Morphological divergence and flow-induced phenotypic plasticity in a native fish from anthropogenically altered stream habitats
Version of Record online: 25 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 14, pages 4648–4657, November 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(14): 4648–4657
- Issue online: 25 NOV 2013
- Version of Record online: 25 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 9 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 28 AUG 2013
- USM IACUC. Grant Number: #12020902
- 1967. Functional design in fishes. Hutchinson, London.
- 2011. Has the Earth's sixth mass extinction already arrived? Nature 471:51–57. , , , , et al.
- 1977. Environmental effects of dams and impoundments. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 8:255–283.
- 2009. Variable progress toward ecological speciation in parapatry: stickleback across eight lake-stream transitions. Evolution 7:1740–1753. , , and .
- 2002. Morphological variation between lake- and stream-dwelling rock bass and pumpkinseed populations. J. Fish Biol. 61:1619–1638. , and .
- 2000. Phenotypic plasticity and the possible role of genetic assimilation: hypoxia-induced trade-offs in the morphological traits of an African cichlid. Ecol. Lett. 3:387–393. , , and .
- 2001. Mapping phenotypes: canalization, plasticity and developmental stability. Trends Ecol. Evol. 16:555–561. and .
- 2006. The global abundance and size distribution of lakes, ponds, and impoundments. Limnol. Oceanogr. 51:2388–2397. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Freshwater biodiversity: importance, threats, status and conservation challenges. Biol. Rev. 81:163–182. , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. Fragmentation and flow regulation of river systems in the northern third of the world. Science 226:753–761. and .
- 2011. Anthropogenic habitat alteration induces rapid morphological divergence in a native stream fish. Evol. Appl. 4:791–804.
- 2012. Genetic structure of a native cyprinid in a reservoir-altered stream network. Freshw. Biol. 57:155–165.
- 2013. Shared and unique morphological responses of stream fishes to anthropogenic habitat alteration. Proc. R. Soc. B 280:20122715. , , , , and .
- 2010. Hydrological connectivity for riverine fish: measurement challenges and research opportunities. Freshw. Biol. 55:2215–2237. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Adaptive versus non-adaptive phenotypic plasticity and the potential for contemporary adaptation in new environments. Funct. Ecol. 21:394–407. , , , and .
- 2009. Convergence of fish communities from the littoral zone of reservoirs. Freshw. Biol. 54:1163–1177. , , and .
- 1971. Functional morphology and classification of teleostean fishes. University of Hawaii Press, Honolulu.
- 2007. Early developmental plasticity and integrative responses in arctic charr (Salvelinus alpinus): effects of water velocity on body size and shape. J. Exp. Zool. B. Mol. Dev. Evol. 308:396–408. , , , and .
- 2010. Morphological responses of a stream fish to water impoundment. Biol. Lett. 6:803–806. , , and .
- 2006. Parallel evolution of the sexes? Effects of predation and habitat features on the size and shape of wild guppies. J. Evol. Biol. 19:741–754. , , , and .
- 2004. How much of the variation in adaptive divergence can be explained by gene flow? An evaluation using lake-stream Stickleback pairs. Evolution 58:2319–2331. and .
- 2002. Adaptive divergence and the balance between selection and gene flow: lake and stream stickleback in the Misty system. Evolution 56:1199–1216. , , and .
- 2013. Multi-scale effects of impoundments on genetic structure of creek chub (Semotilus atromaculatus) in the Kansas River basin. Freshw. Biol. 58:441–453. , and .
- 2007. The origins of ecotypic variation of rainbow trout: a test of environmental vs. genetically based differences in morphology. J. Evol. Biol. 20:725–736. , , and .
- 2009. Differing evolutionary patterns underlie convergence on elongate morphology in endemic fishes of Lake Waccamaw, North Carolina. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 98:636–645. , , and .
- 2008. Predictability of phenotypic differentiation across flow regimes in fishes. Integr. Comp. Biol. 48:750–768.
- 2009. Trade-off between steady and unsteady swimming underlies predator driven divergence in Gambusia affinis. J. Evol. Biol. 22:1057–1075.
- 2004. Shared and unique features of evolutionary diversification. Am. Nat. 164:335–349. and .
- 2007. Complex phenotype-environment associations revealed in an East African cyprinid. J. Evol. Biol. 20:1171–1181. , , and .
- 2009. Predator-driven phenotypic diversification in Gambusia affinis. Evolution 58:2305–2318. , , , and .
- 2003. Adaptation of rainbow fish to lake and stream habitats. Evolution 57:104–118. , , , and .
- 2001. The biotic crisis and the future of evolution. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 98:5389–5392. and .
- 2005. Fragmentation and flow regulation of the World's large river systems. Science 308:405–408. , , , and .
- 2001. Water velocity shapes juvenile salmonids. Evol. Ecol. 14:721–730. and .
- 2011. Fates beyond traits: ecological consequences of human-induced trait change. Evol. Appl. 5:183–191. , , , , and .
- 2001. Humans as the world's greatest evolutionary force. Science 293:1786–1790.
- 2010. Phenotypic plasticity's impacts on diversification and speciation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 25:459–467. , , , , , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria, 2011. URL http://www.R-project.org. ISBN 3-900051-07-0.
- 2002. Methods of multivariate analyses. John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- 1993. Relative warp analysis and an example of its application to mosquito wings. Pp. 131–159 in L. F. Marcus, E. Bello, A. Garcia-Valdecasas, eds. Contributions to Morphometrics. Musuo Nacionale de Ciencias Naturales, Madrid, Spain.
- 2004a. tpsDig. version 2.1 [computer program]. Department of Ecology and Evolution, State University of New York at Stony Brook. Available at: http://life.bio.sunysb.edu/morph/.
- 2004b. tpsRegr. version 1.36 [computer program], Department of Ecology and Evolution, State University of New York at Stony Brook. Available at: http://life.bio.sunysb.edu/morph/.
- 1999. Physiological performance and stream microhabitat use by two centrarchids (Lepomis megalotis and Lepomis macrochirus). Environ. Biol. Fishes 54:303–312. , , and .
- 1998. Phenotypic evolution: A reaction norm perspective. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, Maryland. and .
- 1949. Factors of Evolution. Blakiston, Philadelphia.
- 2011. Evolution and behavioural responses to human-induced rapid environmental change. Evol. Appl. 4:367–387. , , and .
- 2008. Genetic structure of creek chub, a headwater minnow, in an impounded river system. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 137:962–975. , , , and .
- 2001. Consequences of stream impoundment on fish communities in a small North American drainage. Reg. Riv. Res. Manag. 17:687–698. , , and .
- 1942. Canalization of development and the inheritance of acquired characters. Nature 150:563–565.
- 2003. Developmental plasticity and evolution. Oxford University Press, New York.
- 2008. Major morphological changes in a Lake Victoria cichlid fish within two decades. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 94:41–52. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Geometric morphometrics for biologists. Academic press, San Diego, CA. , , , and .