Range dynamics, rather than convergent selection, explain the mosaic distribution of red-winged blackbird phenotypes
Article first published online: 7 NOV 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 15, pages 4910–4924, December 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(15): 4910–4924
- Issue published online: 10 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 7 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 26 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 31 AUG 2013
- 2006. Evolution through genetic exchange. Oxford Univ. Press, New York, NJ.
- 1988. Phylogeographic population structure of red-winged blackbirds assessed by mitochondrial DNA. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 85:1558–1562. , , , , and .
- 2011. Permanent genetic resources added to molecular ecology resources database 1 June 2011–31 July 2011. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 11:1124–1126. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Contrasting evolutionary dynamics and information content of the avian mitochondrial control region and ND2 gene. PLoS ONE 7(10):e46403. , , , and .
- 2000. Detecting the geographical pattern of speciation from species-level phylogenies. Am. Nat. 155:419–434. and .
- 1985. Analysis of hybrid zones. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 16:113–148. , and .
- 1998. Can sympatric speciation via host or habitat shift be proven from phylogenetic and biogeographic evidence? Pp. 99–113 in D. J. Howard and S. H. Berlocher, eds. Endless forms: species and speciation. Oxford Univ. Press, New York, NY.
- 2002. Sympatric speciation in phytophagous insects: moving beyond controversy? Annu. Rev. Entomol. 47:773–815. and .
- 2009. Variable progress toward ecological speciation in parapatry: stickleback across eight lake-stream transitions. Evolution 63:1740–1753. , , and .
- 2003. A test of the endogenous and exogenous selection hypotheses for the maintenance of a narrow avian hybrid zone. Evolution 57:630–637. , , and .
- 2007. Empirical study of hybrid zone movement. Heredity 99:301–312.
- 2011. Spatio-temporal changes in the genetic structure of the Passerina bunting hybrid zone. Mol. Ecol. 20:1166–1175. , and .
- 2010. Adaptive evolution of pelvic reduction in sticklebacks by recurrent deletion of a Pitx1 enhancer. Science 327:302–305. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Genetic structure in a dynamic baboon hybrid zone corroborates behavioural observations in a hybrid population. Mol. Ecol. 21:715–731. , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. Modes of speciation in birds: a test of Lynch's method. Evolution 48:490–497. , and .
- 2005. Widespread parallel evolution in sticklebacks by repeated fixation of ectodysplasin alleles. Science 307:1928–1933. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Speciation. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA. , and .
- 2011. Replicated hybrid zones of Xiphophorus swordtails along an elevational gradient. Mol. Ecol. 20:342–356. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Historic genetic structuring and paraphyly within the Great-tailed Grackle. Condor 110:170–177. , , and .
- 2002. Inferences from a rapidly moving hybrid zone. Evolution 56:741–753. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Bayesian phylogenetics with BEAUti and the BEAST 1.7. Mol. Biol. Evol. 29:1969–1973. , , , and .
- 2012. STRUCTURE HARVESTER: a website and program for visualizing STRUCTURE output and implementing the Evanno method. Conserv. Genet. Resour. 4:359–361. , and .
- 1977. Geographic variation, speciation, and clines. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 2010. Arlequin suite ver 3.5: a new series of programs to perform population genetics analyses under Linux and Windows. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 10:564–567. , and .
- 2003. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data: Linked loci and correlated allele frequencies. Genetics 164:1567–1587. , , and .
- 2006. The geography of mammalian speciation: Mixed signals from phylogenies and range maps. Evolution 60:601–615. , and .
- 1991. Allozyme variation among breeding populations of red-winged blackbirds: the California conundrum. Auk 108:602–611. , , and .
- 2008. Inferring the history of speciation in house mice from autosomal, X-linked, Y-linked and mitochondrial genes. Mol. Ecol. 17:5349–5363. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Nuclear genomic sequences reveal that polar bears are an old and distinct bear lineage. Science 336:344–347. , , , , , , et al.
- 1992. The dynamics of two hybrid zones in appalachian salamanders of the genus plethodon. Evolution 46:930–938. , , , and .
- 1965. Relationships between two forms of the red-winged blackbird in Mexico. Living Bird 4:107–129. , and .
- 1993. Hybrid zones and the evolutionary process. Oxford Univ. Press, New York, NJ.
