Ecological speciation in postglacial European whitefish: rapid adaptive radiations into the littoral, pelagic, and profundal lake habitats
Article first published online: 11 NOV 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 15, pages 4970–4986, December 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(15): 4970–4986
- Issue published online: 10 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 11 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 3 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Received: 19 JUL 2013
- Norwegian Research Council. Grant Number: 186320/V40
- Academy of Finland. Grant Number: 250444
- 1997. Universal and rapid salt-extraction of high quality genomic DNA for PCR-based techniques. Nucleic Acids Res. 25:4692–4693. and .
- 1988. Habitat and food segregation of two sympatric populations of whitefish (Coregonus lavaretus L. s.l) in Stuorajavri, northern Norway. Nord. J. Freshw. Res. 64:67–73.
- 2004. Gill raker morphology and feeding ecology of two sympatric morphs of European whitefish (Coregonus lavaretus). Ann. Zool. Fenn. 41:291–300. , , and .
- 2004. Ecological theory of adaptive radiation. An empirical assessment from coregonine fishes (Salmoniformes). Pp. 175–207 in A. P. Hendry, S. C. Stearns, eds. Evolution illuminated, salmon and their relatives. Oxford Univ. Press, New York, NY.
- 1999. Integrating molecular genetics and ecology in studies of adaptive radiation: whitefish, Coregonus sp., as a case study. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 68:173–194. , , and .
- 2010. On the origin of species: insights from the ecological genomics of lake whitefish. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 365:1783–1800. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Turnover and fractionation of carbon and nitrogen stable isotopes in tissues of a migratory coastal predator, summer flounder (Paralichthys dentatus). Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 67:445–461. and .
- 2004. Speciation. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA. and .
- 1977. Mechanism of carbon isotope fractionation associated with lipid-synthesis. Science 197:261–263. and .
- 2012. STRUCTURE HARVESTER: a website and program for visualizing STRUCTURE output and implementing the Evanno method. Conserv. Genet. Resour. 4:359–361. and .
- 2005. Detecting the number of clusters of individuals using the software STRUCTURE: a simulation study. Mol. Ecol. 14:2611–2620. , , and .
- 2006. Ecological divergence exhibits consistently positive associations with reproductive isolation across disparate taxa. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 103:3209–3213. , , and .
- 1998) Evolutionary biology. 3rd ed. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA. (
- 1999. PCA-GEN for windows. Available via: http://www2.unil.ch/popgen/softwares/pcagen.htm (accessed 2 May 2006).
- 2010. Phenotype-environment correlations in a putative whitefish adaptive radiation. J. Anim. Ecol. 79:1057–1068. , , and .
- 1995. Contributions of benthic algae to lake food webs as revealed by stable isotope analysis. J. North Am. Benthol. Soc. 14:631–653. and .
- 2009. Ecological speciation! Or the lack thereof? Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 66:1383–1398.
- 2009. Inferring weak population structure with the assistance of sample group information. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 9:1322–1332. , , , and .
- 2007. Review: the geography of speciation and adaptive radiation in coregonines. Adv. Limnol. 60:111–146. , , , and .
- 2006. Morphological differentiation and resource polymorphism in three sympatric whitefish Coregonus lavaretus (L.) forms in a subarctic lake. J. Fish Biol. 68:63–79. and .
- 2003. Consequence of habitat segregation to growth rate of two sparsely rakered whitefish (Coregonus lavaretus (L.)) forms in a subarctic lake. Ecol. Freshw. Fish 12:275–285. , , and .
- 2004. Diel and seasonal habitat and food segregation of three sympatric Coregonus lavaretus forms in a subarctic lake. J. Fish Biol. 64:418–434. , , , and .
- 2005. Planktivory and diet-overlap of densely rakered whitefish (Coregonus lavaretus (L.)) in a subarctic lake. Ecol. Freshw. Fish 14:50–58. , , and .
- 2011. The role of gill raker number variability in adaptive radiation of coregonid fish. Evol. Ecol. 25:573–588. , , , , , and .
- 2005. HP-RARE 1.0: a computer program for performing rarefaction on measures of allelic richness. Mol. Ecol. Notes 5:187–189.
- 2012. Estimating population-level coancestry coefficients by an admixture F model. Genetics 192:609–617. and .
- 2013. driftsel: an R package for detecting signals of natural selection in quantitative traits. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 13:746–754. , , , , and .
- 2006. A revised model for lipid-normalizing delta C-13 values from aquatic organisms, with implications for isotope mixing models. J. Appl. Ecol. 43:1213–1222. , , , , , and .
- 2010. The charr problem revisited: exceptional phenotypic plasticity promotes ecological speciation in postglacial lakes. Freshw. Rev. 3:49–74.
- 1989. Habitat shifts in a dense, resident Arctic charr Salvelinus alpinus population. Physiol. Ecol. Japan 1:187–200. , , , , and .
