Reef fish hybridization: lessons learnt from butterflyfishes (genus Chaetodon)
Article first published online: 13 DEC 2011
© 2011 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 2, pages 310–328, February 2012
How to Cite
Montanari, S. R., van Herwerden, L., Pratchett, M. S., Hobbs, J.-P. A. and Fugedi, A. (2012), Reef fish hybridization: lessons learnt from butterflyfishes (genus Chaetodon). Ecology and Evolution, 2: 310–328. doi: 10.1002/ece3.83
- Issue published online: 20 FEB 2012
- Article first published online: 13 DEC 2011
- Received: 27 October 2011; Accepted: 31 October 2011
- 1989. Species composition, distribution and abundance of chaetodontidae along reef transects in the Flores Sea. Neth. J. Sea Res. 23:85–93. , and .
- 1979. The fishes of Christmas Island, Indian Ocean. Australian Parks Service, Special Publication 2:1–81. , and .
- 1998. A guide to angelfishes and butterflyfishes. Odissey Publishing, Perth . , , and .
- 2007. Fishes of Christmas Island. 2nd ed. Christmas Island Natural History Association, Christmas Island, Indian Ocean Australia . , , and .
- 1996. Conservation and genetics of salmonid fishes. Pp. 238–280 in J. C. Avise and J. L. Hamrick , eds. Conservation genetics: case histories from nature. Chapman and Hall, New York . , and .
- 1997. Natural hybridization and evolution. Oxford Univ. Press, New York .
- 2010. Hybrid fitness across time and habitats. Trends Ecol. Evol. 25:530–536. , and .
- 2004. Interspecific hybridization between Atlantic salmon and brown trout introduced in the subantarctic Kerguelen islands. Aquaculture 230:81–88. , , , , and .
- 2005. Biodiversity hotspots: evolutionary origins of biodiversity in wrasses (Halichoeres: Labridae) in the Indo-Pacific and new world tropics. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 35:235–253. , and .
- 1985. Analysis of hybrid zones. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 16:113–148. , and .
- 2010. Evolutionary history of the butterflyfishes (f: Chaetodontidae) and the rise of coral feeding fishes. J. Evolution. Biol. 23:335–349. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Evolution of coral reef fish Thalassoma spp. (Labridae). 1. Molecular phylogeny and biogeography. Mar. Biol. 144:369–375. , , , , and .
- 2005. Within-reef differences in diet and body condition of coral-feeding butterflyfishes (Chaetodontidae). Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 287:217–227. , , and .
- 1989. Biogeography of the chaetodontidae: an analysis of allopatry among closely related species. Environ. Biol. Fish. 25:9–31.
- 2011. Analysis of individual year-classes of a marine fish reveals little evidence of first-generation hybrids between cryptic species in sympatric regions. Mar. Biol. 158:1815–1827. , , and .
- 1987. Natural hybridization and introgression in fishes: methods of detection and genetic interpretations. Pp. 161–192 in N. Ryman , and F. Utter , eds. Population genetics and fishery management. Univ. of Washington Press, Seattle , WA .
- 2007. Microsatellite null alleles and estimation of population differentiation. Mol. Biol. Evol. 24:621–631. , and .
- 2008. Diversity and functional importance of coral-feeding fishes on tropical coral reefs. Fish and Fisheries 9:286–307. , , and .
- 2007. A molecular phylogeny of the groupers of the subfamily Epinephelinae (Serranidae) with a revised classification of the Epinephelini. Ichthyol. Res. 54:1–17. , and .
- 2010. SMOGD: software for the measurement of genetic diversity. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 10:556–557.
- 2010. Sympatric speciation in a genus of marine reef fishes. Mol. Ecol. 19:2089–2105. , , and .
- 1994. Acanthochromis polyacanthus, a fish lacking larval dispersal, has genetically differentiated populations at local and regional scales on the Great Barrier Reef. Mar. Biol. 121:11–21. , , and .
