Antiparasite treatments reduce humoral immunity and impact oxidative status in raptor nestlings
Version of Record online: 22 NOV 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 16, pages 5157–5166, December 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(16): 5157–5166
- Issue online: 22 DEC 2013
- Version of Record online: 22 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 23 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Received: 13 JUN 2013
- Norwegian Research Council
- 2010. Anthelmintics increase survival of American coot (Fulica Americana) chicks. Auk 127:653–659. and .
- 2005. Mitochondria, oxidants and aging. Cell 120:483–495. , , and .
- 2000. The flux of free radical attack through mitochondrial DNA is related to aging rate. Aging-Clin. Exp. Res. 12:342–355.
- 2004. Aging in vertebrates, and the effect of caloric restriction: a mitochondrial free radical production-DNA damage mechanism? Biol. Rev. 79:235–251.
- 1998. The free radical theory of aging matures. Physiol. Rev. 78:547–581. and .
- 2012. Individual variation in biomarkers of health: influence of persistent organic pollutants in Great skuas (Stercorarius skua) breeding at different geographical locations. Environ. Res. 118: 31–39. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Parasite-induced reproductive effects of environmental pollutants in an arctic seabird. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 273:3117–3122. , , , , and .
- 2010. From bivalves to birds: oxidative stress and longevity. Funct. Ecol. 24:971–983. , , and .
- 1993. Cyst-forming coccidia of raptors. Significant pathogens or not?. Pp. 14–20 in P. T. Redig, J. E. Cooper, J. D. Remple, D. B. Hunter, eds. Raptor biomedicine. Univ. of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- 1969. L-ascorbic acid synthesis in birds: phylogenetic trend. Science 164:435–436. and .
- 2000. Genetic and environmental components of phenotypic variation in immune response and body size of a colonial bird, the house martin Delichon urbica. Heredity 85:75–85. , , , and .
- 2002. Intraseasonal variation in immune defence, body mass and hematocrit in adult house martins Delichon urbica. J. Avian Biol. 33:321–325. , , , and .
- 2009. No simple measures for antioxidant status in birds: complexity in inter- and intraspecific correlations among circulating antioxidant types. Funct. Ecol. 23:310–320. , and .
- 2008. Oxidative stress in ecology and evolution: lessons from avian studies. Ecol. Lett. 11:1238–1251.
- 2010. On the measurement of circulating antioxidant capacity and the nightmare of uric acid. Methods Ecol. Evol. 2:321–325.
- 2009. Does immune response cause oxidative stress in birds? A meta-analysis. Comp Biochem Physiol A 153:339–344. , and .
- 1980. The birds of the Western palaæarctic, Vol. II. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U.K. , and , eds.
- 1985. The biology of the Acanthocephala. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K. , and .
- 1996. Variable effects of the Hen Flea Ceratophyllus gallinae on the breeding success of the Great Tit Parus major in relation to weather conditions. Ibis 138:772–777. , and .
- 2005. A new automated colorimetric method for measuring total oxidant status. Clin. Biochem. 38:1103–1111.
- 2002. Free radicals, antioxidants, and nutrition. Nutrition 18:872–879. , , and .
- 2002. Inter-sexual differences in the immune response of Eurasian kestrel nestlings under food shortage. Ecol. Lett. 5:95–101. , , , and .
- 2006. An experimental study on the effects of an introduced parasite in Darwin's finches. Biol. Conserv. 127:55–61. , , and .
- 2000. Oxidants, oxidative stress and the biology of ageing. Nature 408:239–247. , and .
- 1992. Parasites, bright males and the immunocompetence handicap. Am Nat 139:603–622. , and .
- 2001. Parasites reduce territorial behaviour in red grouse (Lagopus lagopus scoticus). Ecol. Lett. 4:139–143. , and .
- 1999. A simple and universal method for molecular sexing of non-ratite birds. J. Avian Biol. 30:116–121. , and .
- 1986. Effect of testosterone treatments for varying periods on autoimmune development and on specific infiltrating leukocyte populations in the thyroid gland of obese strain chicken. Clin. Immunol. Immunopathol. 39:464–478. , and .
- 2007. Free radicals in biology and medicine. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford. , and .
- 2003. Costs of parasites in common eiders: effect of antiparasite treatment. Oikos 100:105–111. , , , and .
- 1986. The effect of a parasitic nematode on the breeding production of red grouse. J. Anim. Ecol. 55:85–92.
- 1999. Immunobiology: The immune system in health and disease, 4th ed. Taylor and Francis, London. , , , and .
- 2011. Injecting the mite into ecological immunology: measuring the antibody response of House Sparrows (Passer domesticus) challenged with Hematophagous Mites. Auk 128:340–345. , , and .
- 2007. An integrated view of oxidative stress in aging: basic mechanisms, functional effects, and pathological considerations. American Journal of Physiology-Regulatory Integrative and Comparative Physiology 292:R18–R36. , and .
- 1983. Efficacy of fenbendazole against nematodes of captive birds. Vet Rec 112:433–434.
- 1998. Parasitism, immune response and reproductive success in the house martin Delichon urbica. Oecologia 114:188–193. , , and .
- 2005. Stress hormones: a link between maternal condition and sex-biased reproductive investment. Am Nat 166:751–766. , , , and .
- 2008. Variation in maternal effects and embryonic development rates among passerine species. Phil Trans R Soc Lond B 363:1663–1674. , and .
