Testing for intraspecific postzygotic isolation between cryptic lineages of Pseudacris crucifer
Article first published online: 23 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 14, pages 4621–4630, November 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(14): 4621–4630
- Issue published online: 25 NOV 2013
- Article first published online: 23 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 14 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 18 JUN 2013
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada
- SSE Rosemary
- Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources
- Queen's University – University Animal Care Committee. Grant Number: 2008-059-R3
- University of Guelph Animal Utilization Protocol. Grant Number: 05R054
- 1972. Embryonic temperature tolerance and rate of development in some salamanders of the genus Ambystoma. Herpetologica 28:126–130.
- 1997. Adaptive intrinsic growth rates: an integration across taxa. Q. Rev. Biol. 72:149–177.
- 2009. Influence of spring speed and body size on predator avoidance in New Mexican spadefoot toads (Spea multiplicata). Oecologia 159:455–461.
- 1997. Natural hybridization and evolution. Oxford University Press, Oxford, U.K.
- 1995. Are natural hybrids fit or unfit relative to their parents? Trends Ecol. Evol. 10:67–71. , and .
- 2002. Cryptic lineages of a small frog: the post-glacial history of the spring peeper, Pseudacris crucifer (Anura: Hylidae). Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 25:316–329. , , , , and .
- 2004. Discordant temporal and geographic patterns in maternal lineages of eastern North American frogs, Rana catesbeiana and Pseudacris crucifer. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 32:799–816. , , and .
- 2000. Phylogeography: The History and Formation of Species. Harvard Univ. Press, Cambridge, MA.
- 1997. Phylogenetics and the origin of species. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. 94:7748–7755. , and .
- 2004. Frogs. Voyageur Press, Stillwater, MN. , and .
- 2000. Detecting the geographical pattern of speciation from species-level phylogenies. Am. Nat. 155:419–434. , and .
- 1979. The dynamics of hybrid zones. Heredity 43:341–359.
- 2006. Cryptic species as a window on diversity and conservation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 22:148–155. , , , , , , et al.
- 1955. Mating call and stage of speciation in the Microhyla olivacea–M. carolinensis complex. Evolution 9:469–480.
- 1996. Priority effects in temporary pools: nature and outcome of mosquito larva-toad tadpole interactions depend on order of entrance. J. Anim. Ecol. 65:77–84. , and .
- 1998. Effects of ultraviolet radiation on amphibians: field experiments. Am. Zool. 38:799–812. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Ultraviolet radiation and amphibians. Pp. 63–79 in C. S. Cockell, A. R. Blaustein, eds. Ecosystems, evolution and ultraviolet radiation. Springer, New York. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Tempo of hybrid inviability in centrarchid fishes (Teleostei: Centrarchidae). Evolution 59:1754–1767. , and .
- 2009. Incipient speciation despite little assortative mating: the yellow-rumped warbler hybrid zone. Evolution 63:3050–3060. , and .
- 1967. Embryonic temperature adaptations and genetic compatibility in two allopatric populations of the spadefoot toad, Scaphiopus hammondi. Evolution 21:742–761.
- 1973. The evolutionary history of the corpus luteum. Biol. Reprod. 8:128–157.
- 2001. Genetics and the fitness of hybrids. Annu. Rev. Genet. 35:31–52. , and .
- 1989. Patterns of speciation in Drosophila. Evolution 43:362–381. , and .
- 1997. ‘Patterns of speciation in Drosophila’ revisited. Evolution 51:295–303. , and .
- 2004. Speciation. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA. , and .
- 1937. Genetics and the Origin of Species. Columbia Univ. Press, New York.
- 2012. Effects of leachate from tree leaves and grass litter on tadpoles. Environ. Toxicol. Chem. 31:1511–1517. , , and .
- 2007. Cryptic diversity, deep divergence, and Pleistocene expansion in an upper Amazonian frog, Eleutherodactylus ockendeni. BMC Evol. Biol. 7:247. , , and .
- 2013. Early Miocene origin and cryptic diversification of South American salamanders. BMC Evol. Biol. 13:59. , , , and .
- 1977. Geographic Variation, Speciation, and Clines. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 2007. Genetic diversity, but not hatching success, is jointly affected by post glacial colonization and isolation in the threatened frog, Rana latastei. Mol. Ecol. 16:1787–1797. , , and .
- 2009. Pattern, process and geographic modes of speciation. J. Evol. Biol. 22:2342–2347. , , and .
- 2007. Underestimation of species richness in neotropical frogs revealed by mtDNA analysis. PLoS One 2:e1109. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Microgeographical variation in thermal preference by an amphibian. Ecol. Lett. 7:369–373. , and .
- 2004. Genetic diversity across a vertebrate species' range. A test of the central-peripheral hypothesis. Mol. Ecol. 13:1047–1053. , , and .
