Divergence of feeding channels within the soil food web determined by ecosystem type
Version of Record online: 4 DEC 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 1, pages 1–13, January 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(1):1–13.
- Issue online: 3 JAN 2014
- Version of Record online: 4 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Received: 5 NOV 2013
- UK Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council
- 2004. Determining trophic niche width: a novel approach using stable isotope analysis. J. Anim. Ecol. 73:1007–1012. , , , , and .
- 2007. Temporal and spatial variability in soil food web structure. Oikos 116:1789–1804. and .
- 2012. Decomposer community complexity affects plant competition in a model early successional grassland community. Soil Biol. Biochem. 46:41–48. and .
- 2009. Rhizosphere fauna: the functional and structural diversity of intimate interactions of soil fauna with plant roots. Plant Soil 321:213–233. , , and .
- 2005. Feeding guilds in Collembola based on nitrogen stable isotope ratios. Soil Biol. Biochem. 37:1718–1725. , , , and .
- 2008. From peds to paradoxes: linkages between soil biota and their influences on ecological processes. Soil Biol. Biochem. 40:271–289.
- 2003. Fundamentals of soil ecology, 2nd edn. Academic Press, New York. and .
- 2011. Tracking the flow of bacterially derived 13C and 15N through soil faunal feeding channels. Rapid Commun. Mass Spectrom. 25:1503–1513. , , and .
- 2012. Protozoan pulses unveil their pivotal position within the soil food web. Microb. Ecol. 63:905–918. , , , and .
- 2006. Relationships between biodiversity and soil structure and function: evidence from laboratory and field experiments. Appl. Soil Ecol. 33:176–185. and .
- 1993. Calculation of Nitrogen Mineralisation in Soil Food Webs. Plant Soil 157:263–273. , , , , and .
- 1978. Influence of diet on the distribution of carbon isotopes in animals. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta 42:495–506. and .
- 1981. Influence of Diet on the Distribution of Nitrogen Isotopes in Animals. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta 45:341–351. and .
- 2007. The trophic structure of bark-living oribatid mite communities analysed with stable isotopes (N-15, C-13) indicates strong niche differentiation. Exp. Appl. Acarol. 41:1–10. , , , , and .
- 2009. Global patterns in belowground communities. Ecol. Lett. 12:1238–1249. , , , , and .
- 2005. Trophic structure of a macroarthropod litter food web in managed coniferous forest stands: a stable isotope analysis with δ15N and δ13C. Pedobiologia 49:109–118. , , and .
- 2008. The soils of North Wyke and Rowden. Pp. 1–54 in T. R. Harrod, eds. Soil survey of England and Wales. Rothamsted Research, Okehampton. and .
- 1999. Stable-carbon and nitrogen isotope ratios of songbird feathers grown in two terrestrial biomes: implications for evaluating trophic relationships and breeding origins. Condor 101:799–805.
- 1997. Biology of springtails. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford.
- 1987. The Detrital Food Web in a Shortgrass Prairie. Biol. Fertil. Soils 3:57–68. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Linking aboveground and belowground food webs through carbon and nitrogen stable isotope analyses. Ecol. Res. 25:745–756. , , and .
- 2005. Where are the decomposers? Uncovering the soil food web of a tropical montane rain forest in southern Ecuador using stable isotopes (N-15). J. Trop. Ecol. 21:589–593. , , , , and .
- 2011. Comparing isotopic niche widths among and within communities: SIBER - Stable Isotope Bayesian Ellipses in R. J. Anim. Ecol. 80:595–602. , , , and .
- 2013. Trophic diversity and niche partitioning in a species rich predator guild - Natural variations in stable isotope ratios (C-13/C-12, N-15/N-14) of mesostigmatid mites (Acari, Mesostigmata) from Central European beech forests. Soil Biol. Biochem. 57:327–333. , , and .
