What shall I do now? State-dependent variations of life-history traits with aging in Wandering Albatrosses
Version of Record online: 23 JAN 2014
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 4, pages 474–487, February 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(4):474–487
- Issue online: 17 FEB 2014
- Version of Record online: 23 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 14 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Received: 8 JUL 2013
- French research minister
- 2006. Effect of age, breeding experience and senescence on corticosterone and prolactin levels in a long-lived seabird: the wandering albatross. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 149:1–9. , , , and .
- 2007. Corticosterone and foraging behavior in a pelagic seabird. Physiol. Biochem. Zool. 80:283–292. , , , , and .
- 2011. Estimating survival and reproduction in a quasi-biennially breeding seabird with uncertain and unobservable states. J. Ornithol. 152:S605–S615. and .
- 1980. The costs of reproduction and their consequences. Am. Nat. 116:45–76.
- 2012. Effects of re-breeding rates on population size estimation of biennial breeders: results from a model based on albatrosses. Ibis 154:499–507. , , and .
- 2002. Model selection and Multi-Model Inference, a practical information-theoretic approach. NY, New York. and .
- 2012. The forms and fitness cost of senescence: age-specific recapture, survival, reproduction and reproductive value in a wild bird population. Am. Nat. 179:15–27. , , , and .
- 1998. Are adult nonbreeders prudent parents? The Kittiwake model. Ecology 79:2917–2930. , , , , and .
- 2002. Individual covariation in life-history traits: seeing the trees despite the forest. Am. Nat. 159:96–105. , , , , and .
- 1998. The incidence of nonbreeding by adult Great Skuas and Parasitic Jaegers from Foula. Shetland. Condor. 100:448–455. , , , , and .
- 1995. Influence of reproductive success on breeding frequency in four southern petrels. Ibis 137:360–363.
- 1995. Body condition and seabird reproductive performance: a study of three petrel species. Ecology 76:2240–2246. , , and .
- 2008. Program E-SURGE: a software application for fitting multievent models. Environ. Ecol. Stat. 3:845–866. , , and .
- 2009. U CARE: utilities for performing goodness of fit tests and manipulating CApture–REcapture data. Ecography 32:1071–1074. , , , , and .
- 1984. Reproductive effort and terminal investment in iteroparous animals. Am. Nat. 123:212–229.
- 2006. Recruitment to a seabird population depends on environmental factors and on population size. J. Anim. Ecol. 75:228–238. , , , , and .
- 2011. To breed or not to breed: a seabird's response to extreme climatic events. Biol. Lett. 7:303–306. , , , and .
- 2009. Survival costs of reproduction vary with age in North American red squirrels. Proc. Biol. Sci. 276:1129–1135. , , , , and .
- 2001. Age-related reproductive effort and senescence in free-ranging moose, Alces alces. Ecology 82:1613–1620. , , , and .
- 2013. Age-related variation in reproductive traits in the wandering albatross: evidence for terminal improvement following senescence. Ecol. Lett. 16:642–649. , , , , and .
- 2010. Small-scale dispersal and survival in a long-lived seabird, the wandering albatross. J. Anim. Ecol. 79:879–887. , , and .
- 2011. Why do some adult birds skip breeding? A hormonal investigation in a long-lived bird. Biol. Lett. 7:790–792. , , , and .
- 2003. Modeling dispersal with capture-recapture data: disentangling decisions of leaving and settlement. Ecology 84:1225–1236. and .
- 1941. New paths in genetics. Allen & Unwin, London.
- 1966. The moulding of senescence by natural selection. J., Theor. Biol. 12:12–45.
- 2009. Rank and redundancy of multistate mark-recapture models for seabird populations with unobservable states. Pp. 883–915 in D. L. Thomson, E. G. Cooch, M. J. Conroy, eds. Modeling demographic processes in marked populations, Vol 3. Springer Series: Environmental and Ecological Statistics. , and .
- 2005. Terminal reproductive effort in a marsupial. Biol. Lett. 1:271–275. and .
- 2008. Senescence rates are determined by ranking on the fast-slow life-history continuum. Ecol. Lett. 11:664–673. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Why breed every other year? The case of albatrosses. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 269:1955. , and .
- 1988. Demographic strategies of southern albatrosses. XIXth International Congress, Ottawa, Canada, Pp. 857–865. , and .
- 1979. The evolution of ageing and longevity. Proc. R Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 205:531–546. and .
- 2010. Patterns of aging in the long-lived wandering albatross. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. 107:6370–6375.
