Predicting grey-sided vole occurrence in northern Sweden at multiple spatial scales
Version of Record online: 6 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 13, pages 4365–4376, November 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(13): 4365–4376
- Issue online: 13 NOV 2013
- Version of Record online: 6 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 3 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 23 APR 2013
- stiftelsen Oscar och Lili Lamms minne
- Helge Ax:son Johnsons stiftelse
- Swedish Research Council Formas
- Stockholm Resilience Centre
- Stockholm University
- Strategic Research Programme EkoKlim
- Anonymous. 2008. kNN- Sweden 2000. Department of Forest Resource Management, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Umeå, Sweden.
- Anonymous. 2010. kNN-Sweden. 2005. Department of Forest Resource Management, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Umeå, Sweden.
- Anonymous. 2012. kNN- Sweden 2010. Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Dept. of Forest Resource Management.
- 2006. Isolation and edge effects among woodland key-habitats in Sweden: Is forest policy promoting fragmentation? Biol. Conserv. 124:89–95. , , and .
- 2001. Retrospective gap-analysis in a Swedish boreal forest landscape using historical data. For. Ecol. Manage. 5229:1–14. , and .
- 2000. Biodiversity, disturbances, ecosystem function and management of European forests. For. Ecol. Manage. 132:39–50. , , , and .
- 2013. Protected areas in a landscape dominated by logging – A connectivity analysis that integrates varying protection levels with competition-colonization tradeoffs. Biol. Conserv. 160:279–288. , , and .
- 1984. Species composition of bird communities and the conservation benefit of large versus small forests. Biol. Conserv. 30:173–187. , and .
- 2010. MatrixGreen user's manual: landscape ecological network analysis tool. Stockholm university and Royal Institute of Technology (KTH), Stockholm. , and .
- 2006. The value of small size: loss of forest patches and ecological thresholds in southern Madagascar. Ecol. Appl. 16:440–451. , , , , and .
- 2002. Dispersal distance of mammals is proportional to home range size. Ecology 83:2049–2055. , , , and .
- 2002. Model selection and multimodel inference: a practical information-theoretic approach, 2nd ed. Springer, New York, Berlin, Heidelberg. , and .
- 2006. Habitat preferences of Clethrionomys rufocanus in boreal Sweden. Landscape Ecol. 21:185–194. , and .
- 2008. Can landscape properties predict occurrence of grey-sided voles? Popul. Ecol. 50:169–179. , , , , and .
- 2008. Distribution of specialist and generalist species along spatial gradients of habitat disturbance and fragmentation. Oikos 117:507–514. , , and .
- 2001. Abundance and diversity of small mammals in relation to structural habitat factors. Ecol. Bull. 49:165–171. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Population dynamics of small mammals in relation to forest age and structural habitat factors in northern Sweden. J. Appl. Ecol. 39:781–792. , , and .
- 2006. Identification of landscape elements related to local declines of a boreal grey-sided vole population. Landscape Ecol. 21:485–497. , , , and .
- 2010. Landscape structure and the long-term decline of cyclic grey-sided voles in Fennoscandia. Landscape Ecol. 25:551–560. , , , , , and .
- 2013. Spatiotemporal changes in the landscape structure of forests in northern Sweden. Scand. J. Forest Res. doi: 10.1080/02827581.2013.822090. , , and .
- ESRI. 2012. ArcGIS. Environmental Systems Resource Institute, Redlands, CA.
- 1997. Boreal forests. Boreal ecosystems and landscapes: structures, processes and conservation of biodiversity. Ecol. Bull. 46: 16–47. , , , and .
- 2013. Assessing the role of landscape connectivity in recent woodpecker range expansion in Mediterranean Europe: forest management implications. Eur. J. Forest Res. 132: 181–194. , , , , and .
- 1990. Computer aided forest stand delineation and inventory based on satellite remote sensing. Pp. 94–105. in The usability of remote sensing for forest inventory and planning, SNS/IUFRO workshop, Umeå, Sweden. .
- 1994. Vertebrate distributions relative to clear-cut edges in a boreal forest landscape. Landscape Ecol. 9: 105–115.
- 1992. Rodent dynamics and community structure: Clethrionomys rufocanus in northern Fennoscandia and Hokkaido. Ann. Zool. Fenn. 29:1–6. , , and .
- 1978. Synchronous population fluctuations in voles, small game, owls and tularemia in northern Sweden. Oecologia 32:141–152.
