Microsatellite markers reveal multiple origins for Italian weedy rice
Version of Record online: 31 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 14, pages 4786–4798, November 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(14): 4786–4798
- Issue online: 25 NOV 2013
- Version of Record online: 31 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 16 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 31 MAY 2013
- State of Baden-Württemberg (Landesgraduiertenförderung)
- 1807. Del riso. Tipografia Giovanni Silvestri, Milan, Italy.
- 2008. A natural mutation in rc reverts white-rice-pericarp to red and results in a new, dominant, wild-type allele: Rc-g. Theor. Appl. Genet. 117:575–580. , , , and .
- 2006. Competitive N uptake between rice and weedy rice. Field Crops Res. 99:96–105. , , , and .
- 2006. Genetic diversity and origin of weedy rice (Oryza sativa f. spontanea) populations found in North-eastern China revealed by simple sequence repeat (SSR) markers. Ann. Bot. 98:1241–1252. , , , , , and , et al.
- 2002. Red rice control in Southern Europe with pre- and postemergence applied herbicides. Proceedings of the 2nd Temperate Rice Conference, 489–492. , , , , , and , et al.
- 1967. Phylogenetic analysis models and estimation procedures. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 19:233–257. , and .
- 2011. Study of the new and improved size standard in fragment analysis. Applied Biosystems, Foster City, CA. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Adaptability of plants invading North American cropland. Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 104:379–398. , , , , , and , et al.
- 2004. An experimental assessment of seed adhesivity on animal furs. Seed Sci. Res. 14:147–159. , , , and .
- 1978. Introduction. Pp. 5–6 in E. F. Eastin, ed. Red rice research and control. Texas Agricultural Experiment Station Bulletin, Austin, TX.
- 2007. Weedy rices: origin, biology, ecology and control. FAO, Rome, Italy. , , , , , and , et al.
- 2008. Founding events in species invasions: genetic variation, adaptive evolution, and the role of multiple introductions. Mol. Ecol. 17:431–449. , and .
- 2012. STRUCTURE HARVESTER: a website and program for visualizing STRUCTURE output and implementing the Evanno method. Conserv. Genet. Resour. 4:359–361. , and .
- 2011. Assessment of genetic diversity in Italian rice germplasm related to agronomic traits and blast resistance (Magnaporthe oryzae). Mol. Breeding 27:233–246. , , , , , and , et al.
- 2010. History of rice in Europe. Pp. 341–372 in S. D. Sharma, ed. Rice: origin, antiquity and history. Science Publishers Enfield, New Hampshire. , and .
- 2011. Germination of weedy rice in response to field conditions during winter. Weed Technol. 25:252–261. , , and .
- 2012. Morphological characterisation of Italian weedy rice (Oryza sativa) populations. Weed Res. 52:60–69. , , and .
- 2005. Gene movement between rice (Oryza sativa) and weedy rice (Oryza sativa) - a U.S. temperate rice perspective. Pp. 323–354 in J. B. Gressel, ed. Crop ferality and volunteerism. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
- 2002. Identification of red rice, rice, and hybrid populations using microsatellite markers. Weed Sci. 50:333–339. , , and .
- 2009. Exploring genetic and spatial structure of U.S. weedy red rice (Oryza sativa) in relation to rice relatives worldwide. Weed Sci. 57:627–643. , , and .
- 2012. Genetic analysis of atypical US red rice phenotypes: indications of prior gene flow in rice fields? Weed Sci. 60:451–561. , , and .
- 2005. Introduction - the challenges of ferality. Pp. 1–7 in J. B. Gressel, ed. Crop ferality and volunteerism. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
- 2003. Inheritance of seed dormancy in weedy rice. Crop Sci. 43:835–843. , , and .
- 2005. Seed dormancy imposed by covering tissues interrelates to shattering and seed morphological characteristics in weedy rice. Crop Sci. 45:948–955. , , and .
- 1965. Some thoughts about weeds. Econ. Bot. 19:16–24. , and .
- IRRI. 2002. Standard evaluation system for rice. IRRI (International Rice Research Institute), Manila, Philippines.
- 1912. Le erbe che infestano le risaie italiane IV Congresso Risicolo Internazionale, 57–93.
- 2012. Introgression from cultivated rice influences genetic differentiation of weedy rice populations at a local spatial scale. Theor. Appl. Genet. 124:309–322. , , , and .
- 2007. Genetic structure of three Oryza AA genome species (O. rufipogon, O. nivara and O. sativa) as assessed by SSR analysis on the Vientiane Plain of Laos. Conserv. Genet. 8:149–158. , , , , and .
- 2007. Origins and population genetics of weedy red rice in the USA. Mol. Ecol. 16:4523–4535. , and .
- 1999. Red rice (Oryza sativa) biology. I. Characterization of red rice ecotypes. Weed Technol. 13:12–18. , , and .
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and .
- 1995. GENEPOP (version 1.2): population genetics software for exact tests and ecumenicism. J. Hered. 86:248–249. , and .
- 2010. Genomic patterns of nucleotide diversity in divergent populations of U.S. weedy rice. BMC Evol. Biol. 10:180. , , , , , and .
- 2011. The long and the short of it: SD1 polymorphism and the evolution of growth trait divergence in U.S. weedy rice. Mol. Ecol. 20:3743–3756. , , , , and .
- 2010. Genetic diversity of weedy red rice (Oryza sativa) in Arkansas, USA. Weed Res. 50:289–302. , , , , , and , et al.
- 2004. Italian rice varieties: historical data, molecular markers and pedigrees to reveal their genetic relationships. Plant Breeding 123:105–111. , , , , and .
- 2011. MEGA5: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis using maximum likelihood, evolutionary distance, and maximum parsimony methods. Mol. Biol. Evol. 28:2731–2739. , , , , , and .
- 1993. Il riso crodo: un problema sempre più attuale in risicoltura. Inf. Agrar. 49:91–95. , and .
- UPOV. 2004. Protocol for distinctness uniformity and stability test for Oryza sativa L. UPOV (Council of the International Union for the Protection of New Varieties of Plants), Geneva, Switzerland.
- 2005. The damage by weedy rice - Can feral rice remain undetected? Pp. 279–294 in J. Gressel, ed. Crop ferality and volunteerism. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
- 2005. Modelling population dynamics to overcome feral rice in rice. Pp. 353–368 in J. Gressel, ed. Crop ferality and volunteerism. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL. , and .
- 2012. Range expansion of a selfing polyploid plant despite widespread genetic uniformity. Ann. Bot. 110:585–593. , , and .
- 1978. Evolution and the genetics of populations: variability within and among natural populations. The University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL.
- 2011. Conspecific crop-weed introgression influences evolution of weedy rice (Oryza sativa f. spontanea) across a geographical range. PLoS ONE 6:e16189. , , , , and .