- 2002. Evidence for genetic differences in the offspring of two sympatric morphs of Arctic charr. J. Fish Biol. 60:933–950. , , , and .
- 2006. Divergent, genetically based feeding behaviour of two sympatric Arctic charr, Salvelinus alpinus (L.), morphs. Ecol. Freshw. Fish 15:350–355. , , , and .
- 2006. Incipient speciation through niche expansion: an example from the Arctic charr in a subarctic lake. Proc. Biol. Sci. 273:2291–2298. , , , and .
- 1998. Lake Inarijärvi, northern Finland: sedimentation and late quaternary evolution. Geological Survey of Finland, Espoo, Finland. Rep. Invest. 143:1–25. , , and .
- 1992. Neutral theory of quantitative genetic variance in an island model with local extinction and colonization. Evolution 46:381–389.
- 2005) Populations, a free population genetic software (1999–2005). Availble via: http://bioinformatics.org/project/?group_id=84 (accessed 13 February 2011). (
- 2006. Contrasting patterns of body shape and neutral genetic divergence in marine and lake populations of threespine sticklebacks. J. Evol. Biol. 19:1803–1812. , , , and .
- 2010. Adaptive radiation, ecological opportunity, and evolutionary determinism. Am. Nat. 175:623–639.
- 1999. Correlated trophic specialization and genetic divergence in sympatric lake whitefish ecotypes (Coregonus clupeaformis): support for the ecological speciation hypothesis. Evolution 53:1491–1505. and .
- 2001. Contrasting patterns of mitochondrial DNA and microsatellite introgressive hybridization between lineages of lake whitefish (Coregonus clupeaformis); relevance for speciation. Mol. Ecol. 10:965–985. , , and .
- 2004. Ice-dammed lakes and rerouting of the drainage of northern Eurasia during the last glaciation. Quatern. Sci. Rev. 23:1313–1332. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Comparison of genetic differentiation at marker loci and quantitative traits. J. Evol. Biol. 14:892–903. and .
- 2011. Adaptation to local ultraviolet radiation conditions among neighbouring Daphnia populations. Proc. Biol. Sci. 278:1306–1313. and .
- 1987. Molecular evolutionary genetics. Columbia Univ. Press, New York, NY.
- 2009. Divergent selection and heterogeneous genomic divergence. Mol. Ecol. 18:375–402. , , and .
- 2005a. Evolutionary history of the European whitefish Coregonus lavaretus (L.) species complex as inferred from mtDNA phylogeography and gill-raker numbers. Mol. Ecol. 14:4371–4387. , , , , and .
- 2005b. Morphological divergence and origin of sympatric populations of European whitefish (Coregonus lavaretus L.) in Lake Femund, Norway. J. Evol. Biol. 18:683–702. , , , , and .
- 2006. Parallel evolution of ecomorphological traits in the European whitefish Coregonus lavaretus (L.) species complex during postglacial times. Mol. Ecol. 15:3983–4001. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. A new method to uncover signatures of divergent and stabilizing selection in quantitative traits. Genetics 189:621–632. , , , , and .
- 1996. TreeView: an application to display phylogenetic trees on personal computers. Comput. Appl. Biosci. 12:357–358.
- 1997. Genetic variation of microsatellite and mitochondrial DNA markers in broad whitefish (Coregonus nasus) in the Colville and Sagavanirktok rivers in northern Alaska. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 54:1548–1556. , , , and .
- 2005. ‘Are fish what they eat’ all year round? Oecologia 144:598–606. and .
- 1997. Multiple modes of speciation involved in the parallel evolution of sympatric morphotypes of lake whitefish (Coregonus clupeaformis, Salmonidae). Evolution 51:196–205. , , and .
- 2005. Genotyping errors: causes, consequences and solutions. Nat. Rev. Genet. 6:847–859. , , , and .
- 2002. Using stable isotopes to estimate trophic position: models, methods, and assumptions. Ecology 83:703–718.
- 2013. A diagnostic tool for efficient analysis of population structure, hybridization and conservation status of European whitefish (Coregonus lavaretus (L.)) and vendace (C. albula (L.)). Adv. Limnol. 64:247–255. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and .
- R Core Development Team. 2011. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. Availble at: http://www.R-project.org (accessed 27 July 2011).
- 2007. Divergent selection as revealed by PST and QTL-based FST in three-spined stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus) populations along a coastal-inland gradient. Mol. Ecol. 16:891–905. , , , , and .
- 2010. Recent local adaptation of sockeye salmon to glacial spawning habitats. Evol. Ecol. 24:391–411. , , and .
- 2012. Genome-wide patterns of divergence during speciation: the lake whitefish case study. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 367:354–363. , , , , , , et al.
- 1989. Analyzing tables of statistical tests. Evolution 43:223–225.
- 2002. Changing times, spaces, and faces: tests and implications of adaptive morphological plasticity in the fishes of northern postglacial lakes. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 59:1819–1833. and .