- 2009. Food webs in Mongolian grasslands: The analysis of C-13 and N-15 natural abundances. Isot. Environ. Health Stud. 45:208–219. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Natural C-13 and N-15 abundance of field-collected fungi and their ecological implications. New Phytol. 144:323–330. , , , , , and .
- 2009. A manual of acarology, 3rd edn. Texas Tech Univ. Press, Texas. and .
- 2007. Can stable isotope ratios provide for community-wide measures of trophic structure? Ecology 88:42–48. , , , and .
- 2012. Highly consistent effects of plant litter identity and functional traits on decomposition across a latitudinal gradient. Ecol. Lett. 15:1033–1041. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Stable isotopes revisited: their use and limits for oribatid mite trophic ecology. Soil Biol. Biochem. 43:877–882. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Variation in trophic shift for stable isotope ratios of carbon, nitrogen, and sulfur. Oikos 102:378–390. , , , and .
- 2005. Modeling trophic pathways, nutrient cycling, and dynamic stability in soils. Pedobiologia 49:499–510. , , and .
- 1998. Transfer of nitrogen between clover and wheat: effect of root herbivory. Eur. J. Soil Biol. 34:25–30. and .
- 2009. Dissipation of bacterially derived C and N through the meso- and macrofauna of a grassland soil. Soil Biol. Biochem. 41:1146–1150. , , , , , and .
- 2012. Linking invertebrate communities to decomposition rate and nitrogen availability in pine forest soils. Appl. Soil Ecol. 54:14–23. , , and .
- 1987. Stable isotopes in ecosystem studies. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 18:293–320. and .
- 1991. Complex trophic interactions in deserts - an empirical critique of food-web theory. Am. Nat. 138:123–155.
- 2009. Compartmentalisation of the soil animal food web as indicated by dual analysis of stable isotope ratios (15N/14N and 13C/12C). Soil Biol. Biochem. 41:1221–1226. , , , and .
- 1991. Food Resources and diets of soil animals in a small area of Scots pine litter. Geoderma 49:33–62.
- 2000. What can stable isotopes (delta N-15 and delta C-13) tell about the food web of soil macro-invertebrates? Ecology 81:852–864. and .
- 2002. The soil food web: structure and perspectives. Eur. J. Soil Biol. 38:11–20.
- 2000. The soil food web of two beech forests (Fagus sylvatica) of contrasting humus type: stable isotope analysis of a macro- and a mesofauna-dominated community. Oecologia 123:285–296. and .
- 2004. Trophic niche differentiation in soil microarthropods (Oribatida, Acari): evidence from stable isotope ratios (N-15/N-14). Soil Biol. Biochem. 36:1769–1774. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Carbon isotopes in functional soil ecology. Trends Ecol. Evol. 19:148–154.
- 2010. Considering fungal:bacterial dominance in soils - Methods, controls, and ecosystem implications. Soil Biol. Biochem. 42:1385–1395. and .
- 2011. Impact of litter species diversity on decomposition processes and communities of soil organisms. Soil Biol. Biochem. 43:9–19. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 2012. Food webs: reconciling the structure and function of biodiversity. Trends Ecol. Evol. 27:689–697. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Stable isotopes of carbon and nitrogen in soil ecological studies. Biol. Bull. 34:395–407.
- 2005. Effects of root feeding, cranefly larvae on soil microorganisms and the composition of rhizosphere solutions collected from grassland plants. Appl. Soil Ecol. 28:203–215. , , , and .
- 2003. Sources of variation in consumer-diet delta N-15 enrichment: a meta-analysis. Oecologia 136:169–182. and .
- 1995. Impacts of disturbance on detritus food webs in agro-ecosystems of contrasting tillage and weed management practices. Pp. 105–185 in M. Begon, A. H. Fitter, eds. Advances in ecological research. Academic Press, London.
- 1965. A Comparison of Some Quantitative Methods of Extracting Small Vermiform Nematodes from Soil. Ann. Appl. Biol. 55:25–38. and .
- 2012. Plant species richness: the world records. J. Veg. Sci. 23:796–802. , , , and .