol. 20:527–533. , , and .
- 1985. Gradients in density variations of small rodents: the importance of latitude and snow cover. Oecologia 67:394–402. , and .
- Life in varying environments: experimental evidence for delayed effects of juvenile environment on adult life history. J.Anim. Ecol., in press. , , and .
- 2000. Mechanisms of reduced and compensatory growth. Domest. Anim. Endocrinol. 19:121–132. , , , , and .
- 1998. Small mammals cycles in northern Europe: pattern and evidence for a maternal effect hypothesis. J. Anim. Ecol. 67:180–194. , and .
- 2008. The impact of dietary restriction, intermittent feeding and compensatory growth on reproductive investment and lifespan in a short-lived fish. Proc. R. Soc. B 275:1703–1708. , and .
- 2009. Cyclic hantavirus epidemics in humans – Predicted by rodent host dynamics. Epidemics 1:101–107. , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Predator-induced synchrony in population oscillations of coexisting small mammal species. Proc. R. Soc. B 272:193–202. , , , and .
- 1999. Experimental manipulation of breeding density and litter size: effects on reproductive success in the bank vole. J. Anim. Ecol. 68:513–521. , , and .
- 2009. Maternal investment in relation to sex ratio and offspring number in a small mammal – a case for Trivers and Willard theory J. Anim. Ecol. 78: 1007–1014. , , , and .
- 1998. Offspring growth, survival and reproductive success in the bank vole: a litter size manipulation experiment. Oecologia 115:379–384.
- 1998. What is an adaptive environmentally induced parental effect? Pp. 54–66 in Mousseau, T. A. and C. W. Fox, eds. Maternal effects as adaptations. Oxford Univ. Press, New York .
- 2004. Genetic basis of the t rade-off between offspring number and quality in the bank vole. Evolution 58:645–650. , and .
- 1995. Reproductive costs and litter size in the bank vole. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B. 261:19–24. , , and .
- 2008. Frequency and density-dependent selection on life-history strategies – a field experiment. PLoS One 3:e1687. , , , , , and .
- 2007. When is a maternal effect adaptive Oikos 116:1957–1963. , and .
- 2001. Compensation for a bad start: grow now, pay later Trends Ecol. Evol. 16:254–260. , and .
- 2003. Growth versus lifespan: perspectives from evolutionary ecology. Exp. Gerontol. 38:935–940. , and .
- 2008. Early growth conditions, phenotypic development and environmental change. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. B. 363:1635–1645.
- 1998. The adaptive significance of maternal effects. Trends Ecol. Evol. 13:403–407. , and .
- 2007. Effect size, confidence interval and statistical significance: a practical guide for biologists. Biol. Rev. 82:591–605. , and .
- 2002. Changes in population structure and reproduction during a 3-yr population cycle of voles. Oikos 96:331–345. , and .
- 2002. Hormonal manipulation of offspring number: maternal effort and reproductive costs. Evolution 56:1530–1537. , , and .
- 2007. The cost of reproduction induced by body size at birth and breeding density. Evolution 61:2822–2831. , , , and .
- 2001. Optimal allocation of reproductive effort: manipulation of offspring number and size in the bank vole. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B. 268:661–666. , , , and .
- 1995. Density-dependent processes in meadow voles: an experimental approach. Ecology 76:521–532. , and .
- 1993. Intrinsic density-dependent regulation of vole populations. Nature 366:259–261. , , and .
- 2004. Lifespan: catch-up growth and obesity in male mice. Nature 427:411–412. , and .
- 2006. Context-dependent intergenerational effects: the interaction between past and present environments and its effect on population dynamics. Am. Nat. 167:206–215. , , and .
- 1999. Delayed maturation in female bank voles: optimal decision or social constraint J. Anim. Ecol. 68:684–697. , , , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2009. R a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna , Austria . Available from http://www.r-project.org/.
- 2007. The predictive adaptive response and metabolic syndrome: challenges for the hypothesis. Trends Endocrinol. Metab. 18:94–99. , and .
- 1996. Incidence and consequences of inherited environmental effects. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 27:451–476.
- 2005. A poor start in life negatively affects dominance status in adulthood independent of body size in green swordtails Xiphophorus helleri. Proc. R. Soc. B 272:1917–1922. , , and .
- 2005. Restitution of mass-size residuals: validating body condition indices. Ecology 86:155–163. , , , and .
- 2006. Mothers determine offspring size in response to own juvenile growth conditions. Biol. Lett. 2:225–228.
- 1998. Density-dependent life histories in female bank voles from fluctuating populations. J. Anim. Ecol. 67:863–873. , and .
- Birth size and childhood growth as determinants of physical functioning in older age. American Journal of Epidemiology Advance Access published November 9, 2011, doi: 10.1093/aje/kwr270. , , , , , , , and .
- 1981. Social behavior of Microtus pennsylvanicus in relation to seasonal changes in demography. J. Mammal. 62:738–751. , and .
- 1981. Communal winter nesting and food sharing in taiga voles. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 9:237–240. , and .
- 2001. Effects of food addition on the seasonal density dependent structure of bank vole Clethrionomys glareolus populations. J. Anim. Ecol. 70:713–720. , , , and .