A first-generation microsatellite linkage map of the ruff
Article first published online: 24 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 14, pages 4631–4640, November 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(14): 4631–4640
- Issue published online: 25 NOV 2013
- Article first published online: 24 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 6 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 3 JUN 2013
- UK Natural Environment Research Council
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada. Grant Number: PGS-D3
- 1997. Gapped BLAST and PSI-BLAST: a new generation of protein database search programs. Nucleic Acids Res. 25:3389–3402. , , , , , and .
- 2008. A gene-based genetic linkage map of the collared flycatcher (Ficedula albicollis) reveals extensive synteny and gene-order conservation during 100 million years of avian evolution. Genetics 179:1479–1495. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Trapped in the extinction vortex? Strong genetic effects in a declining vertebrate population. BMC Evol. Biol. 33:1471–2148. , , , and .
- 2001. Signalling individual identity versus quality: a model and case studies with ruffs, queleas, and house finches. Am. Nat. 158:75–86. , , and .
- 2006. A predicted microsatellite map of the passerine genome based on chicken–passerine sequence similarity. Mol. Ecol. 5:1299–1320. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Gene order and recombination rate in homologous chromosome regions of the chicken and a passerine bird. Mol. Biol. Evol. 7:1537–1552. , , , , , and .
- 2010. New methods to identify conserved microsatellite loci and develop primer sets of high utility – as demonstrated for birds. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 10:475–494. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Isolation, characterisation and predicted genome locations of ruff (Philomachus pugnax, AVES) microsatellite loci. Conserv. Genet. Resour. 24:763–771. , , , , and .
- 1990. CRIMAP Documentation, version 2.4. Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO. , , and .
- 2007. The evolution of the avian genome as revealed by comparative molecular cytogenetics. Cytogenet. Genome Res. 117:64–77. , , , and .
- 1966. Social behavior of the ruff (Philomachus pugnax). Ardea 54:108–229.
- 1989. Plumage color correlates with body size in the ruff (Philomachus pugnax). Auk 106:336–338. , and .
- 2009. Multiplex Manager 1.0: a cross-platform computer program that plans and optimizes multiplex PCR. Biotechniques 7:511–517. , and .
- 2006. Meiotic crossing-over: obligation and interference. Cell 126:246–248. , and .
- 2006. Permanent female mimics in a lekking shorebird. Biol. Lett. 2:161–164. , and .
- 2007. Revising how the computer program CERVUS accommodates genotyping error increases success in paternity assignment. Mol. Ecol. 16:1099–1106. , , and .
- 2008. Enhanced cross-species utility of conserved microsatellite markers in shorebirds. BMC Genomics 9:502–522. , , , and .
- 1995. Genetic polymorphism for alternative mating behaviour in lekking male ruff, Philomachus pugnax. Nature 378:59–62. , , , , and .
- 2013. A dominant allele controls development into female mimic male and diminutive female ruffs. Biol. Lett. (in press). , , , , and .
- 2006. Mapping of panda plumage colour locus on the microsatellite linkage map of the Japanese quail. BMC Genet. 7:1471–2156. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. The evolution of cooperative and pair breeding in thornbills Acanthiza (Pardalotidae). J. Avian Biol. 31:165–176. , , , and .
- 2001. Parentage assignment and extra-group paternity in a cooperative breeder: the Seychelles warbler (Acrocephalus sechellensis). Mol. Ecol. 10:2263–2273. , , , , and .
- 2008. GENEPOP'007: a complete re-implementation of the GENEPOP software for Windows and Linux. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 8:103–106.
- 2007. Inferring local adaptation from QST–FST comparisons: neutral genetic and quantitative trait variation in European populations of great snipe. J. Evol. Biol. 20:1563–1576. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Intrachromosomal rearrangements in avian genome evolution: evidence for regions prone to breakpoints. Heredity 108:37–41. , and .
- 2002. A genome scan for QTL in a wild population of red deer (Cervus elaphus). Genetics 162:1863–1873. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Characterization of microsatellite loci isolated in mountain plover (Charadrius montanus). Mol. Ecol. Resour. 7:802–804. , and .
- 2008. A linkage map of the zebra finch Taeniopygia guttata provides new insight into avian genome evolution. Genetics 179:651–667. , , , and .
- 2002. Characterization of polymorphic microsatellite DNA markers in the ruff (Philomachus pugnax). Mol. Ecol. Notes 2:276–277. , , and .
- 1973. Behavioural dimorphism in male ruffs Philomachus pugnax (L.). Behaviour 47:153–229.
- 2012. The interplay between habitat availability and population differentiation: a case study on genetic and morphological structure in an inland wader (Charadriiformes). Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 106:641–656. , , , , , and .
- 2002. MapChart: software for the graphical presentation of linkage maps and QTLs. J. Hered. 1:77–78.