Known unknowns in an imperfect world: incorporating uncertainty in recruitment estimates using multi-event capture–recapture models
Article first published online: 25 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 14, pages 4658–4668, November 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(14): 4658–4668
- Issue published online: 25 NOV 2013
- Article first published online: 25 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 17 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 14 JUN 2013
- International Macquarie University Research Excellence Scholarship.
- 2005. Environmental conditions and breeding experience affect costs of reproduction in blue petrels. Ecology 86:682–692. , and .
- 2010. Investigating evolutionary trade-offs in wild populations of atlantic salmon (salmo salar): incorporating detection probabilities and individual heterogeneity. Evolution 64:2629–2642. , , and .
- 2012. Digging through model complexity: using hierarchical models to uncover evolutionary processes in the wild. J. Evol. Biol. 25:2077–2090. , , and .
- 2002. Model selection and multimodel inference: a practical information-theoretic approach. Springer, New York. , and .
- 2000. Apparent inferiority of first-time breeders in the kittiwake: the role of heterogeneity among age classes. J. Anim. Ecol. 69:380–394. , and .
- 1998. Are adult nonbreeders prudent parents? The kittiwake model. Ecology 79:2917–2930. , , , , and .
- 2002. Individual covariation in life-history traits: seeing the trees despite the forest. Am. Nat. 159:96–105. , , , , and .
- 2001. Matrix population models, 2nd edn. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA.
- 2012. A hybrid symbolic-numerical method for determining model structure. Math. Biosci. 236:117–125. , and .
- 2009. Program E-Surge: A Software Application for Fitting Multievents Models. Pp. 845–865. in E. Cooch, M. Conroy, and D. Thomson, eds. Modeling demographic processes in marked populations. Springer, Berlin. , and
- 2010. Individuals and populations: the role of long-term, individual-based studies of animals in ecology and evolutionary biology. Trends Ecol. Evol. 25:562–573. , and .
- 2009. Multistate capture-recapture analysis under imperfect state observation: an application to disease models. J. Appl. Ecol. 46:486–492. , and .
- 2006. Recruitment to a seabird population depends on environmental factors and on population size. J. Anim. Ecol. 75:228–238. , , , , and .
- 2011. Now you see him, now you don't: experience, not age, is related to reproduction in kittiwakes. Proc. Biol. Sci. 278:3060–3066. , , , , and .
- 2004. Extreme polygyny among southern elephant seals on Sea Lion Island, Falkland Islands. Behav. Ecol. 15:961–969. , , , and .
- 2003. Temporal variation in survival of mammals: a case of environmental canalization? Ecology 84:3294–3306. , and .
- 2012. Exploiting uncertain ecological fieldwork data with multi-event capture-recapture modelling: an example with bird sex assignment. J. Anim. Ecol. 81:970–977. , , and .
- 2008. The risk of flawed inference in evolutionary studies when detectability is less than one. Am. Nat. 172:441–448. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Estimating demographic parameters using hidden process dynamic models. Theor. Popul. Biol. 82:307–316. , , , , and .
- 2006. Variation in probability of first reproduction of weddell seals. J. Anim. Ecol. 75:1058–1070. , , , and .
- 2007. Evaluation of reproductive costs for Weddell Seals in Erebus Bay, Antarctica. J. Anim. Ecol. 76:448–458. , , and .
- 1988. seasonal haul-out patterns of the southern elephant seal Mirounga-Leonina L. at Macquarie Island Australia. J. Mammal. 69:81–88. , and .
- 2011. A capture-recapture model with double-marking, live and dead encounters, and heterogeneity of reporting due to auxiliary mark loss. J. Agric. Biol. Environ. Stat. 16:88–104. , , , and .
- 2009. Sampling design considerations for demographic studies: a case of colonial seabirds. Ecol. Appl. 19:55–68. , , , , , , et al.
- 1992. Modeling survival and testing biological hypotheses using marked animals – a unified approach with case-studies. Ecol. Monogr. 62:67–118. , , , and .
- 2009. Modeling Individual Animal Histories with Multistate Capture-Recapture Models. Pp. 87–173. in H. Caswell ed. Advances in ecological research, Vol 41. Elsevier Academic Press Inc, San Diego. , , , , and
- 2010. Improvement of reproductive performance with age and breeding experience depends on recruitment age in a long-lived seabird. Oikos 119:500–507. , and .
- 2010. Long-term datasets in biodiversity research and monitoring: assessing change in ecological communities through time. Trends Ecol. Evol. 25:574–582. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. A demographic comparison of two southern elephant seal populations. J. Anim. Ecol. 72:61–74. , , and .
- 2005. Population status, trends and a re-examination of the hypotheses explaining the recent declines of the southern elephant seal Mirounga Leonina. Mamm. Rev. 35:82–100. , , , , and .
- 2006a. Branding can be justified in vital conservation research. Nature 439:392–392. , , and .
- 2006b. Assessing hot-iron and cryo-branding for permanently marking southern elephant seals. J. Wildl. Manage. 70:1484–1489. , , , , and .
- 2002. Quantitative conservation biology: theory and practice of population viability analysis. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA. , and .
- 2008. Missing inaction: the dangers of ignoring missing data. Trends Ecol. Evol. 23:592–596. , and .
- 2010. Long- and short-term influence of environment on recruitment in a species with highly delayed maturity. Oecologia 162:383–392. , , and .
- 1994. Estimating breeding proportions and testing hypotheses about costs of reproduction with capture-recapture data. Ecology 75:2052–2065. , , , , and .
- 2004. Estimation of sex-specific survival from capture-recapture data when sex is not always known. Ecology 85:3192–3201. , , , and .
- 2008. Flawed population viability analysis can result in misleading population assessment: a case study for wolves in Algonquin Park, Canada. Biol. Conserv. 141:669–680. , and .
- 2005. Multievent: an extension of multistate capture-recapture models to Uncertain States. Biometrics 61:442–447.
- 2009. The stakes of capture-recapture models with state uncertainty. Springer, New York.
- 2005. Principles and interest of Gof tests for multistate capture-recapture models. Anim. Biodivers. Conserv. 28:189–204. , , and .
- 2008. Estimation of sex-specific survival with uncertainty in sex assessment. Can. J. Stat. 36:29–42. , , , , , and .
- 2008. The cost of reproduction and experience-dependent vital rates in a small petrel. Ecology 89:3195–3203. , , , , and .
- 2009. Contrasting age-specific recruitment and survival at different spatial scales: a case study with the European storm petrel. Ecography 32:637–646. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Studying the reproductive skipping behavior in long-lived birds by adding nest inspection to individual-based data. Ecol. Appl. 21:555–564. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002). Analysis and management of animal populations: modeling, estimation, and decision making. Academic Press, San Diego. , , and (