These two authors contributed equally to this study
The evolution of birdsong on islands
Article first published online: 22 NOV 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 16, pages 5127–5140, December 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(16): 5127–5140
- Issue published online: 22 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 22 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 1 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Received: 5 JUN 2013
- Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia. Grant Number: SFRH/BPD/46873/2008
- Chercheurs d'avenir
- 1994. The island syndrome in rodent populations. Q. Rev. Biol. 69:473–490. , and .
- 2007. Extrapair paternity and the opportunity for sexual selection in long-distant migratory passerines. Behav. Ecol. 18:477–486. , , , , , and .
- 1994. Sexual selection. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton.
- 1978. Latitudinal gradients in colours and patterns of passerine birds. The Condor 80:372–381.
- 2006. Differing effects of isolation on evolution of bird songs: examples from an island-mainland comparison of three species. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 89:331–342. , , and .
- 2004. Vocal performance influences female response to male bird song: an experimental test. Behav. Ecol. 15:163–168. , , and .
- 2011. lme4: linear mixed-effects models using S4 classes. R package version 0.999375-42. , , and .
- 2012. Canyon wrens alter their songs in response to territorial challenges. Anim. Behav. 84:1463–1467. , , and .
- BirdLife International. 2012. BirdLife's online world bird database, Cambridge, UK. Available at: http://www.birdlife.org/.
- 2000. Evolution and ecology of birds on islands: trends and prospects. Vie Milieu 50:205–220.
- 1988. Bird species impoverishment, niche expansion and density inflation in Mediterranean island habitats. Ecology 69:1899–1917. , , and .
- 2007. Habitat structure and the evolution of bird song: a meta-analysis of the evidence for the acoustic adaptation hypothesis. Funct. Ecol. 21:134–142. and .
- 2009. Climatic patterns predict the elaboration of song displays in mockingbirds. Curr. Biol. 19:1151–1155. , , , and .
- 1997. A theory of mate choice based on heterozygosity. Behav. Ecol. 8:60–65.
- 2009. Female mate choice and songbird song repertoires. Anim. Behav. 77:13–22. and .
- 2010. Loudness of birdsong is related to the body size, syntax and phonology of passerine species. J. Evol. Biol. 23:212–219.
- 2013. Using frequency ratios to study vocal communication. Anim. Behav. 85:1529–1532.
- 2011. Birdsong performance and the evolution of simple (rather than elaborate) sexual signals. Am. Nat. 178:679–686. and .
- 2009. Loudness of syllables is related to syntax and phonology in the songs of canaries and seedeaters. Behaviour 146:1649–1663. and .
- 2010. Community convergence in bird song. Evol. Ecol. 24:447–461. , and .
- 2012. Birdsong, sexual selection, and the flawed taxonomy of canaries, goldfinches and allies. Anim. Behav. 84:111–119. , , and .
- 1995. Bird song: biological themes and variations. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge. , and .
- 2012. Evolution of reproductive life histories in island birds worldwide. Proc. Biol. Sci. 279:1531–1537.
- 2004-2011. Handbooks of the birds of the world, Volumes 9-16. Lynx Edicions, Barcelona. , , and .
- 2000. Effect of blue tit song syntax on great tit territorial responsiveness – an experimental test of the character shift hypothesis. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 48:119–124. , , , and .
- 2002. Directional female preference for an exaggerated male trait in canary (Serinus canaria) song. Proc. Biol. Sci. 269:2525–2531. , , and .
- 2009. Swamp sparrows modulate vocal performance in an aggressive context. Biol. Lett. 5:163–165. , , and .
- 2001. Mating systems, sperm competition, and the evolution of sexual dimorphism in birds. Evolution 55:161–175. , , and .
- 2008. CRC Handbook of avian body masses. CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, Boca Raton, USA.
- 2009. De novo establishment of wild-type song culture in the zebra finch. Nature 459:564–568. , , , , and .
- 2008. Comparative methods with sampling error and within-species variation: contrasts revisited and revised. Am. Nat. 171:713–725.
- 2000. The evolution of sexual dimorphism in relation to mating patterns, cavity nesting, insularity and sympatry in the Anseriformes. Funct. Ecol. 14:701–710. , and .