- 2003. Reproductive character displacement and the genetics of gamete recognition in tropical sea urchins. Evolution 57:1049–1060. , and .
- 2003. Local adaptation of an anuran amphibian to osmotically stressful environments. Evolution 57:1889–1899. , and .
- 1960. A simplified table for staging anuran embryos and larvae with notes on identification. Herpetologica 16:183–190.
- 1960. Eggs and larval development of the treefrogs Hyla crucifer and Hyla ocularis. Herpetologica 16:225–232. , and .
- 1991. Competition between common frog, Rana temporaria, and natterjack toad, Bufo calamita, tadpoles: the effect of competitor density and interaction level on tadpole development. Oikos 61:187–196.
- 2009. Extreme changes to gene expression associated with homoploid hybrid speciation. Mol. Ecol. 18:877–889. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Hybrid speciation in sparrows I: phenotypic intermediacy, genetic admixture and barriers to gene flow. Mol. Ecol. 20:3812–3822. , , , , , et al.
- 1967. Temperature and development of the wood frog, Rana sylvatica, in Alaska. Ecology 48:579–590. , and .
- 1995. Speciation in eastern North American salamanders of the genus Plethodon. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 26:579–600.
- 1998. Loss of genetic diversity and fitness in common toad (Bufo bufo) populations isolated by inimical habitat. J. Evol. Biol. 11:269–283. , and .
- 2005. Reinforcement drives rapid allopatric speciation. Nature 437:1353–1356. , , , and .
- 2008. Hybrid trait speciation and Heliconius butterflies. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 363:3047–3054. , , , and .
- 2009. Genetic analysis of a chromosomal hybrid zone in the Australian grasshoppers (Vandiemenella, viatica species group). Evolution 63:139–152. , , , , and .
- 2012. Postzygotic isolation evolves before prezygotic isolation between fresh and saltwater population of rainwater killifish, Lucania parva. Int. J. Evol. Biol. 2012:523967. , , , and .
- 2006. Microarray analysis reveals differential gene expression in hybrid sunflower species. Mol. Ecol. 15:1213–1227. , , , , and .
- 2010. Reinforcement in chorus frogs: lifetime fitness estimates including intrinsic natural selection and sexual selection against hybrids. Evolution 64:1748–1761. , and .
- 2008. A new North American chorus frog species (Amphibia: Hylidae: Pseudacris) from the south-central United States. Zootaxa 1675:1–30. , , , and .
- 1971. Breeding habits and embryonic thermal requirements of the frogs, Rana aurora aurora and Rana pretiosa pretiosa, in the Pacific Northwest. Ecology 52:116–124.
- 2011. Genome duplications in amphibians and fish: an extended synthesis. J. Zool. 284:151–182. , , and .
- 1986. Hybrid zones in Heliconius butterflies in Panama, and the stability and movement of warning colour clines. Heredity 56:191–202.
- 2007. Hybrid speciation. Nature 446:279–283.
- 2010. Rapid sympatry explains greater color pattern divergence in high latitude birds. Evolution 64:336–347. , , and .
- 2008. Homoploid hybrid speciation in animals. Mol. Ecol. 17:4181–4185. , and .
- 1975. Gene frequency clines in the presence of selection opposed by gene flow. Am. Nat. 109:659–676. , , and .
- 1942. Systematics and the Origin of Species from the Viewpoint of a Zoologist. Columbia Univ. Press, New York.
- 1963. Animal Species and Evolution. Belknap Press of Harvard Univ., Cambridge, MA.
- 2001. Amphibians and Reptiles of Indiana. Revised 2nd ed. Indiana Academy of Science, Indianapolis, IN. .
- 1939. Temperature tolerance and rates of development in the eggs of Amphibia. Ecology 20:459–478.
- 1949. Geographical variation of adaptive characters in Rana pipiens Schreber. Evolution 3:1–24.
- 1977. An evaluation of narrow hybrid zones in vertebrates. Q. Rev. Biol. 52:263–277.
- 1992. Evolutionary relationships within the Ensatina eschscholtzii complex confirm the ring species interpretation. Syst. Biol. 41:273–291. , , and .
- 1940. Bearing of the Drosophila work on systematics. Pp. 185–268 in J. Huxley, ed. The new systematics. Clarendon Press, Oxford, U.K.
- 2003. Evidence of a hybrid-zone in Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) in the Baltic and the Danish Belt Sea revealed by individual admixture analysis. Mol. Ecol. 12:1497–1508. , , , , and .
- 2012. Ecological Speciation. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U.K.
- 1999. Hybridization in leopard frogs (Rana pipiens complex): larval fitness components in single-genotype populations and mixtures. Evolution 53:1872–1883.
- 2001. Hybridization in leopard frogs (Rana pipiens complex): terrestrial performance of newly metamorphosed hybrid and parental genotypes in field enclosures. Can. J. Zool. 79:1552–1558.
