These authors shared last authorship.
Phylogenetic plant community structure along elevation is lineage specific
Article first published online: 8 NOV 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 15, pages 4925–4939, December 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(15): 4925–4939
- Issue published online: 10 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 8 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 15 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 3 APR 2013
- Faculty of Biology and Medicine
- Herbette Foundation, University of Lausanne, Switzerland
- Swiss National Science Foundation. Grant Number: CRS113-125240
- AG. Grant Number: 31003A-125145
- European Commission. Grant Number: FP6-ECOCHANGE
- 2004. Flora alpina. Haupt Verlag AG, Bern. , , , and .
- APG III Group. 2009. An update of the Angiosperm Phylogeny Group classification for the orders and families of flowering plants: APG III. Bot. J. Linn. Soc. 161:105–121.
- 1974. Adaptations and origins of alpine plants. Arct. Antarct. Alp. Res. 6:129–142.
- 1985. Climat et météorologie de la Suisse romande. Payot, Lausanne, Switzerland.
- 2008. Microbes on mountainsides: contrasting elevational patterns of bacterial and plant diversity. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 105:11505–11511. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Does phylogenetic relatedness influence the strength of competition among vascular plants? Perspect. Plant Ecol. Evol. Syst. 10:41–50. , , , and .
- 2003. Integrating micro- and macroevolutionary processes in community ecology. Ecology 84:592–597. and .
- 2004. Phylogenetic overdispersion in Floridian oak communities. Am. Nat. 163:823–843. , , , and .
- 2009. The merging of community ecology and phylogenetic biology. Ecol. Lett. 12:693–715. , , , and .
- 2004. Neutral theory and community ecology. Ecol. Lett. 7:241–253.
- 1987. A rapid isolation procedure for small quantities of fresh leaf tissue. Phytochem. Bull. 19:11–15.
- 2007. BEAST: Bayesian evolutionary analysis by sampling trees. BMC Evol. Biol. 7:214. and .
- 2012. Assessing spatial and environmental drivers of phylogenetic structure in Brazilian Araucaria forests. Ecography 35:1–9. , , and .
- 2010. SeaView version 4: a multiplatform graphical user interface for sequence alignment and phylogenetic tree building. Mol. Biol. Evol. 27:221–224. , , and .
- 1989. On community structure in high alpine grasslands. Vegetatio 83:223–227.
- 2009. Phylogenetic structure in tropical hummingbird communities. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 106:19673–19678. , , , and .
- 2008. Local adaptation to biotic factors: reciprocal transplants of four species associated with aromatic Thymus pulegioides and T. serpyllum. J. Ecol. 96:981–992. and .
- 2007. Characterizing the phylogenetic structure of communities by an additive partitioning of phylogenetic diversity. J. Ecol. 95:493–506. and .
- 2008. GEIGER: investigating evolutionary radiations. Bioinformatics 24:129–131. , , , , and .
- 2002. Which is the optimal sampling strategy for habitat suitability modelling? Ecol. Model. 157:331–341. and .
- 2012. Altitude acts as an environmental filter on phylogenetic composition, traits and diversity in bee communities. Proc. R. Soc. Lond., B, Biol. Sci. 279:4447–4456. , , , , and .
- 2001. The unified neutral theory of biodiversity and biogeography. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 2001. MRBAYES: Bayesian inference of phylogeny. Bioinformatics 17:754–755. and .
- 1985. On ecological fitting. Oikos 45:308–310.
- 2006. The phylogenetic structure of a neotropical forest tree community. Ecology 87:S86–S99. and .
- 2010. Picante: R tools for integrating phylogenies and ecology. Bioinformatics 26:1463–1464. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Alpine plant life: functional plant ecology of high mountain ecosystems. Springer, Heidelberg, Germany.
- 2007. Trait evolution, community assembly, and the phylogenetic structure of ecological communities. Am. Nat. 170:271–283. , , , and .
- 1971. Regional coexistence of species and competition between rare species. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 68:1246–1248. and .
- 2008. Phylogenetic niche conservatism, phylogenetic signal and the relationship between phylogenetic relatedness and ecological similarity among species. Ecol. Lett. 11:995–1007.
- 2003. Niche lability in the evolution of a Caribbean lizard community. Nature 424:542–545. , , , , , , et al.
- 1967. The limiting similarity, convergence, and divergence of coexisting species. Am. Nat. 101:377–385. and .
- 2008. Balancing multiple mutualists: asymmetric interactions among plants, arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi, and fungal endophytes. Oikos 117:310–320. and .
