Funded by ERDF-cofinanced grant CGL2009-07907 from the Spanish Ministry of Science of Innovation.
Bacterial β-glucosidase function and metabolic activity depend on soil management in semiarid rainfed agriculture
Article first published online: 10 MAR 2012
© 2011 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 4, pages 727–731, April 2012
Total views since publication: 722
How to Cite
Cañizares, R., Moreno, B. and Benitez, E. (2012), Bacterial β-glucosidase function and metabolic activity depend on soil management in semiarid rainfed agriculture. Ecology and Evolution, 2: 727–731. doi: 10.1002/ece3.88
- Issue published online: 13 APR 2012
- Article first published online: 10 MAR 2012
- Received: 7 November 2011; Accepted: 9 November 2011
- 2011. Evolutionary-economic principles as regulators of soil enzyme production and ecosystem function . Pp. 229–243 in G. Shukla and A. Varma, eds. Soil Enzymology. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg . , , , and .
- 1999. Enzyme activities as indicators of the stabilization of sewage sludges composting with Eisenia foetida. Bioresource Technol. 67:297–303. , , , , and .
- 2006. Biochemical variability of olive-orchard soils under different management systems. Appl. Soil Ecol. 32:221–231. , , , and .
- 2009. Reappraisal of drying and wetting effects on C and N mineralization and fluxes in soils. Glob. Change Biol. 15:808–824. , and .
- 1982. Enzyme activity in soils: Location and a possible role in microbial ecology. Soil Biol. Biochem., 14:423–427.
- 2008. Effects of different olive-grove management systems on the organic carbon and nitrogen content of the soil in Jaén (Spain). Soil Tillage Res. 98:56– 67. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Molecular analyses of [beta]-glucosidase diversity and function in soil. Eur. J. Soil Biol. 47:1–8. , , and .
- 2004. Changes in soil organic carbon and other physical soil properties along adjacent Mediterranean forest, grassland, and cropland ecosystems in Turkey. J. Arid Environ. 59:743–752. , , and .
- 1998. Implications of rRNA operon copy number and ribosome content in the marine oligotrophic ultramicrobacterium sphingomonas sp. strain RB2256. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 64:4433–4438. , , , and .
- 2003. Soil type is the primary determinant of the composition of the total and active bacterial communities in arable soils. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 69:1800–1809. , , , , and .
- 2009. Development of a soil degradation assessment tool for organic olive groves in southern Spain. CATENA 79:9–17. , , and .
- 2010. Culture-independent molecular techniques for soil microbial ecology. Soil Biol. Biochem. 42:878–887. , , and .
- 2000. rRNA operon copy number reflects ecological strategies of bacteria. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 66:1328–1333. , , and .
- 2009. Laws of sustainable soil management . Pp. 9–12 in E. Lichtfouse, M. Navarrete, P. Debaeke, S. Véronique, and C. Alberola, eds. Sustainable Agriculture. Springer, Netherlands .
- M.A.P.A. 1986. Métodos oficiales de análisis. Tomo III. Plantas, productos orgánicos, fertilizantes, suelos, agua, fertilizantes orgánicos. Publicaciones del Ministerio de Agricultura, Pesca y Alimentación. Madrid .
- 1999. Assessing soil quality in different agro-ecosystems through biochemical and chemico-structural properties of humic substances. Soil Tillage Res. 51:129–137. , and .
- 2009. Rainfed olive farming in south-eastern Spain: Long-term effect of soil management on biological indicators of soil quality. Agri. Ecosyst. Environ. 131:333–339. , , , , and .
- 1993. Profiling of complex microbial populations by denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis analysis of polymerase chain reaction- amplified genes coding for 16S rRNA. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 59:695–700. , , and .
- 2006. Role of Stabilised Enzymes in Microbial Ecology and Enzyme Extraction from Soil with Potential Applications in Soil Proteomics. Pp. 75–94 in P. Nannipieri, and K. Smalla, eds. Nucleic acids and proteins in soil. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg .
- 2008. Transcription dynamics of the functional tfdA gene during MCPA herbicide degradation by Cupriavidus necator AEO106 (pRO101) in agricultural soil. Environ. Microbiol. 10:571–579. , , , and .
- 2011. Enzyme activity as an indicator of soil quality changes in degraded cultivated Acrisols in the Mexican Trans-volcanic Belt. Land Degrad. Dev. 22:373–381. , , , , and .
- 2007. Bio-safety assessment of validamycin formulation on bacterial and fungal biomass in soil monitored by real-time PCR. Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 78:239–244. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Microbial stress-response physiology and its implications for ecosystem function. Ecology 88:1386–1394. , , and .
- 2010. Microorganisms and climate change: terrestrial feedbacks and mitigation options. Nat. Rev. Microbiol. 8:779–790. , , , and .
- 2010. Genetic, functional, and metabolic responses of soil microbiota in a sustainable olive orchard. Soil Sci. 175:81–88. , , , , , , , and .
- 2011. High specific activity in low microbial biomass soils across a no-till evapotranspiration gradient in Colorado. Soil Biol. Biochem. 43:97–105. , , and .
- 2002. Microbial diversity and function in soil: from genes to ecosystems. Curr. Opin. Microbiol. 5:240–245. , and .