Individual differences in migratory behavior shape population genetic structure and microhabitat choice in sympatric blackcaps (Sylvia atricapilla)
Article first published online: 1 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 12, pages 4278–4289, October 2013
Total views since publication: 0
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(12): 4278–4289
- Issue published online: 23 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 1 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 14 AUG 2013
- DFG. Grant Number: Scha 1008/6-1
- 2005. Assortative mating as a mechanism for rapid evolution of a migratory divide. Science 310:502–504. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Microsatellite evolution at two hypervariable loci revealed by extensive avian pedigrees. Mol. Biol. Evol. 20:54–61. , , and .
- 2009. Genetic, morphological, and feather isotope variation of migratory willow warblers show gradual divergence in a ring. Mol. Ecol. 18:3087–3096. , , , , and .
- 2000. Vogelzug. Eine aktuelle Gesamtübersicht. Edition 4. Wissenschaftliche Buchgesellschaft Darmstadt. ISBN-10: 353413656X, ISBN-13: 978-3534136568. .
- 1992. Rapid microevolution of migratory behaviour in a wild bird species. Nature 360:668–670. , , , and .
- 2006. Climate change and population declines in a long-distance migratory bird. Nature 441:81–83. , , , and .
- 2010. Avian population consequences of climate change are most severe for long-distance migrants in seasonal habitats. Proc. Biol. Sci. 277:1259–1266. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Global application of stable hydrogen and oxygen isotopes to wildlife forensics. Oecologia 143:337–348. , , and .
- 2009. Incipient speciation despite little assortative mating: the yellow-rumped warbler hybrid zone. Evolution 63:3050–3060. , and .
- 1999. Epistasis and the evolution of additive genetic variance in populations that pass through a bottleneck. Evolution 53:1009–1018. , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Description and power analysis of two tests for detecting recent population bottlenecks from allele frequency data. Genetics 144:2001–2014. , and .
- 1998. Microsatellites reveal heterosis in red deer. Proc. Biol. Sci. 265:489–495. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Speciation. Sinauer Associates 1:247–281. , and .
- 2012. Individual specialization and the seeds of adaptive radiation in Darwin's finches. Evol. Ecol. Res. 14:365–380. , , , , and .
- 1995. Size homoplasy and mutational processes of interrupted microsatellites in two bee species, Apis mellifera and Bombus terrestris (Apidae). Mol. Biol. Evol. 12:1074–1084. , , , and .
- 2005. Detecting the number of clusters of individuals using the software STRUCTURE: a simulation study. Mol. Ecol. 14:2611–2620. , , and .
- 2003. Recent changes in migratory behaviour of birds: a compilation of field observations and ringing data. in P. Berthold, E. Gwinner and E. Sonnenschein, eds. Avian migration. Springer, Berlin.
- 2005. Ecomorphology of the external flight apparatus of blackcaps (Sylvia atricapilla) with different migration behavior. Annals of the NY Acad. Sci. 1046:253–263.
- 1995. An evaluation of genetic distances for use with microsatellite loci. Genetics 139:167–178. , , , and .
- 1995. FSTAT (version 1.2): A computer program to calculate F-statistics. J. Hered. 86:1994–1995.
- 2007. Migration speed and scheduling of annual events by migrating birds in relation to climate change. Clim. Res. 35:79–91. , , , , , and .
- 1996. Genetic basis, mode of inheritance and evolutionary changes of migratory directions in palaearctic warblers (Aves: Sylviidae). J. Exp. Biol. 199:49–55.
- 2005. Using stable isotopes to trace long-distance dispersal in birds and other taxa. Divers. Distrib. 11:157–164.
- 2011. Isotopic ornithology: a perspective. J. Ornithol. 152:49–66.
- 2012. Linking hydrogen (δ2H) isotopes in feathers and precipitation: sources of variance and consequences for assignment to isoscapes. PLoS ONE 7:1–9. , , , and .
- 1995. Song rate as a signal for nest-site quality in Blackcaps (Sylvia atricapilla). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 37:399–405. , , and .
- 1992. Comparing evolvability and variability of quantitative traits. Genetics 130:195–204.
- 2009. Inferring weak population structure with the assistance of sample group information. Mol. Ecol. Res. 9:1322–1332. , , , and .
