Relationship between photosynthetic phosphorus-use efficiency and foliar phosphorus fractions in tropical tree species
Article first published online: 6 NOV 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 15, pages 4872–4880, December 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(15): 4872–4880
- Issue published online: 10 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 6 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 20 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 26 JUN 2013
- Japanese MESSC. Grant Numbers: 18255003, 22255002
- JSPS. Grant Number: 08J03021
- 2000. The mineral nutrition of wild plants revisited: a re-evaluation of processes and patterns. Adv. Ecol. Res. 30:1–67. , and .
- 2004. The C: N: P stoichiometry of autotrophs – theory and observations. Ecol. Lett. 7:185–191.
- 2011. Relationships among net primary productivity, nutrients and climate in tropical rain forest: a pan-tropical analysis. Ecol. Lett. 14:939–947. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Total, and chemical fractions, of nitrogen and phosphorus in Eucalyptus seedling leaves: effects of species, nursery fertilizer management and transplanting. Plant Soil 259:85–95. , and .
- 2007. Banksia species (Proteaceae) from severely phosphorus-impoverished soils exhibit extreme efficiency in the use and re-mobilization of phosphorus. Plant Cell Environ. 30:1557–1565. , , , and .
- 2002. Galactolipids rule in seed plants. Trends Plant Sci. 7:112–118. , and .
- 2007. Global analysis of nitrogen and phosphorus limitation of primary producers in freshwater, marine and terrestrial ecosystems. Ecol. Lett. 10:1135–1142. , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. Diurnal regulation of photosynthetic carbon metabolism in C3 plants. Annu. Rev. Plant Physiol. Plant Mol. Biol. 45:235–256. , and .
- 1999. The influence of leaf thickness on the CO2 transfer conductance and leaf stable carbon isotope ratio for some evergreen tree species in Japanese warm-temperate forests. Funct. Ecol. 13:632–639. , , and .
- 2011. Nutrient co-limitation of primary producer communities. Ecol. Lett. 14:852–862. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Divergent patterns of photosynthetic phosphorus-use efficiency versus nitrogen-use efficiency of tree leaves along nutrient-availability gradients. J. Ecol. 97:984–991. , and .
- 2011. Allocation of foliar phosphorus fractions and leaf traits of tropical tree species in response to decreased soil phosphorus availability on Mount Kinabalu, Borneo. J. Ecol. 99:849–857. , and .
- 1991. Stomatal and mesophyll limitations of photosynthesis in phosphate deficient sunflower, maize and wheat plants. J. Exp. Bot. 42:1003–1011. , and .
- 1983. Extraction and analysis of nitrogen, phosphorus and carbon fractions in plant material. J. Plant Nutr. 6:989–1011.
- 1990. Photosynthetic responses to phosphorus nutrition in Eucalyptus grandis seedlings. Aust. J. Plant Physiol. 17:527–535. , and .
- 1992. An altitudinal transect study of the vegetation on Mount Kinabalu, Borneo. Vegetatio 102:149–171.
- 2002. Ecosystem structure and productivity of tropical rain forests along altitudinal gradients with contrasting soil phosphorus pools on Mount Kinabalu, Borneo. J. Ecol. 90:37–51. , and .
- 2000. Soil phosphorus fractionation and phosphorus-use efficiency of tropical rainforests on Mt. Kinabalu, Borneo. Oecologia 123:342–349. , , and .
- 2010. Plant mineral nutrition in ancient landscapes: high plant species diversity on infertile soils is linked to functional diversity for nutritional strategies. Plant Soil 334:11–31. , , , and .
- 2011. Phosphorus nutrition of Proteaceae in severely phosphorus impoverished soils: are there lessons to be learned for future crops? Plant Physiol. 156:1058–1066. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Proteaceae from severely phosphorus-impoverished soils extensively replace phospholipids with galactolipids and sulfolipids during leaf development to achieve a high photosynthetic phosphorus-use-efficiency. New Phytol. 196:1098–1108. , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. Mineral Nutrition of Higher Plants, 2nd ed. Academic Press, London, UK.
- 1988. Phosphorus concentrations and chemical fractions in Eucalyptus seedlings grown for a prolonged period under nutrient-deficient conditions. New Phytol. 110:479–486.
- 2005. Nitrogen/phosphorus leaf stoichiometry and the scaling of plant growth. Ecol. Lett. 8:636–642. , , , and .
- 1994. Diffusion of CO2 and other gases inside leaves. New Phytol. 126:449–479.
- 2001. Low sink demand limits photosynthesis under Pi deficiency. J. Exp. Bot. 52:1083–1091. , , and .
- 1990. Carbon and nitrogen economy of 24 species differing in relative growth rates. Plant Physiol. 94:621–627. , , and .
- 1989. Leaf phosphate status, photosynthesis, and carbon partitioning in sugar beet. I. Changes in growth, gas exchange, and Calvin cycle enzymes. Plant Physiol. 90:814–819. , and .
- 2010. Relationships among RNA: DNA ratio, growth and elemental stoichiometry in mangrove trees. Funct. Ecol. 24:1064–1072. , , , and .
- 1972. Photosynthetic rates in relation to nitrogen recycling as an adaptation to nutrient deficiency in peat bog plants. Can. J. Bot. 50:2227–2233.
- 2002. Ecological Stoichiometry: The Biology of Elements from Molecules to the Biosphere. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ. , and .
- 2002. Effects of topography on tropical lower montane forests under different geological conditions on Mount Kinabalu, Borneo. Plant Ecol. 159:35–49. , , and .
- 2008. Membrane phospholipids as a phosphate reserve: the dynamic nature of phospholipid-to-digalactosyl diacylglycerol exchange in higher plants. Plant Cell Environ. 31:1388–1398. , , , and .
- 2012. Opportunities for improving phosphorus-use efficiency in crop plants. New Phytol. 195:306–320. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Comparison of leaf construction costs in woody species with differing leaf life-spans in contrasting ecosystems. New Phytol. 151:213–226. , and .
- 2006. Differences in construction costs and chemical compositions between deciduous and evergreen woody species are small as compared to differences among families. Plant Cell Environ. 29:1629–1643. , , , and .
- 2010. Terrestrial phosphorus limitation: mechanisms, implications, and nitrogen–phosphorus interactions. Ecol. Appl. 20:5–15. , , , and .
- 1996. Are shade tolerance, survival, and growth linked? Low light and nitrogen effects on hardwood seedlings. Ecology 77:841–853. , and .
- 2001. Strategy shifts in leaf physiology, structure and nutrient content between species of high- and low-rainfall and high- and low-nutrient habitats. Funct. Ecol. 15:423–434. , , and .
- 2004. The world-wide leaf economics spectrum. Nature 428:821–827. , , , , , , et al.