Synergistic effects of the invasive Chinese tallow (Triadica sebifera) and climate change on aquatic amphibian survival
Article first published online: 5 NOV 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 14, pages 4828–4840, November 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(14): 4828–4840
- Issue published online: 25 NOV 2013
- Article first published online: 5 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 24 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 11 SEP 2013
- US Forest Service
- 1989. Assessment of the impact of simulated acid rain and alkaline effluent discharge on pond biota with respect to larvae of amphibian Rana tigrina. Int. J. Environ. Stud. 35:97–103. , , and .
- 1996. Using randomization techniques to analyze behavioural data. Anim. Behav. 51:733–738. and .
- 2012. Leaf litter of the invasive Chinese tallow (Triadica sebifera) negatively affects hatching success of an aquatic breeding anuran, the southern leopard frog (Lithobates sphenocephalus). Can. J. Zool. 90:991–998. and .
- 2004. Responses of spring phenology to climate change. New Phytol. 162:295–309. , , , , , , et al.
- 1977. Effect of wind and rain on surface reaeration. J. Environ. Eng. Div. 103:489–504. and .
- 1995. Amphibian breeding and climate. Nature 374:219–220.
- 1995. Controlling the false discovery rate: a practical and powerful approach to multiple testing. J. R. Stat. Soc. Series B Stat. Methodol. 57:289–300. , and .
- 2001. Amphibian breeding and climate change. Conserv. Biol. 15:1804–1809. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Direct and indirect effects of climate change on amphibian populations. Diversity 2:281–313. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Climate change and unequal phenological changes across four trophic levels: constraints or adaptations? J. Anim. Ecol. 78:73–83. , , , , and .
- 1983. Winterkill, oxygen relations, and energy metabolism of a submerged dormant amphibian, Rana mucosa. Ecology 64:1171–1183.
- 2004. Effects of invasive alien plants on fire regimes. Bioscience 54:677–688. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Invasive plant and experimental venue affect tadpole performance. Biol. Invasions 8:327–338. , , , and .
- 1997. Introduction, impact on native habitats, and management of a woody invader, the Chinese tallow tree, Sapium sebiferum (L.) Roxb. Nat. Areas J. 17:255–260. , , , and .
- 1997. Chorusing phenology and habitat associations of the crawfish frog, Rana areolata (Anura: Ranidae), in Kansas. Southwest. Nat. 42:210–217. and .
- 1989. Rapid leaf decay and nutrient release in Chinese tallow forest. Oecologia 80:222–228. and .
- 2007. Leachates of Eucalyptus globulus in intermittent streams affect water parameters and invertebrates. Int. Rev. Hydrobiol. 92:173–182. and .
- 2003. Climate change and amphibian declines: is there a link? Divers. Distrib. 9:111–121. and .
- 2006. Effects of salinity on the survival, growth and development of tadpoles of the brown tree frog, Litoria ewingii. Aust. J. Zool. 54:97–105. , , , and .
- 1974. Geographic variation for salt water tolerance in the frog Rana sphenocephala. Copeia 1974:773–778.
- 1998. Effects of climate and atmospheric CO2 partial pressure on the global distribution of C4 grasses: present, past, and future. Oecologia 114:441–454. , , and .
- 1998. A field guide to the reptiles and amphibians: eastern and central North America. Houghton Mifflin Company, Boston, MA. and .
- 2002. Tree community structure and changes from 1987 to 1999 in three Louisiana and three South Carolina forested wetlands. Wetlands 22:58–70. , , and .
- 2005. Climate change and amphibians. Anim. Biodiv. Conserv. 28:59–67.
- 2012. Effects of an invasive plant, Chinese tallow (Triadica sebifera), on development and survival of anuran larvae. J. Herpetol. 46:186–193. , , , and .
- 2000. Direct and indirect effects of the introduced toad Bufo marinus (Anura: Bufonidae) on populations of native anuran larvae in Australia. Ecography 23:283–290.
- 1985a. Acidity and associated water chemistry of amphibian habitats in Nova Scotia. Can. J. Zool. 63:97–105. , , and .