- 2003. Detection of serum immunoglobulins in wild birds by direct ELISA: a methodological study to validate the technique in different species using antichicken antibodies. Funct. Ecol. 17:700–706. , , , , and .
- 1990. Effects of parasitism by a haematophagous mite on reproduction in the barn swallow. Ecology 71:2345–2357.
- 1993. Ectoparasites increase the cost of reproduction in their hosts. J. Anim. Ecol. 62:309–322.
- 1998. Condition, disease and immune defence. Oikos 83:301–306. , , , and .
- 2009. Oxidative stress as a mediator of life-history trade-offs: mechanisms, measurements and interpretation. Ecol. Lett. 12:75–92. , , and .
- 2008. Pre-laying nutrition mediates maternal effects on offspring immune capacity and growth in the pied flycatcher. Oecologia 156:727–735. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Oxidative stress and the effect of parasites on a carotenoid-based ornament. J. Exp. Biol. 213:400–407. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Inter-sexual differences in T-cell-mediated immunity of black-headed gull chicks (Larus ridibundus) depend on the hatching order. Beh Ecol Sociobiol 55:80–86. , , and .
- 2002. Control of parasite burdens in wild Red Grouse Lagopus lagopus scoticus through the indirect application of anthelmintics. J. Appl. Ecol. 39:909–914. , and .
- 2012. Pre-fledgling oxidative damage predicts recruitment in a long-lived bird. Biol. Lett. 8:61–63. , , and .
- 1991. Research note – use of fenbendazole for the treatment of turkeys with experimentally induced nematode infections. Poult. Sci. 70:1835–1837. , , and .
- 2009. Life history correlates of oxidative damage in a free-living mammal population. Funct. Ecol. 23:809–817. , , , and .
- 1998. Sexual dimorphism in birds: why are there so many different forms of dimorphism? Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 265:397–407. and .
- 2013. Anthelmintic treatment alters the parasite community in a wild mouse host. Biol. Lett. 9:20130205. and .
- 1977. Raptor nests as a habitat for invertebrates: a review. Raptor Res 11:86. , and .
- 1980. Evolutionary biology of parasites. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton.
- 1983. The biology of avian parasites: helminths. Pp. 367–442 in D. S. Farner, J. R. King, eds. Avian biology. vol. 7. Academic Press, New York. .
- 2000. Parasitism of (Lacanobia oleracea) Lepidoptera by the ectoparasitoid, Eulophus pennicornis, is associated with a reduction in host haemolymph phenoloxidase activity. Comp Biochem Physiol B 127:289–298. , and .
- 1998. Immunology, 5th ed. Mosby, London, U.K. , , and .
- 2007. Energetic costs of parasitism in the Cape ground squirrel Xerus inauris. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 274:2169–2177. , , , , and .
- 2011. Evolutionary parasitology. The integrated study of infections, immunology, ecology, and genetics. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U.K.. .
- 1992. Effects of sex steroid analogs on spontaneous autoimmune thyroiditis in obese strain chickens. Int Allergy Immunol 97:337–344. , , , and .
- 2007. Oxidative stress. Pp. 45–48 in G. Fink, ed. Encyclopaedia of stress. Elsevier, San Diego, CA. , and .
- 2002. Use of the Barker model in an experiment examining covariate effects on first-year survival in Ross's Geese (Chen rossii): a case study. J Appl Stat 29:497–508. , and .
- 1993. Diagnosis and treatment of helminths in buds of prey. Pp. 21–27 in P. T. Redig, J. E. Cooper, J. D. Remple, D. B. Hunter, eds. Raptor biomedicine. Univ. of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis, Minnesota. .
- 2010. Relationships between organohalogen contaminants and blood plasma clinical-chemical parameters in chicks of three raptor species from Northern Norway. Ecotox Env Saf 73:7–17. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Inflammation and oxidative stress in vertebrate host-parasite systems. Phil Trans R Soc Lond B 364:71–83. , and .
- 2002. The impact of gastrointestinal nematodes on wild reindeer: experimental and cross-sectional studies. J. Anim. Ecol. 71:937–945. , , , , , and .
- 1999. Energetic effects of sublethal exposure to lindane on pipistrelle bats (Pipistrellus pipistrellus). Env Poll 104:169–177. , , , and .
- 1999. Cost of parasitism and host immune defence in the sand martin Riparia riparia: a role for parent-offspring conflict? Oecologia 119:9–15. , and .
- 2003. Sexual dimorphism in susceptibility to parasites and cell-mediated immunity in great tit nestlings. J. Anim. Ecol. 72:839–845. , , and .
- 1990. The Eimeriidae (Apicomplexa) of raptors: review of the literature and description of new species of the genera Caryospora and Eimeria. Can. J. Zool. 68:1256–1265. , , , and .
- 2002. Anthelminthic treatment negatively affects chick survival in the Eurasian Oystercatcher Haematopus ostralegus. Ibis 144:509–517. , , and .
- 2004. Birds sacrifice oxidative protection for reproduction. Biol. Lett. 271:S360–S363. , , , and .
- 1992. Efficacy of fenbendazole against naturally acquired Raillietina-cesticillus infections of chickens. Avian Path 21:327–331. , , and .
- 1993. The use of fenbendazole in the treatment of commercial turkeys infected with Ascaridia-dissimilis. Avian Path 22:177–181. , , , , and .