Evaluating the “recovery level” of endangered species without prior information before alien invasion
Article first published online: 29 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 14, pages 4711–4721, November 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(14): 4711–4721
- Issue published online: 25 NOV 2013
- Article first published online: 29 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 17 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 29 MAY 2013
- Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan
- JSPS. Grant Number: KAKENHI 18-10840 & 20-10113
- 1999. Food habits of feral mongoose (Herpestes sp.) on Amami-Oshima, Japan. Pp. 372–383 in G. Rodda, Y. Sawai, D. Chiszar, H. Tanaka, eds. Problem snake management: the habu and the brown tree snake. Cornel Univ. Press, New York, NY. , , , and .
- 2010. Impact of the small Indian mongoose on native amphibians and reptiles of the Adriatic islands. Croatia. Anim. Conserv. 13:549–555. , , and .
- 2011. A review of small Indian mongoose management and eradications on islands. Pp. 17–25 in C. R. Veitch, M. N. Clout and D. R. Towns, eds. Island invasives: eradication and management. IUCN, Gland, Switzerland. , , , and .
- 1994. Wildlife ecology and management. Blackwell Publishing Ltd, Oxford, U.K. and .
- 2006. The eradication of mammals from New Zealand islands. Pp. 127–141 in F. Koike, M. N. Clout, M. Kawamichi, M. De Poorter and K. Iwatsuki, eds. Assessment and control of biological invasion risks. Shokadoh Book Sellers, Kyoto, Japan and IUCN, Gland, Switzerland. and .
- 1983. On the evidence needed to judge ecological stability or persistence. Am. Nat. 121:789–824. and .
- 1999. Cats protecting birds: modelling the mesopredator release effect. J. Anim. Ecol. 68:282–292. , , and .
- 2003. Mammal invaders on islands: impact, control and control impact. Biol. Rev. 78:347–383. , , and .
- 2011. Eradication of alien invasive species: surprise effects and conservation successes. Pp. 285–289 in C. R. Veitch, M. N. Clout and D. R. Towns, eds. Island invasives: eradication and management. IUCN, Gland, Switzerland. , , , , , and .
- Environmental Agency, Kagoshima Prefecture, and Japan Wildlife Research Center. 2000. Report on the model project of control of the introduced mongoose on Amami-Oshima Island. Tokyo, Japan (in Japanese).
- ESRI. 2008. ArcGIS version 9.3. Environmental Systems Research Institute, Redlands, CA.
- 2013. Reconstruction and prediction of invasive mongoose population dynamics from history of introduction and management: a Bayesian state-space modelling approach. J. Appl. Ecol. 50:469–478. , , , and .
- Differential population responses of native and alien rodents to an invasive predator, habitat alteration, and plant masting. Proc. R. Soc. B. , , , , and . in press.
- 2007. Invasive rodent eradication on islands. Conserv. Biol. 21:1258–1268. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Conservational research of Otton frog (Rana (Babina) subaspera), the endemic frog in Amami Islands. Annu. Rep. Pro Natura Fund 15:51–59 (in Japanese). , , , , and .
- 2010. Prognosis for ecosystem recovery following rodent eradication and seabird restoration in an island archipelago. Ecol. Appl. 20:1204–1216.
- Kagoshima Prefecture. 2010. Forest record book. (in Japanese).
- Kyushu Regional Forest Office, and J. Forestry Agency. 2010. Forest investigation record. (in Japanese).
- 2011. A framework for sustainable invasive species management: environmental, social, and economic objectives. J. Environ. Manag. 92:14–22. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Nonindigenous species: ecological explanation, environmental ethics, and public policy. Conserv. Biol. 17:31–37. and .
- 2004. Impact of exotic fish removal on native communities in farm ponds. Ecol. Res. 19:263–267. and .
- Ministry of the Environment Japan. 2005. Annual report on eradication of introduced Javan mongoose on Amami-Oshima Island (in Japanese).
- Ministry of the Environment Japan. 2012. Annual report on eradication of introduced Javan mongoose on Amami-Oshima Island (in Japanese).
- 2009. Direct and indirect effects of rats: does rat eradication restore ecosystem functioning of New Zealand seabird islands? Biol. Invasions 11:1671–1688. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Study of habitat range through the life history of endangered Rana (Odorrana) ishikawae in Amami-Oshima Island. Annu. Rep. Pro Natura Fund 20:59–80 (in Japanese). , , , , , and .