- 1994. Character release and displacement in fishes – a neglected literature. Am. Nat. 144:596–627. and .
- 2007. The genetic architecture of ecological speciation and the association with signatures of selection in natural lake whitefish (Coregonus sp Salmonidae) species pairs. Mol. Biol. Evol. 24:1423–1438. and .
- 2004. Isolation, characterization and cross-salmonid amplification of 31 microsatellite loci in the lake whitefish (Coregonus clupeaformis, Mitchill). Mol. Ecol. Notes 4:89–92. , , and .
- 2004. DISTRUCT: a program for the graphical display of population structure. Mol. Ecol. Notes 4:137–138.
- 2007. Genepop'007: a complete reimplementation of the Genepop software for Windows and Linux. Molecular Ecology Resourses 8:103–106.
- 2005. Ecological speciation. Ecol. Lett. 8:336–352. and .
- 2000. The ecology of adaptive radiation. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U.K.
- 2009. Genetics and ecological speciation. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 106:9955–9962. and .
- 1992. Ecological character displacement and speciation in sticklebacks. Am. Nat. 140:85–108. and .
- 2010. Sympatric diversification as influenced by ecological opportunity and historical contingency in a young species lineage of whitefish. Evol. Ecol. Res. 12:929–947. , , , , , and .
- 2012. Temporal stability in gill raker numbers of subarctic European whitefish populations. Adv. Limnol. 63:229–240. , , and .
- 2013. Discrete foraging niches promote ecological, phenotypic and genetic divergence in sympatric whitefish (Coregonus lavaretus). Evol. Ecol. 27:547–564. , , , C. E. Adams, J. Newton, and P.-A. Amundsen.
- 1999. Sympatric morphs, populations and speciation in freshwater fish with emphasis on Arctic charr. Pp. 70–92 in A. E. Magurran, R. M. May, eds. Evolution of biological diversity. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford. , , and .
- 1973. Deglaciation of Finnmark, North Norway. Nor. Geogr. Tidsskr. 27:233–325. , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. Population-structure in Daphnia obtusa – quantitative genetic and allozymic variation. Genetics 135:367–374.
- 2002. Contrasting patterns of divergence in quantitative traits and neutral DNA markers: analysis of clinal variation. Mol. Ecol. 11:2537–2551.
- 1999. Microsatellites in grayling (Thymallus thymallus): comparison of two geographically remote populations from the Danubian and Adriatic river basin in Slovenia. Mol. Ecol. 8:1756–1758. , , and .
- 1952. The coregonid problem. IV. The significance of scales and gillrakers. Rep. Inst. Freshw. Res. Drottningholm 33:204–232.
- 1979. Speciation of Scandinavian Coregonus. Rep. Inst. Freshw. Res. Drottningholm 57:3–95.
- 2004. Late quaternary ice sheet history of northern Eurasia. Quatern. Sci. Rev. 23:1229–1271. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Within-lake variability in carbon and nitrogen stable isotope signatures. Freshw. Biol. 51:1090–1102. , , and .
- 1999. Species pairs of north temperate freshwater fishes: evolution, taxonomy, and conservation. Rev. Fish Biol. Fisheries 9:299–324.
- 2003. Reticulate evolution and phenotypic diversity in North American ciscoes, Coregonus ssp. (Teleostei: Salmonidae): implications for the conservation of an evolutionary legacy. Conserv. Genet. 4:67–81. and .
- 1999. Species flock in the North American Great Lakes: molecular ecology of Lake Nipigon Ciscoes (Teleostei: Coregonidae: Coregonus). Evolution 53:1857–1871. , , and .
- 2006. Efficiency of model-based Bayesian methods for detecting hybrid individuals under different hybridization scenarios and with different numbers of loci. Mol. Ecol. 15:63–72. and .
- 2007. Life-history and habitat features influence the within-river genetic structure of Atlantic salmon. Mol. Ecol. 16:2638–2654. , , , and .
- 2004. MICRO-CHECKER: software for identifying and correcting genotyping errors in microsatellite data. Mol. Ecol. Notes 4:535–538. , , , and
- 1999. Primary consumer delta C-13 and delta N-15 and the trophic position of aquatic consumers. Ecology 80:1395–1404. and .
- 2009. Divergence along a steep ecological gradient in lake whitefish (Coregonus sp.). J. Evol. Biol. 22:498–514. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Genetic clustering methods reveal bull trout (Salvelinus confluentus) fine-scale population structure as a spatially nested hierarchy. Conserv. Genet. 11:1421–1433. , , and .
- 2008. Evolutionary inference from QST. Mol. Ecol. 17:1885–1896.
- 2008. Eighteen new tetranucleotide microsatellite DNA markers for Coregonus lavaretus cloned from an alpine lake population. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 8:1055–1058. and .
- 1951. The genetical structure of populations. Ann. Eugen. 15:323–354.