- 1994. Colourful migratory birds: evidence for a mechanism other than parasite resistance for the maintenance of ‘good genes’ sexual selection. Proc. Biol. Sci. 257:155–160.
- 1998. Intraspecific variation in wing length and male plumage coloration with migratory behaviour in continental and island populations. J. Avian Biol. 29:248–256.
- 2008. Report convergent evolution of hawaiian and australo-pacific honeyeaters from distant songbird ancestors. Curr. Biol. 18:1927–1931. , and .
- 1997. Do island populations have less genetic variation than mainland populations? Heredity 78:311–327.
- 1997. Song correlates with social context, testosterone and body condition in male barn swallows. Anim. Behav. 53:687–700. , , , and .
- 2004. Extrapair paternity and the evolution of bird song. Behav. Ecol. 15:508–519. , and .
- 2005. Freedom and rules: the acquisition and reprogramming of a bird's learned song. Science 308:1046–1049. , , and .
- 2002. The honesty of bird song: multiple constraints for multiple traits. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17:133–141. , and .
- 2000. High fidelity on islands: a comparative study of extrapair paternity in passerine birds. Behav. Ecol. 11:265–273.
- 2000. Song variation in an avian ring species. Evolution 54:998–1010.
- 2009. The deterrent effect of bird song in territory defense. Behav. Ecol. 20:200–206. , , , and .
- 1985. Geographic variation in songs of the Bewick's wren: a search for correlations with avifauna complexity. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 16:143–150.
- 2003. Are good ornaments bad armaments? Male chaffinch perception of songs with varying flourish length. Anim. Behav. 66:161–167. , and .
- 2006. Within-song complexity in a songbird is meaningful to both male and female receivers. Anim. Behav. 71:1289–1296. , , and .
- 1987. Unrepeatable repeatabilities: a common mistake. Auk 104:121. , and .
- 1986. Sexual selection, mating systems, and the evolution of avian acoustical displays. Am. Nat. 128:773–794. , and .
- 2005. Body size evolution in insular vertebrates: generality of the island rule. J. Biogeogr. 32:1683–1699.
- 2009. Adaptation and diversification on islands. Nature 457:830–836. , and .
- 2009. The influence of the acoustic community on songs of birds in a neotropical rain forest. Behav. Ecol. 20:864–871.
- 1967. The theory of island biogeography. Princeton Univ. Press, New Jersey. , and .
- 1972. Density compensation in island fauna. Ecology 53:330–342. , , and .
- 2003. Is male care compromised by additional mating opportunity? Trends Ecol. Evol. 18:424–430. , and .
- 1994. Resource use and the survival of land and freshwater vertebrates on oceanic islands. Am. Nat. 144:643–660.
- 2006. Flightless rails endemic to islands have lower energy expenditures and clutch sizes than flighted rails on islands and continents. Comp. Biochem. Physiol., Part A Mol. Integr. Physiol. 145:295–311. , and .
- 1982. Character and variance shift in acoustic signals of birds. Pp. 253–295 in D. E. Kroodsma and E. H. Miller, eds. Acoustic communication in birds Vol. 1. Academic Press, New York.
- 1976. Song divergence in hummingbird and junco populations on Guadalupe island. The Condor 78:230–235.
- 1992. A pairwise comparative method as illustrated by copulation frequency in birds. Am. Nat. 139:644–656. , and .
- 1975. Ecological sources of selection on avian sounds. Am. Nat. 109:17–34.
- 1977. Motivation-structural rules in some bird and mammal sounds. Am. Nat. 111:855–869.
- 2001. Vireo song repertoires and migratory distance: three sexual selection hypotheses fail to explain the correlation. Behav. Ecol. 12:98–102. , and .
- 2009. Stepwise model fitting and statistical inference: turning noise into signal pollution. Am. Nat. 173:119–123. , and .
- 2003. Reverberation of rapid and slow trills: implications for signal adaptations to long-range communication. J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 113:1749–1756.
- 1994. Character release in bird song: a test of the acoustic competition hypothesis using american tree sparrows Spizella arborea. J. Avian Biol. 25:142–148. , and .
