Genetic monogamy despite variable ecological conditions and social environment in the cooperatively breeding apostlebird
Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 14, pages 4669–4682, November 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(14): 4669–4682
- Issue online: 25 NOV 2013
- Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 17 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 9 AUG 2013
- Macquarie University Research Excellence Scholarship
- ARC QEII Fellowship
- 2009. Fast, cost-effective development of species-specific microsatellite markers by genomic sequencing. Biotechniques 46:185–192. , , , and .
- 2002. Extra-pair paternity and egg dumping in birds: life history, parental care and the risk of retaliation. Proc. Biol. Sci. 269:1263–1269. and .
- 1975. Studies of the Apostle Bird at Inverell. Part II: Breeding behaviour. Sunbird 6:1–7.
- 1997. High frequency of extra-pair paternity in a dense and synchronous population of Willow Warblers Phylloscopus trochilus. J. Avian Biol. 28:319–324. and .
- 2007. Reproductive success and helper effects in the cooperatively breeding grey-crowned babbler. J. Zool. 273:326–332. and .
- 1997. Experimental manipulation of brood reduction and parental care in cooperatively breeding white-winged choughs. J. Anim. Ecol. 66:683–691. , , and .
- 2011. Fluctuating environments, sexual selection and the evolution of flexible mate choice in birds. PLoS ONE 7:e32311. and .
- 2006. How female reed buntings benefit from extra-pair mating behaviour: testing hypotheses through patterns of paternity in sequential broods. Mol. Ecol. 15:2589–2600. , , and .
- 1995. The significance of territory size and quality in the mating strategy of the splendid fairy-wren. J. Anim. Ecol. 64:614–627. and .
- 1989. Parental care and mating behaviour of polyandrous dunnocks Prunella modularis related to paternity by DNA fingerprinting. Nature 338:249–251. , , , and .
- 1998. The social life of the Apostlebird Struthidea cinerea. Emu 98:178–183.
- 2003. Cooperative breeding in oscine passerines: does sociality inhibit speciation? Proc. Biol. Sci. 270:2207–2214.
- 2004. Mating systems and sexual conflict. Pp. 81–101 in D Walter and JLD Koenig ed. Ecology and Evolution of Cooperative Breeding in Birds. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge.
- 2011. Cooperative breeding: a question of climate? Curr. Biol. 21:R195–R197. , and .
- 1998. Paternity and the relatedness of helpers in the cooperatively breeding bell miner. Condor 100:343–349. , , , and .
- 2010. Promiscuity and the evolutionary transition to complex societies. Nature 466:969–974. , , , and .
- 2009. Bi-parental vs. cooperative breeding in a passerine: fitness-maximizing strategies of males in response to risk of extra-pair paternity? Mol. Ecol. 18:3929–3939. and .
- 1994. Can extra-pair copulations be used to predict extra-pair paternity in birds? Anim. Behav. 47:983–985. and .
- 2004. Delayed dispersal. Pp. 35–47 in W. Koenig and J. Dickinson, eds. Ecology and Evolution of Cooperative Breeding in Birds. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, UK. , , , and .
- 1982. The evolution of helping. II. The role of behavioral conflict. American Naturalist 119:40–53.
- 1996. Mate fidelity and divorce in monogamous birds. Pp. 344–395 in J. M. Black, ed. Oxford Ornithology Series; Partnerships in Birds: The Study of Monogamy. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U.K. , , and .
- 2005. Arlequin ver. 3.0: an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evol. Bioinform. Online 1:47–50. and .
- 2009. Influence of winter ranging behaviour on the social organization of a cooperatively breeding bird species, the apostlebird. Ethology 115:888–896. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. High fidelity on islands: a comparative study of extrapair paternity in passerine birds. Behav. Ecol. 11:265–273.
- 2007. The evolution of infidelity in socially monogamous passerines: neglected components of direct and indirect selection. Am. Nat. 169:274–281.
- 1999. Contrasting levels of extra-pair paternity in mainland and island populations of the house sparrow (Passer domesticus): is there an ‘island effect’? Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 68:303–316. , , , , and .
- 2002. Extra pair paternity in birds: a review of interspecific variation and adaptive function. Mol. Ecol. 11:2195–2212. , , and .
- 1996. Sex identification in birds using two CHD genes. Proc. Biol. Sci. 263:1251–1256. , , and .
- 2004. Parental care, load-lightening and costs. Pp. 67–80 in W. D. J. Koenig, ed. Ecology and Evolution of Cooperative Breeding in Birds. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, UK.
- 1988. Foraging, delayed maturation, and advantages of cooperative breeding in white-winged choughs, Corcoraz melanorhamphus. Ethology 77:177–186. , , and .
- 1999. The cost of helping. Trends Ecol. Evol. 14:53–57. and .