- 1968. Evolution in changing environments. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 2002. Age-specific survival and reproductive probabilities: evidence for senescence in male fallow deer (Dama dama). Proc. Biol. Sci. 269:1129–1137. , , and .
- 1996. State dependent life histories. Nature 380:215–221. and .
- 2009. Deterioration, death and the evolution of reproductive restraint in late life. Proc. Biol. Sci. 276:4061–4066. , , , , and .
- 2008. The evolutionary ecology of senescence. Funct. Ecol. 22:371–378. , , , and .
- 2003. Adaptation versus pleiotropy: why do males harm their mates? Behav. Ecol. 14:802–806. , , and .
- 2009. Reproductive performance of little penguins Eudyptula minor in relation to year, age, pair bond duration, breeding date and individual quality. J. Avian Biol. 40:296–308. and .
- Females better face senescence in the wandering albatross. Oecologia. , , and . in press.
- 2013. When celibacy matters: incorporating non-breeders improves demographic parameter estimates. PLoS ONE 8:e60389. , , and .
- 2013b. Evidence for an age-dependent influence of environmental variations on a long-lived seabird's life-history traits. Ecology 94:208–220. , , , and .
- 2010. Capture-recapture models with heterogeneity to study survival senescence in the wild. Oikos 119:524–532. , , , , , and .
- 1975. Age-specific reproductive tactics. Am. Nat. 109:453–464. and .
- 2003. A proposal for a goodness-of-fit test to the Arnason-Schwarz multisite capture-recapture model. Biometrics 59:43–53. , , and .
- 1992. Measuring the costs of reproduction. Tree 7:42–45.
- 2012. Senescence and age-specific trade-offs between reproduction and survival in female Asian elephants. Ecol. Lett. 15:260–266. , , and .
- 2011. Reciprocal tradeoffs between molt and breeding in albatrosses. The Condor. 113:61–70. , , and .
- 2008. Influence des changements climatiques et des pêcheries industrielles sur la dynamqiue des populations d'albatros de l'ocean austral. ThŠse de Doctorat de l'Universit, Pierre et Marie Curie.
- 2010. Relative influence of fisheries and climate on the demography of four albatross species. Glob. Change Biol. 16:1910–1922. , , and .
- 2009. Effect of current reproduction on apparent survival, breeding dispersal, and future reproduction in barn swallows assessed by multistate capture-recapture models. J. Anim. Ecol. 78:625–635. and .
- 1992. The evolution of life histories. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 2005. Predictors of reproductive cost in female Soay sheep. J. Anim. Ecol. 74:201–213. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Age dependent traits: a new statistical model to separate within and between individual effects. Am. Nat. 167:766–773. and .
- 1986. Acquisition and allocation of resources: their influence on variation in life history tactics. Am. Nat. 128:137–142. , and .
- 1985. Heterogeneity's ruses: some surprising effects of selection on population dynamics. Am. Stat. 39:176–185. and .
- 2006. Senescent birds redouble reproductive effort when ill: confirmation of the terminal investment hypothesis. Proc. Biol. Sci. 273:1443–1448. , , and .
- 2010. To breed or not to breed: physiological correlates of reproductive status in a facultatively biennial iguanid. Horm. Behav. 57:140–146. , , , , and .
- 1991. Sex-specific differences in molt strategy in relation to breeding in the wandering albatross. Condor. 93:731–737.
- 1992. Reproductive effort in long-lived birds: age-specific patterns of condition, reproduction and survival in the wandering albatross. Oikos 64:464–473.
- 1999. The role of body condition in breeding and foraging decision in albatrosses and petrels. Proc. Int. Ornithol. Congr. 22:1178–1189.
- 1987. Population dynamics of the Wandering albatross, Diomedea exulans, of the Crozet Islands : causes and consequences of the population decline. Oikos 49:315–322. and .
- 2000. Seasonal changes in the provisioning behaviour and mass of male and female wandering albatrosses in relation to the growth of their chick. Polar Biol. 23:733–744. and .
- 1997. Population dynamics of wandering albatross _Diomedea exulans_ and Amsterdam albatross _Diomedea amsterdamensis_ in the Indian Ocean and their relationship with long-line fisheries: conservation implications. Biol. Conserv. 79:257–270. , , and .
- 2005. Population sex ratio variation in a monogamous long-lived bird, the wandering albatross. Ecology 74:285–291. , , and .
- 2010. Age-specific changes in different components of reproductive output in female reindeer: terminal allocation or senescence? Oecologia 162:261–271. , , , , , , et al.
- 1957. Pleiotropy, Natural Selection, and the Evolution of Senescence. Evolution 11:398–411.