- 1966. Atlas of protein sequence and structure. National Biomedical Research Foundation, Silver Springs , Maryland . , and .
- 1992. Analysis of molecular variance inferred from metric distances among DNA haplotypes: application to human mitochondrial DNA restriction data. Genetics 131:479–491. , , and .
- 2005. Arlequin ver. 3.0: An integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evolutionary Bioinformatics Online 1:47–50. , , and .
- 1968. Hybridization between the Western Atlantic Angelfishes, Holacanthus isabelita and H. ciliaris . Bull. Mar. Sci. 18:351–382.
- 2007. Molecular phylogenetics of the butterflyfishes (Chaetodontidae): taxonomy and biogeography of a global coral reef fish family. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 45:50–68. , and .
- 2001. Global, regional, and local patterns in species richness and abundance of butterflyfishes. Ecol. Monogr. 71:69–91. , and .
- 1980. Speciation in the hamlets (Hypoplectrus: Serranidae): a continuing enigma. Copeia 1980:649–659.
- 2006. Field and experimental studies of hybridization between coral trouts, Plectropomus leopardus and Plectropomus maculatus (Serranidae), on the Great Barrier Reef, Australia. J. Fish Biol. 68L:1013–1025. , and .
- 1977. Natural hybridization between Platichthys stellatus and Kareius bicoloratus . JPN. J. Genet. 52:117–124.
- 1989. Natural hybridization between Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar, and brown trout, Salmo trutta, in northern Spain. J. Fish Biol. 34:41–46. , and .
- 1997. Hybridization in the sea. Adv. Mar. Biol. 31:1–78.
- 1948. Speciation in the fishes of the Genus Menidia . Evolution 2:306–313.
- 1995. Fstat version 1.2: a computer program to calculate Fstatistics. J. Hered. 86:485–486.
- 2007. Ecological versatility and the decline of coral feeding fishes following climate driven coral mortality. Mar. Biol. 153:119–127.
- 2002. Unpredictable evolution in a 30-year study of Darwin's finches. Science 296:707–711. , and .
- 2003. A simple, fast, and accurate algorithm to estimate large phylogenies by maximum likelihood. Syst. Biol. 52:696–704. , and .
- 1989. Implications of feeding specialization on the recruitment processes and community structure of butterflyfishes. Environ. Biol. Fish. 25:101–110.
- 2008. Cohabitation of Indian and Pacific ocean species at Christmas and Cocos (Keeling) islands. Coral Reefs 27:933–933. , and .
- 2009. Marine hybrid hotspot at Indo-Pacific biogeographic border. Biol. Lett. 5:258–261. , , , and .
- 2010. New records of marine fishes illustrate the biogeographic importance of Christmas Island, Indian Ocean. Zootaxa 2422:63–68. , , , , , , and .
- Hybridization among coral reef butterflyfishes. in M. S. Pratchett , M. L. Berumen , and B. G. Kapoor , eds. Biology of butterflyfish. Science Publishers Inc., Enfield , New Hampshire . , , , and . (In press).
- 1955. Hybridization between fish species in nature. Syst. Biol. 4:1–20.
- 2001. MRBAYES: Bayesian inference of phylogenetic trees. Bioinformatics 17:754–755. , and .
- 2008. adegenet: a R package for the multivariate analysis of genetic markers. Bioinformatics 24:1403–1405.
- 2010. Discriminant analysis of principal components: a new method for the analysis of genetically structured populations. BMC Genetics 11:94–108. , , and .
- 2008. GST and its relatives do not measure differentiation. Mol. Ecol. 17:4015–4026.
- 1969. Evolution of protein molecules Academic Press, New York . , and .
- 2002. Butterflyfishes. Bannerfishes and their relatives. TMC Publishing, Chorleywood U.K .
- 2007. Phylogenetic relationships and natural hybridization in rabbitfishes (Teleostei: Siganidae) inferred from mitochondrial and nuclear DNA analyses. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 45:69–80. , , , , and .