- 2000. Coalitions of relatives and reproductive skew in cooperatively breeding white-winged choughs. Proc. Biol. Sci. 267:243–249. , , , and .
- 2006. Handbook of Australian, New Zealand and Antarctic Birds. Vol. 7. Boatbill to Starlings. Oxford Univ. Press, Melbourne. , , and , eds.
- 2011. Geographical variation in patterns of parentage and relatedness in the co-operatively breeding Ground Tit Parus humilis. Ibis 153:373–383. , , , and .
- 2007. Revising how the computer program CERVUS accommodates genotyping error increases success in paternity assignment. Mol. Ecol. 16:1099–1106. , , and .
- 2009. Radical loss of an extreme extra-pair mating system. BMC Ecol. 9:15. , , , and .
- 2004. Ecology and Evolution of Cooperative Breeding in Birds Cambridge University Press. U.K, Cambridge. and .
- 2012. aod: Analysis of Overdispersed Data. R package version 1.3. Available at http://cran.r-project.org/package=aod , and
- 2012. Cooperative breeding and monogamy in mammalian societies. Proc. Biol. Sci. 279:2151–2156. and .
- 2004. Determinants of lifetime fitness in a cooperative breeder, the long-tailed tit Aegithalos caudatus. J. Anim. Ecol. 73:1137–1148. and .
- 2004. Reproductive skew. Pp. 157–176 in W. Koenig and J. Dickinson, eds. Ecology and Evolution of Cooperative Breeding in Birds. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, UK. , , and .
- 2010. QDD: a user-friendly program to select microsatellite markers and design primers from large sequencing projects. Bioinformatics 26:403–404. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. A fresh framework for the ecology of arid Australia. J. Arid Environ. 75:313–329. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Monogamous dominant pairs monopolize reproduction in the cooperatively breeding pied babbler. Behav. Ecol. 22:559–565. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Extrapair paternity in an insular population of house sparrows after the experimental introduction of individuals from the mainland. Behav. Ecol. 20:305–312. , , and .
- 1994. Avian polygyny is most likely in populations with high variability in heritable male fitness. Proc. Biol. Sci. 256:275–280. and .
- R Development Core Team. 2012. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna. Available at http://R-project.org.
- 2001. Parentage assignment and extra-group paternity in a cooperative breeder: the Seychelles warbler (Acrocephalus sechellensis). Mol. Ecol. 10:2263–2273. , , , , and .
- 2010. Isolation and characterization of 12 polymorphic tetranucleotide microsatellite loci in the apostlebird (Struthidea cinerea). Conserv. Genet. Resour. 2:229–231. , , , , and .
- 2008. genepop'007: a complete re-implementation of the genepop software for Windows and Linux. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 8:103–106.
- 1978. Communal activities among white-winged choughs, Corcorax melanorhamphus. Ibis 120:178–197. .
- 1999. Primer3 on the WWW for General Users and for Biologist Programmers. Pp. 365–386 in S. Misener and S. Krawetz, eds. Bioinformatics Methods and Protocols. Humana Press, Clifton, NJ. , and .
- 2007a. Territory quality drives intraspecific patterns of extrapair paternity. Behav. Ecol. 18:1058–1064.
- 2007b. Female extrapair mate choice in a cooperative breeder: trading sex for help and increasing offspring heterozygosity. Proc. Biol. Sci. 274:1895–1903.
- 2004. Mammals: comparisons and contrasts. Pp. 210–227 in W. Koenig and J. Dickinson, eds. Ecology and Evolution of Cooperative Breeding in Birds. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, UK.
- 2007. Reduced egg investment can conceal helper effects in cooperatively breeding birds. Science 317:941–944. , , , , and .
- 1994. Polygyny in birds: the role of competition between females for male parental care. Am. Nat. 143:59–94. and .
- 1995. The effect of breeding synchrony on extra-pair mating systems in songbirds. Behaviour 132:675–690. and .
- 2011. Genetic monogamy across variable demographic landscapes in cooperatively breeding Florida scrub-jays. Behav. Ecol. 22:464–470. , , , , and .
- 2004. Female control of reproductive skew in cooperatively breeding brown jays (Cyanocorax morio). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 55:370–380.
- 2004. Breeding ecology and group dynamics of the apostlebird. Aust. J. Zool. 52:561–581.
- 2004. Predation events at an Apostlebird nest. Corella 28:22–23. and .
- 2005. Helping enhances multiple components of reproductive success in the cooperatively breeding apostlebird. J. Anim. Ecol. 74:1039–1050. and .
- 2008. Mixed mating strategies in cooperatively breeding apostlebirds Struthidea cinerea. J. Avian Biol. 39:50–56. and .
- 2006. Contributions to care vary with age, sex, breeding status and group size in the cooperatively breeding apostlebird. Anim. Behav. 72:63–73. , , and .