Dynamic occupancy models for analyzing species' range dynamics across large geographic scales
Article first published online: 7 NOV 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 15, pages 4896–4909, December 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(15): 4896–4909
- Issue published online: 10 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 7 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 18 SEP 2013
- Applied Centre for Climate and Earth Systems Analysis
- National Research Foundation of South Africa. Grant Number: 85802
- 2008. Climate and the range dynamics of species with imperfect detection. Biol. Lett. 4:581–584. , , and .
- 2013. Density-dependent dispersal and the speed of range expansions. Divers. Distrib. 19:60–68. , , , and .
- 2008. Opening the climate envelope reveals no macroscale associations with climate in European birds. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 105:14908–14912. , , and .
- 1991. Bayesian image restoration, with two applications in spatial statistics. Ann. Inst. Stat. Math. 43:1–20. , , and .
- 2011. Hierarchical modeling of an invasive spread: the Eurasian Collared-Dove Streptopelia decaocto in the United States. Ecol. Appl. 21:290–302. , , and .
- 1995. Macroecology. Univ. of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- 1977. Turnover rates in insular biogeography: effect of immigration on extinction. Ecology 58:445–449. , and .
- 2001. Dispersal. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U.K. , , , and .
- 2005. Bayesian analysis for penalized spline regression using WinBUGS. J. Stat. Softw. 14:1–24. , , and .
- 2007. Methods to account for spatial autocorrelation in the analysis of species distributional data: a review. Ecography 30:609–628. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Soil moisture limits foraging: a possible mechanism for the range dynamics of the hadeda ibis in southern Africa. Divers. Distrib. 16:765–772. , , and .
- 2009. Species distribution models: ecological explanation and prediction across space and time. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 40:677–697. , and .
- 2003. The structure and dynamics of geographic ranges. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1999. A critique for macroecology. Oikos 84:353–368. , and .
- 2007. Citizens, science and bird conservation. J. Ornithol. 148:S77–S124.
- 2013. Big data and the future of ecology. Front. Ecol. Environ., 11, 156–162. , , , , , , , and .
- 1998. Metapopulation dynamics. Nature 396:41–49.
- 2007. Southern African Bird Atlas Project 2: instruction manual. Available at http://sabap2.adu.org.za/docs/sabap2_instructions_v5.pdf (accessed 10 April 2013). , , , and .
- 1997. The Atlas of Southern African Birds. BirdLife South Africa, Johannesburg. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. The seminal legacy of the Southern African Bird Atlas Project. S. Afr. J. Sci. 102:82–84. , , and .
- 2011. Integrating biodiversity distribution knowledge: toward a global map of life. Trends Ecol. Evol. 27:151–159. , , and .
- 2013. Spatial occupancy models for large data sets. Ecology 94:801–808. , , , , and .
- 2007. The macroecological contribution to global change solutions. Science 316:1581–1584. , , and .
- 2011. Towards the modelling of true species distributions. J. Biogeogr. 38:617–618.
- 2010. Predicting species distributions from checklist data using site-occupancy models. J. Biogeogr. 37:1851–1862. , , and .
- 2006. Building statistical models to analyze species distributions. Ecol. Appl. 16:33–50. , , , and .
- 2012. Dealing with detection error in site occupancy surveys: what can we do with a single survey? J. Plant Ecol. 5:22–31. , , and .
- 2000. WinBUGS – A Bayesian modelling framework: Concepts, structure, and extensibility. Statist. Comput. 10:325–337. , , , and .
- 1986. Range expansion of the hadeda ibis Bostrychia hagedash in southern Africa. South African J. Zool. 21:331–342. , , and .
- 2002. Estimating site occupancy rates when detection probabilities are less than one. Ecology 83:2248–2255. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Estimating site occupancy, colonization, and local extinction when a species is detected imperfectly. Ecology 84:2200–2207. , , , , and .
- 2006. Occupancy estimation and modeling: inferring patterns and dynamics of species occurrence. Academic Press, Amsterdam. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Migration rate limitations on climate change-induced range shifts in Cape Proteaceae. Divers. Distrib. 12:555–562. , , , and .
- 2006. The vegetation of South Africa, Lesotho and Swaziland. South African National Biodiversity Institute, Cape Town. , and .
- 2000. Demography and dispersal: calculation and sensitivity analysis of invasion speed for structured populations. Ecology 81:1613–1628. , and .
- 2006. Ecological and evolutionary responses to recent climate change. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 37:637–669.
- 2010. Conservation biogeography – foundations, concepts and challenges. Divers. Distrib. 16:313–320. , and .
- 2003. Fingerprints of global warming on wild animals and plants. Nature 421:57–60. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Occupancy estimation and the closure assumption. J. Appl. Ecol. 46:1173–1181. , , , and .
- 2007. A Bayesian state-space formulation of dynamic occupancy models. Ecology 88:1813–1823. , and .
- 2003. Estimating abundance from repeated presence-absence data or point counts. Ecology 84:777–790. , and .
- 1984. Ecological communities: conceptual issues and the evidence. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, NJ. , , , and .
- 2002. Analysis and management of animal populations. Academic Press, San Diego. , , and .
- 2012. Neighborhood and habitat effects on vital rates: expansion of the Barred Owl in the Oregon Coast Ranges. Ecology 93:1953–1966. , , , , , and .