- 2010. Isolation and characterization of 29 microsatellite loci for studies of population connectivity in the butterflyfishes Chaetodon trifascialis and Chaetodon lunulatus . Conserv. Genetics Resour. 2:209–213. , , and .
- 2005. Hybridization as an invasion of the genome. Trends Ecol. Evol. 20:229–237.
- 2007. Hybridization of reef fishes at the Indo-Pacific biogeographic barrier: a case study. Coral Reefs 26:841–850. , , , and .
- 2007. Interspecific spawning between a recent immigrant and an endemic damselfish (Pisces: Pomacentridae) in the Hawaiian Islands. Pac. Sci. 61:211–221. , and .
- 1995. Concordant evolutionary patterns among Indo-West Pacific butterflyfishes. Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond. B. Biol. Sci. 260:229–236. , and .
- 1997. Rapid rate of control-region evolution in Pacific butterflyfishes (Chaetodontidae). J. Mol. Evol. 45:473–484. , and .
- 1999. Color pattern evolution, assortative mating, and genetic differentiation in brightly colored butterflyfishes (Chaetodontidae). Evolution 53:247–260. , , and .
- 2010. Blending of animal colour patterns by hybridization. Nature Communications 1:66. , , and .
- 2009. Ocean acidification impairs olfactory discrimination and homing ability of a marine fish. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 106:1848–1852. , , , , , , and .
- 2000. Molecular evolution and phylogenetics. Oxford Univ. Press, New York . , and .
- 2003. Evidence of a hybrid-zone in Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) in the Baltic and the Danish Belt Sea revealed by individual admixture analysis. Mol. Ecol. 12:1497–1508. , , , , and .
- 1934. A systematic monograph of the flatfishes (Heterostomata). Natural History Section of the British Museum, London U.K .
- 2006. GENALEX 6: genetic analysis in Excel. Population genetic software for teaching and research. Mol. Ecol. Notes 6:288–295. , and .
- 2005. Distribution and community structure of butterflyfishes (Pisces: Chaetodontidae) in Southern Mozambique. Western Indian Ocean J. Mar. Sci. 4:39–46. , and .
- 1997a. Genetic and color interactions at a contact zone of Acanthochromis polyacanthus: a marine fish lacking pelagic larvae. Evolution 51:1232–1243. , and .
- 1997b. Genetic relationships of the colour morphs of Acanthochromis polyacanthus (Pomacentridae) on the northern Great Barrier Reef. Mar. Biol. 130:109–117. , and .
- 2001. Strong genetic divergence among populations of a marine fish with limited dispersal, Acanthochromis polyacanthus, within the Great Barrier Reef and the Coral Sea. Evolution 55:2263–2273. , , and .
- 2008. jModelTest: phylogenetic model averaging. Mol. Biol. Evol. 25:1253–1256.
- 2005. Dietary overlap among coral-feeding butterflyfishes (Chaetodontidae) at Lizard Island, Northern Great Barrier Reef. Mar. Biol. 148:373–382.
- 2004. Sublethal effects of coral bleaching on an obligate coral feeding butterflyfish. Coral Reefs 23:352–356. , , , and .
- 2006a. Is there a reproductive basis to solitary living versus pair-formation in coral reef fishes? Coral Reefs 25:85–92. , , and .
- 2006b. Declines in the abundance of Chaetodon butterflyfishes following extensive coral depletion. J. Fish. Biol. 69:1269–1280. , , and .
- 1957. Shortest connection networks and some generalizations. Bell System Technical Journal 36:1389–1401.
- 1994. A review of hybridization in marine angelfishes (Perciformes: Pomacanthidae). Environ. Biol. Fish. 41:127–145. , and .
- 1956. Acanthurus rackliffei, a possible hybrid surgeon fish (A. achilles x A. glaucopareius) from the Phoenix Islands. Copeia 1956:21–25.