- 1985. Dating the human-ape splitting by a molecular clock of mitochondrial DNA. J. Mol. Evol. 22:160–174. , , and .
- 2006. The evolution of California's wild radish has resulted in the extinction of its progenitors. Evolution 60:1187–1197. , , , and .
- 2010. Bayesian inference of species trees from multilocus data. Mol. Biol. Evol. 27:570–580. , and .
- 2004. How much of the variation in adaptive divergence can be explained by gene flow? - an evaluation using lake-stream stickleback pairs. Evolution 58:2319–2331. , and .
- 2010. Isolation with migration models for more than two populations. Mol. Biol. Evol. 27:905–920.
- 2003. Different genes underlie adaptive melanism in different populations of rock pocket mice. Mol. Ecol. 12:1185–1194. , and .
- 2004. Ecological genetics of adaptive color polymorphism in pocket mice: geographic variation in selected and neutral genes. Evolution 58:1329–1341. , , and .
- 2009. Inferring weak population structure with the assistance of sample group information. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 9:1322–1332. , , , and .
- 1992. Estimation of levels of gene flow from DNA sequence data. Genetics 132:583–589. , , and .
- 1997. A simple method for automated allele binning in microsatellite markers. Genome Res. 7:1104–1109. , and .
- 2007. CLUMPP: a cluster matching and permutation program for dealing with label switching and multimodality in analysis of population structure. Bioinformatics 23:1801–1806. , and .
- 2008. adegenet: a R package for the multivariate analysis of genetic markers. Bioinformatics 24:1403–1405.
- 2010. Discriminant analysis of principal components: a new method for the analysis of genetically structured populations. BMC Genet. 11:94. , , and .
- 2008. G(ST) and its relatives do not measure differentiation. Mol. Ecol. 17:4015–4026.
- 2012. Parallel and nonparallel aspects of ecological, phenotypic, and genetic divergence across replicate population pairs of lake and stream stickleback. Evolution 66:402–418. , , , and .
- 2006. Importance of facial pattern to sexual selection in golden-winged Warbler (Vermivora chrysoptera). Auk 123:962–966. , and .
- 2007. Genetic analysis of autosomal and X-linked markers across a mouse hybrid zone. Evolution 61:746–771. , , , , , , et al.
- 1910. The status of the California bi-colored blackbird. Condor 12:63–70.
- 2005. Hybridization as an invasion of the genome. Trends Ecol. Evol. 20:229–237.
- 2007. Hybrid speciation. Nature 446:279–283.
- 2010. Rapid sympatry explains greater color pattern divergence in high latitude birds. Evolution 64:336–347. , , and .
- 2009. A hybrid zone revisited: molecular and morphological analysis of the maintenance, movement, and evolution of a Great Plains avian (Cardinalidae: Pheucticus) hybrid zone. Mol. Ecol. 18:3256–3267. , and .
- 1997. Estimation of the amount of DNA polymorphism when the neutral mutation rate varies among sites. Genetics 147:1959–1964. , and .
- 2008. Hybrid zone origins, species boundaries, and the evolution of wing-pattern diversity in a polytypic species complex of North American admiral butterflies (Nymphalidae: Limenitis). Evolution 62:1400–1417. , , and .
- 2003. The genetic basis of adaptive melanism in pocket mice. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 100:5268–5273. , , and .
- 2011. Repeated unidirectional introgression of nuclear and mitochondrial DNA between four congeneric tanganyikan cichlids. Mol. Biol. Evol. 28:2253–2267. , , , , and .
- 2001. Distinguishing migration from isolation: A Markov chain Monte Carlo approach. Genetics 158:885–896. , and .
- 2009. Variable patterns of introgression in two sculpin hybrid zones suggest that genomic isolation differs among populations. Mol. Ecol. 18:2615–2627. , , and .
- 2004. AWTY (are we there yet?): a system for graphical exploration of MCMC convergence in Bayesian phylogenetics. Bioinformatics 24:581–583. , , , and .
- 1963. Competition and blackbird social systems. Evolution 17:449–459. , and .
- 1993. Unidirectional spread of secondary sexual plumage traits across an avian hybrid zone. Science 260:1643–1646. , , and .
- 1972. Experimental study of territorial function of vocal and visual display in the male red-winged blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus). Anim. Behav. 20:112–118.
