Early growth, dominance acquisition and lifetime reproductive success in male and female cooperative meerkats
Article first published online: 9 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 13, pages 4401–4407, November 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(13): 4401–4407
- Issue published online: 13 NOV 2013
- Article first published online: 9 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 26 AUG 2013
- Natural Environment Research Council. Grant Number: PFZC092
- 2002. Growing apart: an ontogenetic perspective on the evolution of sexual size dimorphism. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17:369–378.
- 2010. lme4: Linear mixed-effects models using S4 classes. R package version 0.999375-39. Available at http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=lme4. , and .
- 2009. Evolution of body condition-dependent dispersal in metapopulations. J. Evol. Biol. 22:1242–1251. , and .
- 1988. Reproductive success. Univ. of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- 2009. Sexual selection in females. Anim. Behav. 77:3–11.
- 1998. Infanticide and expulsion of females in a cooperative mammal. Proc. R. Soc. B 265:2291–2295. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Intrasexual competition and sexual selection in cooperative mammals. Nature 444:1065–1068. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Group size and the suppression of subordinate reproduction in Kalahari meerkats. Anim. Behav. 76:689–700. , , and .
- 2007. The R book. John Wiley & Sons Ltd., Chichester.
- 1977. Ecology, sexual selection, and the evolution of mating systems. Science 197:215–223. and .
- 2012. Lifetime growth in wild meerkats: incorporating life history and environmental factors into a standard growth model. Oecologia 169:143–153. , , and .
- 2000. Early development, adult mass, and reproductive success in bighorn sheep. Behav. Ecol. 11:633–639.
- 2003. A genetic analysis of breeding success in the cooperative meerkat (Suricata suricatta). Behav. Ecol. 14:472–480. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Bateman's principle in cooperatively breeding vertebrates: the effects of non-breeding alloparents on variability in female and male reproductive success. Integr. Comp. Biol. 45:903–914. and .
- 2012. Quantitative analysis of compensatory and catch-up growth in diverse taxa. J. Anim. Ecol. 81:583–593. and .
- 2007. Offspring competition and helper associations in cooperative meerkats. Anim. Behav. 74:957–964. , , and .
- 2008. Determinants of reproductive success in dominant female meerkats. J. Anim. Ecol. 77:92–102. , , , and .
- 1999. Early determinants of lifetime reproductive success differ between the sexes in red deer. Proc. R. Soc. B 266:1655–1661. , , , and .
- 2005. Aggression and submission reflect reproductive conflict between females in cooperatively breeding meerkats Suricata suricatta. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 59:541–548. and .
- 2010. Rapid weight gain after birth predicts life history and reproductive strategy in Filipino males. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 107:16800–16805. , , , and .
- 2001. Sexual size dimorphism in bighorn sheep (Ovis canadensis): effects of population density. Can. J. Zool. 79:1661–1670. , , and .
- 2012. The pattern of early growth trajectories affects adult breeding performance. Ecology 93:902–912. , , and .
- 1999. Early development and fitness in birds and mammals. Trends Ecol. Evol. 14:343–348.
- 2002. Early development, survival and reproduction in humans. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17:141–147. and .
- 2013. No evidence for adaptive sex ratio variation in the cooperatively breeding meerkat, Suricata suricatta. Anim. Behav. 85:645–653. , and .
- 2010. Data analysis and graphics using R, 3rd edn. Cambridge Univ. Press, U.K., Cambridge. and .
- 2012. Individual contributions to territory defence in a cooperative breeder: weighing up the benefits and costs. Proc. R. Soc. B 279:3989–3995. , , and .
- 2008. Early growth conditions, phenotypic development and environmental change. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. B 363:1635–1645.
- 2012. Inbreeding and inbreeding depression of early life traits in a cooperative mammal. Mol. Ecol. 21:2788–2804. , , , , , , et al.
- R Core Team. 2013. R: A language and environment for statistical computing, R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. ISBN 3-900051-07-0, URL http://www.R-project.org/
- 2009. Features of the early juvenile development predict competitive performance in male European rabbits. Physiol. Behav. 97:495–502. and .
- 2002. Factors affecting pup growth and survival in co-operatively breeding meerkats Suricata suricatta. J. Anim. Ecol. 71:700–709. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Breeding success in cooperative meerkats: effects of helper number and maternal state. Behav. Ecol. 14:486–492. , , , , and .
- 2007a. Helpers increase the reproductive potential of offspring in cooperative meerkats. Proc. R. Soc. B 274:513–520. , , , , and .
- 2007b. Reduced egg investment can conceal helper effects in cooperatively breeding birds. Science 317:941–944. , , , , and .
- 2008. Maternal investment tactics in superb fairy-wrens. Proc. R. Soc. B 275:29–36. , , , and .
- 2013. Maternal investment during pregnancy in wild meerkats. Evol. Ecol. 27:1033–1044. , , and .
- 2008. Factors affecting the reproductive success of dominant male meerkats. Mol. Ecol. 17:2287–2299. , , , and .
- 2011. Female competition and its evolutionary consequences in mammals. Biol. Rev. 86:341–366. , and .
- 2006. Infanticide by subordinates influences reproductive sharing in cooperatively breeding meerkats. Biol. Lett. 2:385–387. , and .
- 2005. Trade-offs between extraterritorial prospecting and helping in a cooperative mammal. Anim. Behav. 70:829–837. , , and .
- 2006. Stress and the suppression of subordinate reproduction in cooperatively breeding meerkats. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 103:12005–12010. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Subordinate male meerkats prospect for extra-group paternity: alternative reproductive tactics in a cooperative mammal. Proc. R. Soc. B 274:1603–1609. , , and .
- 2009. Mixed effects models and extensions in ecology with R. Springer, New York, NY. , , , , and .