- 1985b. Experimental studies of the effects of acidity and associated water chemistry on amphibians. Proc. NS Inst. Sci. 35:35–54. , , and .
- 1998. Potential effects of climate change on two neotropical amphibian assemblages. Climatic Change 39:541–561. and .
- 2003. Bullfrogs, disturbance regimes, and the persistence of California red-legged frogs. J. Wildl. Manage. 67:424–438. , , and .
- 1996. Effect of introduced crayfish and mosquitofish on California newts. Conserv. Biol. 10:1155–1162. , and .
- 2009. Invasion of tallow tree into southern US forests: influencing factors and implications for mitigation. Can. J. For. Res. 39:1346–1356. , , , and .
- 2001. Climate warming and calling phenology of frogs near Ithaca, New York, 1900–1999. Conserv. Biol. 15:1175–1178. and .
- 2001. The role of introduced trout in the decline of the spotted tree frog (Litoria spenceri) in south-eastern Australia. Biol. Conserv. 100:187–198.
- 1960. A simplified table for staging anuran embryos and larvae with notes on identification. Herpetologica 16:183–190.
- 1955. The effects of temperature and moisture on the reproductive cycle of Scaphiopus h. holbrooki. Am. Midl. Nat. 54:192–203. and .
- 1986. Decline of ranid frog species in western North America: are bullfrogs (Rana catesbeiana) responsible? J. Herpetol. 20:490–509. and .
- 1997. The effect of rain on air-water gas exchange. Tellus B 49:149–158. , , , and .
- IPCC 2007. Climate Change 2007: Synthesis Report. Contribution of Working Groups I, II and III to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. (eds Core Writing Team, Pachauri RK, Reisinger A). IPCC, Geneva. 104 pp. Available at: http://www.ipcc.ch/publications_and_data/publications_ipcc_fourth_assessment_report_synthesis_report.htm (accessed 5 April 2013).
- 2003. The influence of predator threat on the timing of a life-history switch point: predator-induced hatching in the southern leopard frog (Rana sphenocephala). Can. J. Zool. 81:1608–1613. , , , and .
- 1996. The invasive potential of Chinese tallow-tree (Sapium sebiferum Roxb.) in the Southeast. Castanea 61:226–231. and .
- 2000. Non-native fish introductions and the decline of the mountain yellow-legged frog from within protected areas. Conserv. Biol. 14:428–438. and .
- 1999. Effects of introduced mosquitofish and bullfrogs on the threatened California red-legged frog. Conserv. Biol. 13:613–622. , , , and .
- 2008. The effects of the invasive exotic Chinese tallow tree (Triadica sebifera) on amphibians and aquatic invertebrates. Ph.D. diss. Univ. of New Orleans, New Orleans, LA, 87 pp.
- 2002. Microevolution and maternal effects on tadpole Rana temporaria growth and development rate. J. Zool. 257:93–99.
- 2005a. Green frogs show reduced foraging success in habitats invaded by Japanese knotweed. Biodivers. Conserv. 14:2901–2911. , , and .
- 2005b. Can secondary compounds of an invasive plant affect larval amphibians? Funct. Ecol. 19:970–975. , , , and .
- 2009. Declines in woodland salamander abundance associated with non-native earthworm and plant invasions. Conserv. Biol. 23:975–981. , , and .
- 2010. Does detritus quality predict the effect of native and non-native plants on the performance of larval amphibians? Freshw. Biol. 55:1694–1704. , , and .
- 2006. Altered geographic and temporal variability in phenology in response to climate change. Glob. Ecol. Biogeogr. 15:498–504. , , , and .
- 1998. The interaction of temperature, dissolved oxygen and predation pressure in an aquatic predator-prey system. Oikos 81:329–336. and .
- 1996. Predation by the non-native fish Gambusia holbrooki on small Litoria aurea and L.dentata tadpoles. Aust. Zool. 30:143–149. and .
- 1973. Effects of introduced bullfrogs, Rana catesbeiana, on the native frogs of the San Joaquin Valley, California. Copeia 1973:18–22.
