These authors contributed equally to this work.
Projected marine climate change: effects on copepod oxidative status and reproduction
Version of Record online: 21 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 13, pages 4548–4557, November 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(13): 4548–4557
- Issue online: 13 NOV 2013
- Version of Record online: 21 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 9 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 23 JUN 2013
- Stockholm University
- Academy of Finland. Grant Numbers: 125251, 255566
- Maj and Tor Nessling Foundation
- Walter and Andrée de Nottbeck Foundation
- Kone Foundation
- Research and Development Institute ARONIA
- Swedish Research Council for the Environment, Agricultural Sciences and Spatial Planning
- Swedish Environmental Protection Agency
- Ivar Bendixsons Stipendiefond
- 2010. Oxidative stress generation by microcystins in aquatic animals: why and how. Environ. Int. 36:226–235. and .
- 2011. Exposure to low level environmental agents: the induction of hormesis. Mutat. Res. 726:89–90.
- 2002. Formation of the gut in the two naupliar stages of Acartia clausi and Hemidiaptomus roubaui (Copepoda, Calanoida): comparative structural and ultrastructural aspects. Can. J. Zool. 80:232–244. , , , and .
- 2013. Impacts of ocean acidification on marine seafood. Trends Ecol. Evol. 28:178–186. , , , and .
- 2009. Temperature, but not pH, compromises sea urchin fertilization and early development under near-future climate change scenarios. Proceedings of the Royal Society 276:1883–1888. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Anthropogenic carbon and ocean pH. Nature 425:365. and .
- 2004. The influence of temperature and salinity on Acartia (Copepoda: Calanoida) nauplii survival. Mar. Biol., 145:733–738. and .
- 2000. Effects of physical (hypoxia, hyperoxia) and chemical (potassium dichromate, fenitrothion) stress on antioxidant enzyme activities in Chironomus riparius Mg. (Diptera, Chironomidae) larvae: potential biomarkers. Environ. Toxicol. Chem., 19:495–500. , , and .
- 2010. The carbon dioxide system in seawater: equilibrium chemistry and measurements. Pp. 17–40 in U. Riebesell, V. J. Fabry, L. Hansson and J. -P. Gattuso, eds. Guide to best practices for ocean acidification research and data reporting. Publications Office for the European Union, Luxembourg.
- 2008. Impacts of ocean acidification on marine fauna and ecosystem processes. ICES J. Mar. Sci. 65:414–432. , , , and .
- 2012. Ocean acidification induces multi-generational decline in copepod naupliar production with possible conflict for reproductive resource allocation. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 418–419:30–36. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Combined effects of ocean acidification and solar UV radiation on photosynthesis, growth, pigmentation and calcification of coralline alga Corallina sessilis (Rhodophyta). Glob. Change Biol. 16:2388–2398. and .
- 2010. A single-step staining method to evaluate egg viability in zooplankton. Limnol. Oceanogr. Methods 8:414–423.
- 2010. Assessing differential response of Monoporeia affinis to hypoxia and contaminants using multiple biomarkers of oxidative stress. Aquat. Toxicol. 99:263–274. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013a. Exposure to contaminants exacerbates oxidative stress in amphipod Monoporeia affinis subjected to fluctuating hypoxia. Aquat. Toxicol. 127:46–53. , , , , and .
- 2013b. Trade-offs between predation risk and growth benefits in copepods Eurytemora affinis with contrasting pigmentation. PLoS ONE 8:e71385. , , and .
- 1975. Culture of phytoplankton for feeding marine invertebrates. Pp. 29–60 in W. L. Smith and M. H. Chanley, eds. Culture of Marine Invertebrate Animals. Plenum Press, New York.
- 2010. Ocean climate change, phytoplankton community responses, and harmful algal blooms: a formidable predictive challenge. J. Phycol. 46:220–235.
- HELCOM. 2007. Climate change on the Baltic Sea area. Balt. Sea Environ. Proc., No. 111. Available at: http://helcom.fi/Lists/Publications/BSEP111.pdf (accessed 8 October 2013).
- IPCC, Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change 2007. Climate change 2007: Synthesis report. Fourth assessment report. Available at: http://www.ipcc.ch/publications_and_data/publications_ipcc_fourth_assessment_report_synthesis_report.htm (accessed 4 September 2013).
- 2010. Density-dependent nutritional value of the dinoflagellate Cochlodinium polykrikoides to the copepod Acartia tonsa. Limnol. Oceanogr. 55:1643–1652. , , and .
- 2012. Major cellular and physiological impacts of ocean acidification on a reef building coral. PLoS ONE 7:e34659. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Development of an optimal microalgal diet for the culture of the calanoid copepod Acartia sinjiensis: effect of algal species and feed concentration on copepod development. Aquaculture 249:339–351. , , , and .