- 2011. The comparative approach in evolutionary anthropology and biology. Chicago Univ. Press, Chicago, IL.
- 2012. The effects of translocation-induced isolation and fragmentation on the cultural evolution of bird song. Ecol. Lett. 15:778–785. , , , and .
- 1998. The degree of extra-pair paternity increases with genetic variability. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. 95:9390–9395. , , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2011. nlme: linear and nonlinear mixed effects models. R package version 3.1-101. , , , and , and
- 2001. Correlated evolution of morphology and vocal signal structure in Darwin's finches. Nature 409:185–188.
- 2004. Bird song:the interface of evolution and mechanism. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 35:55–87. , , and .
- 2008. Speciation in brids. Roberts and Co, Greenwood Village, CO.
- 2007. Reduced major axis regression and the island rule. J. Biogeogr. 34:1998–1999. , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. ISBN 3-900051-07-0, URL http://www.R-project.org/.
- 1998. Singing and mating success in water pipits: one specific song element makes all the difference. Anim. Behav. 55:1471–1481. , , and .
- 1985. The role of body size, phylogeny, and ambient noise in the evolution of bird song. Am. Nat. 126:87–100. , and .
- 1990. Mating systems, parasites and plumage dimorphism in waterfowl. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 26:261–273. , and .
- 2005. Ecological adaptation and species recognition drives vocal evolution in neotropical suboscine birds. Evolution 59:200–215.
- 2002. Habitat-dependent song divergence in the little greenbul: an analysis of environmental selection pressures on acoustic signals. Evolution 56:1849–1858. , and .
- 1959. The songs of the grasshopper sparrow. Wilson Bull. 71:141–152.
- 2011. Rethinking birdsong evolution: meta-analysis of the relationship between song complexity and reproductive success. Behav. Ecol. 22:363–371. , and .
- 2004. Extrapair paternity, migration, and breeding synchrony in birds. Behav. Ecol. 15:41–57. , and .
- 1985. The territorial defense hypothesis and the ecology of insular vertebrates. Q. Rev. Biol. 60:155–181. , and .
- 2010. Extra-pair paternity in eastern bluebirds: effects of manipulated density and natural patterns of breeding synchrony. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 64:463–473. , , and .
- 1994. Variable asymmetry and resonance in the avian vocal tract: a structural basis for individually distinct vocalizations. J. Comp. Physiol. A. 175:457–466.
- 1999. The neuromuscular control of birdsong. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 354:927–939. , , and .
- 1973. On the origin of divergence of learned signals (songs) in isolated populations. Ibis 115:511–516.
- 2001. Extrapair paternity is influenced by breeding synchrony and density in the common yellowthroat. Behav. Ecol. 12:633–639. , , , and .
- 2005. Song types and their structural features are associated with specific contexts in the banded wren. Anim. Behav. 70:921–935. , and .
- UNEP. 2010. Island directory – Basic environmental and geographic information on the significant islands of the World. From the United Nations Environment Programme. Available at: http://islands.unep.ch/isldir.htm.
- 1995. Female canaries are sexually responsive to special song phrases. Anim. Behav. 49:1603–1610. , and .
- 1998. Two-note syllables in canary songs elicit high levels of sexual display. Anim. Behav. 55:291–297. , , and .
- 1980. Correlation of song frequency and body weight in passerine birds. Experientia 36:412.
- 2007. The latitudinal gradient in recent speciation and extinction rates of birds and mammals. Science 315:1574–1576. , and .
- 2012. The role of ecological constraint in driving the evolution of avian song frequency across a latitudinal gradient. Evolution 66:2773–2783. , , and .
- 2007. Island Biogeography ecology, evolution, and conservation. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford UK. , and .
- 1991. Associations of song properties with habitats for territorial oscine birds of eastern North America. Am. Nat. 138:973–993.
- 1982. Adaptations for acoustic communication in birds: sound transmission and signal detection. Pp. Pp. 131–181 in D. E. Kroodsma and E. H. Miller, eds. Acoustic communication in birds Vol. 1. Academic Press, New York & London. , and .
- 2009. Mixed effects models and extensions in ecology with R. Springer, New York. , , , , and .