Underestimating the frequency, strength and cost of antipredator responses with data from GPS collars: an example with wolves and elk
Article first published online: 26 NOV 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 16, pages 5189–5200, December 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(16): 5189–5200
- Issue published online: 22 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 26 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 18 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Received: 4 OCT 2013
- National Science Foundation Animal Behavior Program. Grant Number: IOS-1145749
- 2013. Relative influence of human harvest, carnivores, and weather on adult female elk survival across western North America. J. Appl. Ecol. 50:295–305. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Hazardous duty pay and the foraging cost of predation. Ecol. Lett. 7:999–1014. , and .
- 2005. Antipredator defenses in birds and mammals. Univ. of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- 2003. Predation risk, gender and the group size effect: does elk vigilance depend upon the behaviour of conspecifics? Anim. Behav. 66:389–398. , and .
- 2008. Risk effects in elk: sex-specific response in grazing and browsing due to predation risk from wolves. Behav. Ecol. 19:1258–1266. , and .
- 2010. A nutritionally mediated risk effect of wolves on elk. Ecology 91:1184–1191. , and .
- 2004. Balancing food and predator pressure induces chronic stress in songbirds. Proc. Biol. Sci. 271:2473–2479. , , , , and .
- 2013. Predator-induced stress and the ecology of fear. Funct. Ecol. 27:56–65. , , and .
- 2011. Toward a predictive theory of risk effects: hypotheses for prey attributes and compensatory mortality. Ecology 92:2190–2195.
- 2008. Relationships between direct predation and risk effects. Trends Ecol. Evol. 23:194–201. , and .
- 2002. The African wild dog: behavior, ecology and conservation. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton. , and .
- 2009. Density dependence and climate effects in Rocky Mountain elk: an application of regression with instrumental variables for population time series with sampling error. J. Anim. Ecol. 78:1291–1297. , and .
- 2005. Responses of elk herd size to fine-scale spatial and temporal variation in the risk of predation by wolves. Anim. Behav. 69:1181–1189. , and .
- 2005. Elk alter habitat selection as an antipredator response to wolves. Ecology 86:3387–3397. , , , , and .
- 2007. Predation risk affects reproductive physiology and demography of elk. Science 315:960. , , , and .
- 2008. Time and space in general models of antipredator response: tests with wolves and elk. Anim. Behav. 76:1139–1146. , , , and .
- 2011. A survey of the effects of wolf predation risk on pregnancy rates and calf recruitment in elk. Ecol. Appl. 21:2847–2853. , , and .
- 2003. Assessing the impact of wolves on ungulate prey. Ecol. Appl. 13:776–778. , , , and .
- 1999. The genetical theory of natural selection: a complete variorum edition. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U.K.
- 1998. Population dynamics of large herbivores: variable recruitment with constant adult survival. Trends Ecol. Evol. 13:58–63. , , and .
- 2009. The Madison headwaters elk herd: transitioning from bottom up regulation to top down limitation. Pp. 489–517 in R. Garrott, P. White, F. G. R. Watson, eds. The ecology of large mammals in central yellowstone. Elsevier, San Diego. , , and .
- 1998. High hunting costs make African wild dogs vulnerable to kleptoparasitism by hyaenas. Nature 391:479–481. , , , and .
- 2011. Neonatal mortality of elk driven by climate, predator phenology and predator community composition. J. Anim. Ecol. 80:1246–1257. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Elk population dynamics in areas with and without predation by recolonizing wolves in Banff National Park, Alberta. Can. J. Zool. 80:789–799. , , and .
- 2006. Does tiger shark predation risk influence foraging habitat use by bottlenose dolphins at multiple spatial scales? Oikos 114:257–264. , and .
- 1991. Factors affecting gerbil foraging behavior and rates of owl predation. Ecology 72:2249–2260. , , and .
- 2001. Wolves, elk, and bison: reestablishing the “landscape of fear” in Yellowstone National Park, USA. Can. J. Zool. 79:1401–1409. , , and .
- 2008. What best explains vigilance in elk: characteristics of prey, predators, or the environment? Behav. Ecol. 19:245–254. , and .
- 2006. Occupancy estimation and modeling: inferring patterns and dynamics of species occurrence. Academic Press, Amsterdam.
- 2013a. Linking anti-predator behaviour to prey demography reveals limited risk effects of an actively hunting large carnivore. Ecol. Lett. 16:1023–1030. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013b. Animal migration amid shifting patterns of phenology and predation: lessons from a Yellowstone elk herd. Ecology 94:1245–1256. , , , , , , et al.
- 1992. Capture-recapture models. Bioscience 42:94–102.
- 1993. Sublethal consequences of stream-dwelling predatory stoneflies on mayfly growth and fecundity. Ecology 74:1836–1846. , , , and .
- 1998. The energy cost of gestation in white tailed deer. Can. J. Zool. 76:1091–1097. , , and .
- 2005. Scared to death? The effects of intimidation and consumption in predator prey interactions. Ecology 86:501–509. , , and .
- 2007. Predator hunting mode and habitat domain alter nonconsumptive effects in predator-prey interactions. Ecology 88:2744–2751. , , and .
- 1999. Quantifying the relation between predator induced behavior and growth performance in larval anurans. Ecology 80:2117–2124. , and .
- 2008. Effects of predator hunting mode on grassland ecosystem function. Science 319:952–954.
- 1997. To hide or not to hide? Refuge use in a fluctuating environment. Trends Ecol. Evol. 12:375–376.
- 2004. Winter prey selection and estimation of wolf kill rates in Yellowstone National Park, 1995–2000. J. Wild. Manag. 68:153–166. , , , , and .
- 2010. Hunting for answers. Wyoming Wildlife: Publication of the Wyoming Department of Fish and Game. 11/2010: 2-111.
- 2011. Minimizing predation risk in a landscape of multiple predators: effects on the spatial distribution of African ungulates. Ecology 92:398–407. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Spatial grouping in behaviourally solitary striped hyaenas, Hyaena hyaena. Anim. Behav. 75:1131–1142. , , and .
- 1985. Ichneumia alhicauda and the evolution of viverrid gregariousness. Zeitschrift fur Tierpsychologie 68:137–151. , and .
- 1983. An experimental test of the effects of predation risk on habitat use in fish. Ecology 64:1540–1548. , , , and .
- 2011. Body condition and pregnancy in northern Yellowstone elk: evidence for predation risk effects? Ecol. Appl. 21:3–8. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Sex-specific behavioural responses of elk to spatial and temporal variation in the threat of wolf predation. Anim. Behav. 73:215–225. , and .
- 2006. Selection of northern Yellowstone elk by gray wolves and hunters. J. Wild. Manag. 70:1070–1078. , , , and .
- 2005. Elk ecology: factors influencing elk calf recruitment. Project W-160-R-32 subproject 31. Idaho Department of Fish and Game, Boise, Idaho. , , and .
- 2011. Perceived predation risk reduces the number of offspring songbirds produce per year. Science 334:1398–1401. , , , and .