Evaluating the carbon balance estimate from an automated ground-level flux chamber system in artificial grass mesocosms
Version of Record online: 11 NOV 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 15, pages 4998–5010, December 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(15): 4998–5010
- Issue online: 10 DEC 2013
- Version of Record online: 11 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 10 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Received: 24 JUN 2013
- National Environment Research Council (NERC). Grant Number: NE/C513550/1
- UK Centre for Terrestrial Carbon Dynamics (CTCD). Grant Number: F14/G6/105
- Arctic Biosphere Atmosphere Coupling at Multiple Scales (ABACUS). Grant Number: NE/D005795/1
- 1998. Relationship between the inhibition of leaf respiration by light and enhancement of leaf dark respiration following light treatment. Aust. J. Plant Physiol. 25:437–443. , , and .
- 2008. Soil respiration in European grasslands in relation to climate and assimilate supply. Ecosystems 11:1352–1367. , , , et al.
- 2005. Net ecosystem exchange of carbon dioxide in a temperate poor fen: a comparison of automated and manual chamber techniques. Biogeochemistry 76:21–45. , , , , and .
- 2006. On the variability of respiration in terrestrial ecosystems: moving beyond Q10. Glob. Change Biol. 12:154–64. , , and .
- 2003. The priming effect of organic matter: a question of microbial competition?. Soil Biol. Biochem. 35:837–843. , , and .
- 2008. Net ecosystem exchange over heterogeneous Arctic tundra: scaling between chamber and eddy covariance measurements. Global Biogeochem. Cy. 22:GB2027. , , , , and .
- 2006. Climate-carbon cycle feedback analysis: results from the C4MIP model intercomparison. J. Clim. 19:3337–53. , , , et al.
- 1999. Soil carbon inventories under a bioenergy crop (Panicum virgatum): measurement limitations. J. Environ. Qual. 28:1359–1365. and .
- 2010. Decadal water balance of a temperate Scots pine forest (Pinus sylvestris L.) based on measurements and modelling. Biogeosciences 7:1247–1261. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Plant respiration in productivity models: conceptualisation, representation and issues for global terrestrial carbon-cycle research. Funct. Plant Biol. 30:171–186.
- 2007. Forest soil CO2 flux: uncovering the contribution and environmental responses of ectomycorrhizas. Glob. Change Biol. 13:1786–1797. , , , , and .
- 2010. The MILLENNIA peat cohort model, predicting past, present and future soil carbon budgets and fluxes under changing climates in peatlands. Clim. Res. 45:207–226. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Soil respiration: implications of the plant-soil continuum and respiration chamber collar-insertion depth on measurement and modelling of soil CO2 efflux rates in three ecosystems. Eur. J. Soil Sci. 62:82–94. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Exploring the “overflow tap” theory: linking forest soil CO2 fluxes and individual mycorrhizosphere components to photosynthesis. Biogeosciences 9:79–95. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Small-scale variation in ecosystem CO2 fluxes in an alpine meadow depends on plant biomass and species richness. J. Plant. Res. 123:531–541. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Corrected calculations for soil and ecosystem measurements of CO2 flux using the Li-Cor 6200 portable photosynthesis system. Oecologia 132:1–11. , , , and .
- 2010. Tundra carbon balance under varying temperature and moisture regimes. J. Geophys. Res. 115:G00I02. doi: 10.1029/2009JG001237. , , , , , and .
- IPCC, 2007. Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.
- 2004. Carbon cycling in earth systems – a soil science perspective. Agr. Ecosyst. Environ. 104:399–417.
- 2007. Patterns in vegetation and CO2 dynamics along a water level gradient in a lowland blanket bog. Ecosystems 10:890–905. , , , and .
- 2009. Acknowledging the spatial heterogeneity in modelling/reconstructing carbon dioxide exchange in a northern aapa mire. Ecol. Model. 220:2646–2655. , , , , and .
- 1999. The effects of chamber pressurization on soil-surface CO2 flux and implications for NEE measurements under elevated CO2. Glob. Change Biol. 5:269–281. , , , and .
- 1978. Macroclimate and lignin control of litter decomposition rates. Ecology 59:465–472.
- 1968. Addition, decomposition and accumulation of organic matter in forests. J. Ecol. 56:355–362.
- 2008. Comparison of eddy covariance, chamber, and gradient methods of measuring soil CO2 efflux in an annual semi-arid grass, Bromus tectorum. Agr. Forest Meteorol. 14:1894–1907. , , and .
- 2000. Soil carbon changes: comparing flux monitoring and mass balance in a box lysimeter experiment. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 64:943–948. and .
- 1996. Effects of elevated CO2 concentration and climate-warming on photosynthesis during winter in Lolium perenne. J. Expt. Bot. 47:915–924. and .
- 2000. CO2 flux estimates tend to overestimate ecosystem C sequestration at elevated CO2. Funct. Ecol. 14:546–559. , , , and .
- 1998. Intercomparison among chamber, tower, and aircraft net CO2 and energy fluxes measured during the Arctic System Science Land-Atmosphere-Ice Interactions (ARCSS-LAII) flux study. J. Geophys. Res. 103:28993–29003. , , , , and .
- 2006. Carbon dioxide fluxes in a spatially and temporally heterogeneous temperate grassland. Oecologia 147:291–302. and .
- 2009. Determination of changes in soil carbon stocks. Pp 49–75. in W. Kutsch, M. Bahn, and A. Heinemeyer, eds. Soil Carbon Dynamics: An Integrated Methodology. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, U.K. , , , and ,
- 2007. Functional convergence in regulation of net CO2 flux in heterogeneous tundra landscapes in Alaska and Sweden. J. Ecol. 95:802–817. , , , , and .
- 2008. Effect of temperature regime on germination of seed of perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne). Grass Forage Sci. 63:249–256. , , , , and .
- 1997. Carbon and water fluxes in a calcareous grassland under elevated CO2. Funct. Ecol. 11:222–230. , , and .
- 2012. Fast assimilate turnover revealed by in situ 13CO2 pulse-labelling in Subarctic tundra. Polar Biol. 35:1209–1219. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Carbon respired by terrestrial ecosystems – recent progress and challenges. Glob. Change Biol. 12:141–153.
- 2003. Approaches and technologies for detecting changes in forest soil carbon pools. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 67:1582.
- 2009. Response of CO2 exchange in a tussock tundra ecosystem to permafrost thaw and thermokarst development. J. Geophys. Res. 114:G04018. doi:10.1029/2008JG000901. , , , and .
- 2010. Are ecological gradients in seasonal Q10 of soil respiration explained by climate or by vegetation seasonality?. Soil Biol Biochem. 42:1728–1734. , , , , , , et al.
- 1978. Primary productivity and water use in native forest, grassland, and desert ecosystems. Ecology 59:1239–1247. , , , , and .
- 2001. Primary production of an arctic watershed: an uncertainty analysis. Ecol. Appl. 11:1800–1816. , , , , , and .