- 2011. Ecological niches and geographic distributions. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, NJ. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2012. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 2004. Tracer. Published by the authors, University of Oxford, UK. Available at http://evolve.zoo.ox.ac.uk/software.html. , and .
- 1996. Extinction by hybridization and introgression. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 27:83–109. , and .
- 2005. Cytonuclear genomic dissociation in African elephant species. Nat. Genet. 37:96–100. , , and .
- 2001. Plumage and mitochondrial DNA haplotype variation across a moving hybrid zone. Evolution 55:405–422. , , and .
- 2004. DISTRUCT: a program for the graphical display of population structure. Mol. Ecol. Notes 4:137–138.
- 2007. Statistical tests for taxonomic distinctiveness from observations of monophyly. Evolution 61:317–323.
- 1987. An experimental-study of the function of the red epaulettes and the black-body color of male red-winged blackbirds. Anim. Behav. 35:1070–1077. , and .
- 1926. The California forms of Agelaius phoeniceus (Linnaeus). Condor 28:215–230.
- 2003. DnaSP, DNA polymorphism analyses by the coalescent and other methods. Bioinformatics 19:2496–2497. , , , and .
- 1992. Ecological character displacement and speciation in sticklebacks. Am. Nat. 140:85–108. , and .
- 2004. STR analysis of artificially degraded DNA – results of a collaborative European exercise. Forensic Sci. Int. 139:123–134. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. An economic method for the fluorescent labeling of PCR fragments. Nat. Biotechnol. 18:233–234.
- 1990. Use of the song repertoire in intersexual and intrasexual contexts by male red-winged blackbirds. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 27:123–128. , and .
- 2003. The role of reinforcement in speciation: Theory and data. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 34:339–364. , and .
- 1995. A measure of population subdivision based on microsatellite allele frequencies. Genetics 139:457–462.
- 1972. The role of epaulets in the red-winged blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) social system. Behaviour 41:251–268.
- 1973. Numerical taxonomy. W.H. Freeman, San Francisco, CA. , and .
- 2009. The genetic basis of phenotypic convergence in beach mice: similar pigment patterns but different genes. Mol. Biol. Evol. 26:35–45. , , , , and .
- 1931. Check-list of North American birds. American Ornithologists' Union, Lancaster, PA. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. PAUP*. Phylogenetic analysis using parsimony (*and Other methods). Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA.
- 1999. Evolutionary history of an adaptive radiation in species pairs of threespine sticklebacks (Gasterosteus): insights from mitochondrial DNA. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 66:271–291. , and .
- 2000. Historical contingency and ecological determinism interact to prime speciation in sticklebacks, Gasterosteus. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B. Biol. Sci. 267:2375–2384. , and .
- 1997. Parallel evolution of lake-stream pairs of threespine sticklebacks (Gasterosteus) inferred from mitochondrial DNA variation. Evolution 51:1955–1965. , , and .
- 2011. Measures of linkage disequilibrium among neighbouring SNPs indicate asymmetries across the house mouse hybrid zone. Mol. Ecol. 20:2985–3000. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Limits to speciation inferred from times to secondary sympatry and ages of hybridizing species along a latitudinal gradient. Am. Nat. 177:462–469. , and .
- 2005. Phylogeographic analysis of mitochondrial gene flow and introgression in the salamander, Plethodon shermani. Mol. Ecol. 14:1457–1472. , , and .
- 2006. No evidence of current sexual selection on sexually dimorphic traits in a bird with high variance in mating success. Am. Nat. 167:E171–E189.
- 2004. Microsatellite variation in red-winged blackbirds (Agelaius phoeniceus). Biochem. Genet. 42:35–41. , , , and .
- 1994. Maximum likelihood phylogenetic estimation from DNA sequences with variable rates over sites: approximate methods. J. Mol. Evol. 39:306–314.
- 1980. Song repertoires and sexual selection in the red-winged blackbird. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 7:233–238. , , and .
- 2009. Intersexual and intrasexual consequences of epaulet colour in male red-winged blackbirds: an experimental approach. Anim. Behav. 77:531–540. , , and .
- 2010. Male Red-winged Blackbirds with experimentally dulled epaulets experience no disadvantage in sexual selection. J. Field Ornithol. 81:31–41. , , , and .