- 1999. The effect of temperature, food concentration and female size on the egg production of the planktonic copepod Acartia bifilosa. J. Plankton Res. 21:1779–1789. and .
- 1972. Instructions for Preparation of Modified Nutrient Solution Z8 for Algae. Norwegian Institute for Water Research, Blindern.
- 2010. Meta-analysis reveals negative yet variable effects of ocean acidification on marine organisms. Ecol. Lett. 13:1419–1434. , , , and .
- 2013. Impacts of ocean acidification on marine organisms: quatifying sensitivities and interaction with warming. Glob. Change Biol. 19:1884–1896. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Effects of raised CO2 concentration on the egg production rate and early development of two marine copepods (Acartia steueri and Acartia erythraea). Mar. Pollut. Bull. 49:721–727. , , and .
- 2002. Protective effect of melatonin against nodularin-induced oxidative stress in mouse liver. Arch. Toxicol. 76:158–165. , , and .
- 2006. Oxidative stress in marine environments: biochemistry and physiological ecology. Annu. Rev. Physiol. 68:253–278.
- 1998. The biology of calanoid copepods. Advances in Marine Biology Vol. 33, Academic Press, San Diego.
- 2007. CO2-induced acidification affects hatching success in Calanus finmarchicus. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 350:91–97. , , , , and .
- 2009. Physiological basis for high CO2 tolerance in marine ectothermic animals: pre-adaptation through lifestyle and ontogeny? Biogeosciences 6:2313–2331. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Analysis of cyanobacterial toxins by immunological methods. Chem. Res. Toxicol. 16:103–112. and .
- 2010. Oxidative stress as a life-history constraint: the role of reactive oxygen species in shaping phenotypes from conception to death. Funct. Ecol. 24:984–996. and .
- 2009. Oxidative stress as a mediator of life history trade-offs: mechanisms, measurements and interpretation. Ecol. Lett. 12:75–92. , , and .
- 2011. Molecular and structural antioxidant defenses against oxidative stress in animals. Am. J. Physiol. Regul. Integr. Comp. Physiol. 301:R843–R863. , and .
- 2011. Projecting coral reefs futures under global warming and ocean acidification. Science 333:418–422. , , , and .
- 2005. Antioxidant responses and oxidative stress after microcystin exposure in the hepatopancreas of an estuarine crab species. Ecotoxicol. Environ. Saf. 61:353–360. , , , , , and .
- 1980. Nutritional adequacy, manageability and toxicity as factors that determine the food quality of green and blue-green algae for Daphnia. Pp. 268–281 in W. C. Kerfoot ed. Ecology and evolution in zooplankton communities. Univ. Press of New England, Hanover. , and ,
- 2008. Physiology and climate change. Science 322:690–692. and .
- 2003. Assays for hydrophilic and lipophilic antioxidant capacity (oxygen radical absorbance capacity (ORACFL)) of plasma and other biological and food samples. J. Agric. Food Chem. 51:3273–3279. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Decline in growth of foraminifer Marginopora rossi under eutrophication and ocean acidification scenarios. Glob. Change Biol. 19:291–302. , , , , and .
- 2008. In hot water: zooplankton and climate change. ICES J. Mar. Sci. 65:279–295.
- 1981. Rapid and precise determination of total inorganic carbon and some gases in aqueous-solutions. Water Res. 15:403–406.
- 1997. Nutritional quality of two cyanobacteria: how rich is ‘poor’ food? Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 151:1–10. and .
- 2009. Transcriptomic response of sea urchin larvae Strongylocentrotus purpuratus to CO2-driven seawater acidification. J. Exp. Biol. 212:2579–2594. , and .
- 2011. Environmental proteomics: changes in the proteome of marine organisms in response to environmental stress, pollutants, infection, symbiosis, and development. Ann. Rev. Mar. Sci. 3:373–399.
- 2011. Proteomic response to elevated PCO2 level in eastern oysters, Crassostrea virginica: evidence for oxidative stress. J. Exp. Biol. 214:1836–1844. , , , , and .
- 1958. Zur vervollkommung der quantitativen phytoplankton-methodik. Mitt. Int. Ver. Theor. Angew. Limnol. 9:1–38.
- 2012. Maternal effects may act as an adaptation mechanism for copepods facing pH and temperature changes. PLoS ONE, 7:e48538. , , and .
- 2011. Long-term trends in phytoplankton composition in the western and central Baltic Sea. J. Mar. Syst. 87:145–159. , , , , and .
- 2011. Physiological and ecological responses of crustaceans to ocean acidification. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 430:257–271.