- 2004. Assessment and management of invasive alien predators. Ecol. Soc. 9:12.
- the R Development Core Team. 2011. nlme: Linear and Nonlinear Mixed Effects Models. R package version 3.1–100. , , , , and
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. Austria, Vienna.
- 2007. Spatial heterogeneity of mesopredator release within an oceanic island system. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 104:20862–20865. , , , , and .
- 2000. Global biodiversity scenarios for the year 2100. Science 287:1770–1774. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Recovery of endemic dragonflies after removal of invasive alien trees. Conserv. Biol. 24:267–277. and .
- 2006. How many animals do we want to save? The many ways of setting population target levels for conservation. Bioscience 56:911–922.
- 1999. A historical outlook on studies of Habu (Trimeresurus flavoviridis) bites in the Amami and Okinawa Islands of Japan. Pp. 107–115 in G. H. Rodda, Y. Sawai, D. Chiszar and H. Tanaka, eds. Problem snake management: the habu and the brown tree snake. Cornel Univ. Press, New York, NY. , , and .
- 2007. On the stability of populations of mammals, birds, fish and insects. Ecol. Lett. 10:970–976. , , , and .
- 1990. Reconstructing the ambiguous: can island ecosystems be restored? Pp. 37–51 in D. R. Towns, C. H. Daugherty, I. A. E. Atkinson, eds. Ecological restoration of New Zealand islands. Conservation Sciences Publication 2, Wellington, New Zealand.
- 2003. How much information on population biology is needed to manage introduced species? Conserv. Biol. 17:83–92.
- 2009. We can eliminate invasions or live with them. Successful management projects. Biol. Invasions 11:149–157.
- 1989. Population regulation in animals. Pp. 197–241 in J. M. Cherrett and A. D. Bradshaw, eds. Ecological concepts: the contribution of ecology to an understanding of the natural world. Blackwell Science Inc, Oxford, U.K.
- 2011. glmmADMB: Generalized Linear Mixed Models Using AD Model Builder. R package version 0.6.5/r143. , , , , and .
- 2000. Distribution and abundance of the Amami rabbit Pentalagus furnessi in the Amami and Tokuno Islands, Japan. Oryx 34:198–206. , , , , , and .
- 1987. An epidemiological study of the occurrence of habu snake bite on the Amami Islands, Japan. Int. J. Epidemiol. 16:451–461.
- 2002. Korapuki Island as a case study for restoration of insular ecosystems in New Zealand. J. Biogeogr. 29:593–607.
- 2011. Eradications of vertebrate pests from islands around New Zealand: what have we delivered and what have we learned? Pp. 364–371 in C. R. Veitch, M. N. Clout and D. R. Towns, eds. Island invasives: eradication and management. IUCN, Gland, Switzerland.
- 2003. A photographic guide: amphibians and reptiles in Japan. Heibonsha, Tokyo, Japan (in Japanese). , , , and .
- 2008. Effects of exotic mongoose (Herpestes javanicus) on the native fauna of Amami-Oshima Island, southern Japan, estimated by distribution patterns along the historical gradient of mongoose invasion. Biol. Invasions 10:7–17. , , and .
- 2000. Terrain analysis: principles and applications. John Wiley & Sons Inc., New York, NY. and .
- 2011. Fast stable restricted maximum likelihood and marginal likelihood estimation of semiparameteric generalized linear models. J. R. Statist. Soc. B 73:3–36.
- 2005. Pentalagus furnessi. Mamm. Species 782:1–5. and .
- 2004. Negative impact of an invasive small indian mongoose Herpestes javanicus on native wildlife species and evaluation of a control project in Amami-Ohshima and Okinawa islands, Japan. Glob. Environ. Res. 8:117–124. and .
- 2000. Present status and conservation of the endangered Amami rabbit Pentalagus furnessi. Tropics 10:87–92. , , , and .
- 2002. Molecular phylogeny of Japanese Leporidae, the Amami rabbit Pentalagus furnessi, the Japanese hare Lepus brachyurus, and the mountain hare Lepus timidus, inferred from mitochondrial DNA sequences. Genes Genet. Syst. 77:107–116. , , and .
- 2001. Viewing invasive species removal in a whole-ecosystem context. Trends Ecol. Evol. 16:454–459. , , and .