- 2009. Angiosperm diversification through time. Am. J. Bot. 96:349–365. and .
- 2010. Opposing effects of competitive exclusion on the phylogenetic structure of communities. Ecol. Lett. 13:1085–1093. and .
- 2009. Traits, habitats, and clades: identifying traits of potential importance to environmental filtering. Am. Nat. 174:E1–E22. , , and .
- 2008. The ecological dynamics of clade diversification and community assembly. Am. Nat. 172:E270–E284.
- 1992. Monophyly of the Asteridae and identification of their major lineages inferred from DNA sequences of rbcL. Ann. Mo. Bot. Gard. 79:249–265. , , , and .
- 2010. Incorporating clade identity in analyses of phylogenetic community structure: an example with hummingbirds. Am. Nat. 176:573–587. , , and .
- 2011. Contrasting patterns of phylogenetic assemblage structure along the elevational gradient for major hummingbird clades. J. Biogeogr. 38:2350–2361. , , , and .
- 2010a. Plant traits co-vary with altitude in grasslands and forests in the European Alps. Plant Ecol. 211:351–365. , , , and .
- 2010b. Species distribution models reveal apparent competitive and facilitative effects of a dominant species on the distribution of tundra plants. Ecography 33:1004–1014. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. jModelTest: phylogenetic model averaging. Mol. Biol. Evol. 25:1253–1256.
- 2009. Ecological limits on clade diversification in higher taxa. Am. Nat. 173:662–674.
- 2011. Species interactions mediate phylogenetic community structure in a hyperdiverse lizard assemblage from arid Australia. Am. Nat. 178:579–595. , , , and .
- 2006. Are niche-based species distribution models transferable in space? J. Biogeogr. 33:1689–1703. , , , , , and .
- 2001. Phylogeny and the niche structure of meadow plant communities. J. Ecol. 89:428–435. , , and .
- 2006. Absence of phylogenetic signal in the niche structure of meadow plant communities. Proc. R. Soc. Lond., B, Biol. Sci. 273:39–44. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Phylogenetic relatedness limits co-occurrence at fine spatial scales: evidence from the Schoenoid sedges (Cyperaceae: Schoeneae) of the Cape floristic region, South Africa. Am. Nat. 168:14–27. and .
- 2008. Rates of molecular evolution are linked to life history in flowering plants. Science 322:86–89. and .
- 2009. Opposing assembly mechanisms in a Neotropical dry forest: implications for phylogenetic and functional community ecology. Ecology 90:2161–2170. and .
- 2006. The problem and promise of scale dependency in community phylogenetics. Ecology 87:2418–2424. , , , and .
- 2007. MEGA4: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis (MEGA) software version 4.0. Mol. Biol. Evol. 24:1596–1599. , , , and .
- 2003. Vascular plant and bryophyte diversity along elevational gradients in the Alps. Pp. 185–193 in L. Nagy, G. Grabherr, C. Koerner and D. B. A. Thompson, eds. Alpine biodiversity in Europe. Springer, Berlin. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Emerging patterns in the comparative analysis of phylogenetic community structure. Mol. Ecol. 18:572–592. , , , and .
- 2007. How reliable is the monitoring of permanent vegetation plots? A test with multiple observers. J. Veg. Sci. 18:413–422. and .
- 2012. Phylogenetic clustering increases with elevation for microbes. Environ. Microbiol. Rep. 4:217–226. , , , and .
- 2000. Exploring the phylogenetic structure of ecological communities: an example for rain forest trees. Am. Nat. 156:145–155.
- 2002. Phylogenies and community ecology. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 33:475–505. , , , and .
- 1999. Assembly rules as trait-based constraints on community composition. Pp. 251–271 in E. Weiher and P. Keddy, eds. Ecological assembly rules. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K. and .
- 2011. Advances, challenges and a developing synthesis of ecological community assembly theory. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. A 366:2403–2413. , , , , , and .
- 1992. Clonal biology of the temperate caespitose graminoid Schizachyrium scoparium: a synthesis with reference to climate change. Oikos 56:357–365. and .
- 2007. Bilabiate flowers: the ultimate response to bees? Ann. Bot. 100:361–374. and .
- 2005. Niche conservatism: integrating evolution, ecology, and conservation biology. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 36:519–539. and .
- 2010. Niche conservatism as an emerging principle in ecology and conservation biology. Ecol. Lett. 13:1301–1324. , , , , , , et al.