Eucalypts face increasing climate stress
Article first published online: 12 NOV 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 15, pages 5011–5022, December 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(15): 5011–5022
- Issue published online: 10 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 12 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 3 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Received: 20 SEP 2013
- Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence
- NERP. Grant Number: FT100100338
- 2012. Modelling changes in the distribution of the critical food resources of a specialist folivore in response to climate change. Divers. Distrib. 18:847–860. , , , , and .
- 2011. Impact of landscape predictors on climate change modelling of species distributions: a case study with Eucalyptus fastigata in southern New South Wales, Australia. J. Biogeogr. 38:9–19. and .
- 2013. The interaction between a drying climate and land use affects forest structure and above-ground carbon storage. Glob. Ecol. Biogeogr. doi:10.1111/geb.12083. , , , , , and .
- 2011. When could global warming reach 4 degrees C? Philos. Trans. A Math. Phys. Eng. Sci. 369:67–84. , , , , , and .
- 1994. Some possible effects of climate change on vegetation. Trans. R Soc. S Aust. 118:13.
- 2001. Forest expansion and grassland contraction within a Eucalyptus savanna matrix between 1941 and 1994 at Litchfield National Park in the Australian monsoon tropics. Glob. Ecol. Biogeogr. 10:535–548. , , and .
- 1999. Field guide to eucalypts (Volumes 1–3). Bloomings Books, Australia. and .
- 2008. Floristic and functional affiliations of woody plants with climate in western Amazonia. J. Biogeogr. 35:939–950. , , , and .
- 2012. Rainfall reductions over Southern Hemisphere semi-arid regions: the role of subtropical dry zone expansion. Sci. Rep. 2:702. doi:10.1038/srep00702. , , and .
- 2011. Rapid Range Shifts of Species Associated with High Levels of Climate Warming. Science 333:1024–1026. , , , , and .
- 2013. Increase in the range between wet and dry season precipitation. Nat. Geosci. doi:10.1038/NGEO1744. , , , , , and .
- CSIRO, and A.B.o.M. 2007. Climate change in Australia: technical report 2007. CSIRO, Canberra.
- 2012. The implications of climate change for biodiversity conservation and the National Reserve System: final synthesis. CSIRO, Canberra. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. A statistical explanation of MaxEnt for ecologists. Divers. Distrib. 17:43–57. , , , , , and .
- 1999. Temporal and spatial patterns in drought-related tree dieback in Australian savanna. J. Appl. Ecol. 36:1035–1050. and .
- 2006. A comparison of methods for mapping species ranges and species richness. Glob. Ecol. Biogeogr. 15:578–587. and .
- 2006. The ability of climate envelope models to predict the effect of climate change on species distributions. Glob. Change Biol. 12:2272–2281. and .
- 2009. OCBIL theory: towards an integrated understanding of the evolution, ecology and conservation of biodiversity on old, climatically buffered, infertile landscapes. Plant Soil 322:49–86.
- 2003. Climate change and Australia: trends, projections and impacts. Aust. Ecol. 28:423–443.
- 1996. Climatic range sizes of Eucalyptus species in relation to future climate change. Glob. Ecol. Biogeogr. Lett. 5:23–29. , , and .
- 1999) Climate change scenarios for australia. Climate research unit, University of East Anglia, Norwich. and (
- 2008. Total historical land-use change in eastern Bolivia: who, where, when, and how much? Ecol. Society 13:36. Available at http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol13/iss1/art36/. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Dynamics of Murray-Darling floodplain forests under multiple stressors: the past, present, and future of an Australian icon. Water Resour. Res. 47. doi:10.1029/2011WR010383. , , and .
- 2009. Exploring the likelihood and mechanism of a climate-change-induced dieback of the Amazon rainforest. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 106:20610–20615. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. An emission pathway for stabilization at 6 Wm(-2) radiative forcing. Clim.Chang. 109:59–76. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. A continent under stress: interactions, feedbacks and risks associated with impact of modified land cover on Australia's climate. Glob. Change Biol. 15:18. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Estimation of soil properties using the Atlas of Australian soils. CSIRO, Canberra. , , , and .
- 2007) Global Climate Projections. in S. Solomon, D. Qin, M. Manning, Z. Chen, M. Marquis, K. B. Averyt, M. Tignor and H. L. Miller, eds. Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK and New York, NY. , , , , , , et al. (
- 2013. Hurdles and Opportunities for Landscape-Scale Restoration. Science 339:526–527. , , and .
- 2013. A practical guide to MaxEnt for modeling species' distributions: what it does, and why inputs and settings matter. Ecography 36:001–012. , , and .
- 2013. Water-quality impacts from climate-induced forest die-off. Nat. Clim. Chang. 3:5. , , , , and .
- 2010. The next generation of scenarios for climate change research and assessment. Nature 463:747–756. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. The changing nature of Australian droughts. Clim.Chang. 63:323–336.
- 2011. Ecology. Communities under climate change. Science 334:1070–1071. and .
- 2011. A Large and Persistent Carbon Sink in the World's Forests. Science 333:988–993. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Ecological and evolutionary responses to recent climate change. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 37:637–669.
- 2004) A maximum entropy approach to species distribution modelling. Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Machine Learning (ed by. Banff). , , and (
- 2006. Maximum entropy modeling of species geographic distributions. Ecol. Model. 190:231–259. , , and .
- 2011. Land use/land cover changes and climate: modeling analysis and observational evidence. Wiley Interdiscip. Rev. Clim. Change 2:828–850. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Chloroplast DNA diversity associated with protected slopes and valleys for hybridizing Eucalyptus species on isolated ranges in south-eastern Australia. J. Biogeogr. 40:155–167. , , , and .
- R Core Development Team. 2008. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 2008. Attributing physical and biological impacts to anthropogenic climate change. Nature 453:353–357. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Trends in Australian rainfall: are they unusual? Aust. Meteorol. Mag. 53:11.
- 1997. Climate change and terrestrial biomass: what if trees do not migrate? Glob. Ecol. Biogeogr. Lett. 6:139–148. and .
- 2007. Australian climate change projections derived from simulations performed for the IPCC 4th Assessment Report. Aust. Meteorol. Mag. 56:131–152. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012) Wallace initiative. Available via http://wallaceinitiative.org/ (
- 2013. Focus on poleward shifts in species' distribution underestimates the fingerprint of climate change. Nat. Clim. Chang. 3:239–243. , , , , , , et al.
- 1997) Evolutionary biology and contemporary distribution of eucalypts. Pp. 92–128 in W. J. a. W. Jcz, ed. Eucalypt ecology: individuals to ecosystems, Chapter 5. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K. , , , and (
- 2010) Harnessing continent-wide biodiversity datasets for prioritising national conservation investment. CSIRO Ecosystem Sciences, Canberra (A report prepared for the Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities, Australian Government, Canberra). , , , , , , et al. (
- 2013. Temperature as a potent driver of regional forest drought stress and tree mortality. Nat. Clim. Chang. 3:6. , , and .
- 2002. Plant water relations at elevated CO2 - implications for water-limited environments. Plant Cell Environ. 25:319–331. , , and .
- 2011. Changes in the potential distribution of humid tropical forests on a warmer planet. Philos. Trans. A Math. Phys. Eng. Sci. 369:137–160. , , , , and .