- 1994. Delayed density dependence as a determinant of vole cycles. Ecology 75:791–806.
- 2004. Long-term decline in numbers of cyclic voles in boreal Sweden: analyses and presentation of hypotheses. Oikos 107:376–392.
- 2012. Miljöövervakning av smådäggdjur. Last updated 2012-04-06. Available at http://www2.vfm.slu.se/projects/hornfeldt/index3.html. (In Swedish). .
- 2006. Long-term decline and local extinction of Cleithronomys rufocanus in boreal Sweden. Landscape Ecol. 21:1135–1150. , , , and .
- 2008. Collapsing population cycles. Trends Ecol. Evol. 23:79–86. , , and .
- 1999. Habitat selection of grey-sided voles and bank voles in two subalpine populations in southern Norway. Ann. Zool. Fenn. 36:215–222. , and .
- 2006. Spatial segregation of specialists and generalists in bird communities. Ecol. Lett. 9:1237–1244. , , , , and .
- 1957. Regulation of reproduction rate in subarctic populations of the red vole Clethrionomys rufocanus (Sund.). Annales Academiae Scientiarum Fennicae, Series A, IV. Biologica 34:1–60.
- 2008. Linking climate change to lemming cycles. Nature 456:93–97. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. More species, fewer specialists: 100 years of changes in community composition in an island biogeographical study. Divers. Distrib. 15:641–648. , , , and .
- 1994. Biodiversity and community structure of temperate butterfly species within a gradient of human disturbance: an analysis based on the concept of generalist vs. specialist strategies. Res. Popul. Ecol. 36:187–199. , and .
- 2010. Woodland key habitats evaluated as part of a functional reserve network. Biol. Conserv. 143:1212–1227. , , and .
- Lantmäteriet. 2005. Översiktlig beskrivning av produkten och produktionen av Svenska CORINE Marktäckedata – Teknisk slutrapport. (In English: A general overview of the product and production of the Swedish CORINE Land Cover Data – a final technical report.) Internal document number SCMD-0020. 34p.
- 2002. Conserving forest biodiversity. Island press, Covelo, California. , and .
- 1994. Vole cycles, snow depth and fox predation. Oikos 70:156–160. , and .
- 1995. Spatial organization of cyclic Clethrionomys females: occupancy of all available space at peak densities? Oikos 72:29–35.
- 1992. Discriminant analysis and statistical pattern recognition. John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- 1999. Population fluctuations of voles in North Fennoscandian tundra: contrasting dynamics in adjacent areas with different habitat composition. Oikos 86:463–478. , , , , and .
- 2006. Comparison and development of new graph-based landscape connectivity indices: towards the priorization of habitat patches and corridors for conservation. Landscape Ecol. 21:959–967. , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2008. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. ISBN 3-900051-07-0, URL http://www.R-project.org.
- 2003. Countrywide estimates of forest variables using satellite data and field data from the national forest inventory. Ambio 32, 542–548. , , , , , , , and .
- 1995. Sexual differences in natal dispersal and philopatry of the grey-sided vole. Res. Popul. Ecol. 37:49–57.
- 2010. A common currency for the different ways in which patches and links can contribute to habitat availability and connectivity in the landscape. Ecography 33:527–537. , and .
- 2009. Conefor Sensinode 2.2: a software package for quantifying the importance of habitat patches for landscape connectivity. Environ. Modelling and Soft. 24:135–139. , and .
- 1968. Nordeuropas däggdjur. P.A. Norstedt and Söners förlag, Stockholm. (In Swedish). .
- StataCorp. 2011. Stata statistical software: Release 12. StataCorp LP, College Station, TX. www.stata.com.
- StatSoft, Inc. 2011. STATISTICA (data analysis software system), version 10. www.statsoft.com.
- 2009. The stone and boulder content of Swedish forest soils. Catena 77:285–291. , , and .
- 2003. Does matrix resistance influence Red squirrel (Sciurus vulgaris L. 1758) distribution in an urban landscape? Landscape Ecol. 18:791–805. , , , and .
- 1977. Social organization in cyclic subarctic populations of the voles Clethrionomys rufocanus (Sund.) and Microtus agrestis (L.). Ann. Zool. Fenn. 14:53–93.
- 1999. Demography of small mammals in cold regions: the importance of environmental variability. Ecol. Bull. 47:137–144. , and .