- 2004. Hybrid response to pathogen infection in interspecific crosses between two amphibian species (Anura: Ranidae). Evol. Ecol. Res. 6:457–471.
- 2000. Behavioural asymmetries in a moving hybrid zone. Behav. Ecol. 11:84–92.
- 1967. Comparative reproductive biology of montane and piedmont chorus frogs. Evolution 21:500–507. , and .
- 2002. Differential selection to avoid hybridization in two toad species. Evolution 56:1840–1848. , and .
- 1993. Kin recognition and cannibalism in spadefoot toad tadpoles. Anim. Behav. 46:87–94. , , and .
- 2007. Field and experimental evidence for competition's role in phenotypic divergence. Evolution 61:257–271. , , and .
- 2004. When vicars meet: a narrow contact zone between morphologically cryptic phylogeographic lineages of the rainforest skink, Carlia rubrigularis. Evolution 58:1536–1548. , , and .
- 1975. Slow evolutionary loss of the potential for interspecific hybridization in birds: a manifestation of slow regulatory evolution. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 72:200–204. , and .
- 2002. Patterns of postzygotic isolation in Lepidoptera. Evolution 56:1168–1183.
- 1955. A study of altitudinal races in Rana pipiens. Evolution 9:322–338.
- 2002. A test of ecologically dependent postmating isolation between sympatric sticklebacks. Evolution 56:322–329.
- 1998. Patterns of postzygotic isolation in frogs. Evolution 52:1811–1820. , , and .
- 2003. Frequency dependent natural selection during character displacement in sticklebacks. Evolution 57:1142–1150.
- 2003. Nuclear markers reveal unexpected genetic variation and a Congolese-Nilotic origin of the Lake Victoria cichlid species flock. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 270:129–137. , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. Asymmetric competition in mixed populations of tadpoles of the hybridogenetic Rana esculenta complex. Evolution 47:510–519.
- 1997. Competition among tadpoles of coexisting hemiclones of hybridogenetic Rana esculenta: support for the frozen niche variation model. Evolution 51:1249–1261. , , and .
- 2001. Beyond reinforcement: the evolution of premating isolation by direct selection on preferences and postmating, prezygotic incompatibilities. Evolution 55:1909–1920.
- 2011. Effect of priming injections of luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone on spermiation and ovulation in Günther's toadlet, Pseudophryne guentheri. Reprod. Biol. Endocrinol. 8:68.
- 2012. Strong selection against hybrids maintains a narrow contact zone between morphologically cryptic lineages in a rainforest lizard. Evolution 66:1474–1489. , and .
- 2002. Forest canopy cover and the performance of larval amphibians. Ecology 83:983–992. , , and .
- 1973. Gene flow and selection in a cline. Genetics 75:733–756.
- 2010. The accumulation of reproductive incompatibilities in African cichlid fish. Evolution 64:617–633. , , and .
- 2013. Contact zone dynamics and the evolution of reproductive isolation in a North American treefrog, the spring peeper (Pseudacris crucifer). Ph.D. dissertation, Queen's University, Kingston, ON.
- 2001. Asymmetrical crossing barriers in angiosperms. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 268:861–867. , , and .
- 2013. Relative performance of hybrid nestlings in Ficedula flycatchers: a translocation experiment. Ecol. Evol. 3:356–364. , , , and .
- 2001. Hybridization and adaptive mate choice in flycatchers. Nature 411:45–50. , , , , , , et al.
- 1953. Embryonic temperature adaptations and relationships in toads. Physiol. Zool. 26:344–354.
- 1955. Intensity of reproductive isolation between sympatric and allopatric populations of Bufo americanus and Bufo fowleri. Am. Nat. 89:303–317.
- 2005. Do faster starts increase the probability of evading predators? Funct. Ecol. 19:808–815. , , , , and .
- 2012. Sperm morphology and hybridization between two genetically divergent lineages of the spring peeper, Pseudacris crucifer. B.Sc. Thesis, Queen's University, Kingston, ON.
- 2002. Habitat divergence between a homoploid hybrid sunflower species, Helianthus paradoxus (Asteraceae), and its progenitors. Am. J. Bot. 89:472–478. , and .
- 2009. The frequency of polyploid speciation in vascular plants. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 106:13875–13879. , , , , , and .
- 1995. Handbook of Frogs and Toads of the United States and Canada. Comstock Publishing Co. Inc., Cornell Univ., Ithaca, NY. , and .
- 2003. Historical isolation, range expansion, and secondary contact of two highly divergent mitochondrial lineages in spotted salamanders (Ambystoma maculatum). Evolution 57:1631–1652. , and .
- 1968. Reproductive biology of anurans of the arid southwest, with emphasis on adaptation of embryos to temperature. Bull. Am. Mus. Nat. Hist. 140:1–64.