- 1977. Five probable hybrid butterfly fishes of the genus Chaetodon from the central and western Pacific. Record. West. Aust. Mus. 6:3–26. , , and .
- 1996. Extinction by hybridization and introgression. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 27:83–109. , and .
- 2007. Hybridization in postglacial marine habitats. Mol. Ecol. 16:3971–3972. , and .
- 2008. Genepop’007: a complete re-implementation of the genepop software for Windows and Linux. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 8:103–106.
- 2000. Bay-scale population structure in coastal Atlantic cod in Labrador and Newfoundland, Canada. J. Fish. Biol. 56:431–447. , , , , , and .
- 1987. The Neighbor-joining method: a new method for reconstructing phylogenetic trees. Mol. Biol. Evol. 4:406–425. , and .
- 1989. Molecular cloning: a laboratory manual, 2nd edn. Cold Spring Harbour Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbour , New York . , , and .
- 2000. Hybridization in freshwater fishes: a review of case studies and cytonuclear methods of biological inference. Rev. Fish. Biol. Fisher. 10:293–323. , , and .
- 2004. Hybridization and adaptive radiation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 19:198–207.
- 2000. Genetic population structure indicates sympatric speciation of Lake Malawi pelagic cichlids. Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond. B. Biol. Sci. 267:2273–2280. , , , , and .
- 2007. Bootscore: a bootstrap tree scoring utility. Version 3.11. Available at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/bootscore.
- 2004. Prospects for inferring very large phylogenies by using the neighbor-joining method. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 101:11030–11035. , , and .
- 2007. MEGA4: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis (MEGA) software version 4.0. Mol. Biol. Evol. 24:1596–1599. , , , and .
- 2006. Speciation in reverse: morphological and genetic evidence of the collapse of a three-spined stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus) species pair. Mol. Ecol. 15:343–355. , , and , , , and .
- 1994. CLUSTAL W: improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, position-specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucleic Acids Res. 22:4673–4680. , , and .
- 2004. Sampling rare or elusive species: concepts, designs, and techniques for estimating population parameters Island Press, Washington , D. C.
- 2001. How many species of cichlid fishes are there in African lakes? Mol. Ecol. 10:793–806. , , , , and .
- 2006. Contrasting genetic structures across two hybrid zones of a tropical reef fish, Acanthochromis polyacanthus (Bleeker 1855). J. Evolution. Biol. 19:239–252. , and .
- 2002. Phylogenetic and evolutionary perspectives of the Indo-Pacific grouper Plectropomus species on the Great Barrier Reef, Australia. J. Fish. Biol. 60:1591–1596. , , and .
- 2006. Contrasting patterns of genetic structure in two species of the coral trout Plectropomus (Serranidae) from east and west Australia: Introgressive hybridization or ancestral polymorphisms. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 41:420–435. , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Micro-checker: software for identifying and correcting genotyping errors in microsatellite data. Mol. Ecol. Notes 4:535–538. , , , and .
- 2003. Origin of the superflock of Cichlid fishes from Lake Victoria, East Africa. Science 300:325–329. , , , and .
- 1991. Chelex-100 as a medium for simple extraction of DNA for PCR-based typing from forensic material. Biotechniques 10:506–513. , , and .
- 1999. Mother species-father species: unidirectional hybridization in animals with female choice. Anim. Behav. 58:1–12.
- 2007. A rare hybridization event in two common Caribbean wrasses (genus Halichoeres; family Labridae). Coral Reefs 26:597–602. , , and .
- 2006. Hybridization in coral reef fishes: introgression and bi-directional gene exchange in Thalassoma (family Labridae). Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 40:84–100. , , , and .
- 1997. Spawning migrations in the monogamous butterflyfish Chaetodon trifasciatus . Ichthyol. Res. 44:177–182.
- 2006. Garli – genetic algorithm for rapid likelihood inference. Available at http://www.bio.utexas.edu/faculty/antisense/garli/Garli.html.