- 2011. Speeding up microevolution: the effects of increasing temperature on selection and genetic variance in a wild bird population. PLoS Biol. 9:1–9. , , and .
- 2007. CLUMPP: a cluster matching and permutation program for dealing with label switching and multimodality in analysis of population structure. Bioinformatics 23:1801–1806. , and .
- 2011. The genetics of migration on the move. Trends Ecol. Evol. 26:561–569. , , and .
- 1967. The detection of disease clustering and a generalized regression approach. Cancer Res. 27:209–220.
- 1999. Genetic architecture of fitness and nonfitness traits: empirical patterns and development of ideas. Heredity 83:103–109. , and .
- 2009. Wintering range of the Blackcap (Sylvia atricapilla) in Europe – stabilized or changing? Ring 31:45–58.
- 1975. The bottleneck effect and genetic variability in populations. Evolution 29:1–10. , , and .
- 2007. Seasonal interactions, habitat quality, and population dynamics in migratory birds. The Condor 109:535–547. , and .
- 2006. Predicting the consequences of carry-over effects for migratory populations. Biol. Lett. 2:148–151. , and .
- 1999. BOTTLENECK: A computer program for detecting recent reductions in the effective population size using allele frequency data. J. Hered. 90:502–503. , , and .
- 2007. Speciation in birds. Roberts & Company Publishers, Greenwood Village, Colorado. ISBN 0-9747077-8-3.
- 1998. Patterns of molecular evolution in avian microsatellites. Mol. Biol. Evol. 15:997–1008. , and .
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and .
- 2011. Low genetic differentiation among reed warbler Acrocephalus scirpaceus populations across Europe. J. Avian Biol. 42:103–113. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Current selection for lower migratory activity will drive the evolution of residency in a migratory bird population. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 107:7341–7346. , and .
- 1996. Frequency of migrants and migratory activity are genetically correlated in a bird population: Evolutionary implications. PNAS 93:14642–14647. , , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2010. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 2003. Correlation between fitness and genetic diversity. Conserv. Biol. 17:230–237. , and .
- 2009. Non-breeding season events influence sexual selection in a long-distance migratory bird. Proc. Biol. Sci. 276:1619–1626. , , , , , and .
- 1983. Estimation of the coancestry coefficient: basis for a short-term genetic distance. Genetics 105:767–779. , , and .
- 2009. Contemporary evolution of reproductive isolation and phenotypic divergence in sympatry along a migratory divide. Curr. Biol. 19:2097–2101. , , , and .
- 2010. Spring arrival along a migratory divide of sympatric blackcaps (Sylvia atricapilla). Oecologia 162:175–183. , , and .
- 2012. Differences in timing of migration and response to sexual signalling drive asymmetric hybridization across a migratory divide. J. Evol. Biol. 25:1741–1750. , , and .
- 2008. Isolation of 10 tetranucleotide microsatellite loci in the blackcap (Sylvia atricapilla). Mol. Ecol. Res. 8:1108–1110. , , , , and .
- 2001. Sylvia Warblers. in G. Kirwan and L. Svensson, eds. Identification, taxonomy, and phylogeography of the genus Sylvia. A&C Black, London. , , and .
- 1995. A measure of population subdivision based on microsatellite allele frequencies. Genetics 462:457–462.
- 1997. The birds of the Western Palaeartic. Oxford University Press; Abridged edition. ISBN-10: 019854099X, ISBN-13: 978-0198540991. , and .
- 2012. Stable-hydrogen isotope measures of natal dispersal reflect observed population declines in a threatened migratory songbird. Divers. Distrib. 18:919–930. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Heritability of fitness components in a wild bird population. Evolution 63:716–726. , , , and .
- 2006. The change in quantitative genetic variation with inbreeding. Evolution 60:2428–2434. , and .
- 2003. Comparative equilibration and online technique for determination of non-exchangeable hydrogen of keratins for use in animal migration studies. Isot. Environ. Health Stud. 39:211–217. , and .
- 2002. Links between worlds: unraveling migratory connectivity. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17:76–83. , , , , and .
- 2004. Redistribution of gene frequency and changes of genetic variation following a bottleneck in population size. Genetics 167:1475–1492. , , and .