- 1981. The roles of temperature and dissolved oxygen in microhabitat selection by the tadpoles of a frog (Rana pipiens) and a toad (Bufo terrestris). Copeia 1981:645–652. and .
- 2002. Environmental factors influencing calling in sympatric anurans. Oecologia 133:616–625. and .
- 2010. Chinese tallow (Triadica sebifera (L.) Small) population expansion in Louisiana, east Texas, and Mississippi. Research Note SRS-20. USDA Forest Service, Asheville, NC. 5 pp.
- 2006. Ecology and evolutionary response to recent climate change. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 37:637–669.
- 2007. Influences of species, latitudes and methodologies on estimates of phenological response to global warming. Glob. Change Biol. 13:1860–1872.
- 2003. A globally coherent fingerprint of climate change impacts across natural systems. Nature 421:37–42. and .
- 2008. Potential distribution of the invasive tree Triadica sebifera (Euphorbiaceae) in the United States: evaluating CLIMEX predictions with field trials. Glob. Change Biol. 14:813–826. and .
- 2009. Environmental constraints on the invasion of Triadica sebifera in the eastern United States: an experimental field assessment. Oecologia 158:591–602. and .
- 2002. Changed plant and animal life cycles from 1952 to 2000 in the Mediterranean region. Glob. Change Biol. 8:531–544. , , and .
- 2000. Factors influencing predation on eggs and tadpoles of the endangered green and golden bell frog Litoria aurea by the introduced plague minnow Gambusia holbrooki. Aust. Zool. 31:496–505. and .
- 1998. The effect of winter temperatures on the timing of breeding activity in the common toad Bufo bufo. Oecologia 117:469–475.
- 2007. Linking global warming to amphibian declines through its effects on female body condition and survivorship. Oecologia 151:125–131.
- 2013. Disentangling climate change effects on species interactions: effects of temperature, phenological shifts, and body size. Oecologia 173:1043–1052. doi:10.1007/s00442-013-2675-y. and .
- 2001. Effects of hydroperiod on metamorphosis in Rana sphenocephala. Am. Midl. Nat. 145:46–53. and .
- 2003. Accelerated hatching of the southern leopard frog (Rana sphenocephala) eggs in response to the presence of a crayfish (Procambarus nigrocinctus) predator. Copeia 2003:646–649. , , , and .
- 2006. Abiotic correlates of anuran calling phenology: the importance of rain, temperature, and season. Herpetol. Monograph. 20:64–82. , , , and .
- 1995. Respiration of amphibian eggs. Physiol. Zool. 68:1–25. and .
- 2005. Effects of nonindigenous tadpoles on native tadpoles in Florida: evidence of competition. Biol. Conserv. 123:433–441.
- 2007. Associations between anuran tadpoles and salinity in a landscape mosaic of wetlands impacted by secondary salinisation. Freshw. Biol. 52:75–84. , , , , , , et al.
- 1989. Acute and sub-acute toxicity of bark tannins in carp (Cyrinus carpio L.). Water Res. 23:341–344. , , , and .
- 1988. Deoxygenating effect and toxicity of ground-up dried coniferous needles and deciduous leaves of Canadian trees in water: a preliminary study in comparison with litter of European trees. Water Res. 22:21–28.
- 2005. Shifts in phenology due to global climate change: the need for the yardstick. Proc. R. Soc. B 272:2561–2569. and .
- 2002. Ecological responses to recent climate change. Nature 416:389–395. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Predicted range expansion of Chinese tallow tree (Triadica sebifera) in forestlands of the southern United States. Divers. Distrib. 17:552–565. , , , , , , et al.
- 1975. Behavioral responses of amphibian larvae to variation in dissolved oxygen. Copeia 1975:86–103. and .
- 2011. Extracts of the invasive shrub Lonicera maackii increase mortality and alter behavior of amphibian larvae. Oecologia 165:153–159. , , , , and .
- 1986. Vascular plant breakdown in freshwater ecosystems. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 17:567–594. and .
- 2010. Phenology, ontogeny and the effects of climate change on the timing of species interactions. Ecol. Lett. 13:1–10. and .