Host-plant genotypic diversity and community genetic interactions mediate aphid spatial distribution
Article first published online: 15 DEC 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 2, pages 121–131, January 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(2):121–131.
- Issue published online: 20 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 15 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 31 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Received: 21 AUG 2013
- NERC CASE. Grant Number: NER/S/A/2006/14100
- NERC. Grant Number: NE/H016821/3
- 2001. Ecology – phenotypic plasticity in the interactions and evolution of species. Science 294:321–326.
- 2012. Insect herbivores drive real-time ecological and evolutionary change in plant populations. Science 338:113–116. , , , , and .
- 2005. Genetic variation in response to an indirect ecological effect. Proc. R. Soc. B 272:2577–2581. , , and .
- 2012. Evolutionary models of extended phenotypes. Trends Ecol. Evol. 27:561–569.
- 2013. Geographic structure in metabolome and herbivore community co-occurs with genetic structure in plant defence genes. Ecol. Lett. 16:791–798. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Direct and indirect effects of resource quality on food web structure. Science 319:804. , , , and .
- 2001. Genetic variation in a host-parasite association: potential for coevolution and frequency-dependent selection. Evolution 55:1136–1145. , , and .
- 2012. The R book. John Wiley & Sons Ltd, Chichester, West Sussex, U.K.
- 1995. An investigation of the differential performance of clones of the aphid Sitobion-avenae on 2 host species. Oecologia 104:379–385. , , , and .
- 2000. Insect pest management. CAB International, UK.
- 1951. Competition among pasture plants. I. Intraspecific competition among annual pasture plants. Crop Pasture Sci. 2:355–376.
- 2011. Responses of insect herbivores to sharing a host plant with a hemiparasite: impacts on preference and performance differ with feeding guild. Ecol. Entomol. 36:596–604. , , and .
- 2006. Population differentiation and genetic variation in host choice among pea aphids from eight host plant genera. Evolution 60:1574–1584. , , , , and .
- 2013. Belowground interactions shift the relative importance of direct and indirect genetic effects. Ecol. Evol. 3:1692–1701. , , and .
- 2007. Phenotypic plasticity in host choice behavior in black bean aphid, Aphis fabae (Homoptera: Aphididae). Arthropod Plant Interact. 1:187–194. , , and .
- 1950. The water-culture method for growing plants without soil. Calif. Agric. Ext. Serv. Circ. 347:1–32. , and .
- 2008. Ecological consequences of genetic diversity. Ecol. Lett. 11:609–623. , , , , and .
- 2006. Additive and interactive effects of plant genotypic diversity on arthropod communities and plant fitness. Ecol. Lett. 9:24–34. , , and .
- 1978. Physiological changes in the hemiparasite Rhinanthus serotinus before and after attachment. Physiol. Plant. 42:151–155. , and .
- 2009. Ecological speciation in phytophagous insects. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 134:1–27. , , and .
- 1990. Feeding behavior, fecundity and weight of sorghum-and corn-reared greenbugs on corn. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 55:183–190. , , and .
- 2003. Performance of Myzus persicae (Hemiptera: Aphididae) clones on different host-plants and their host preference. Bull. Entomol. Res. 93:235–242. , , and .
- R Core Team. 2013. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. Available at http://www.R-project.org/ (accessed 5 December 2013).
- RStudio. 2012. RStudio: Integrated development environment for R [Computer software]. Boston, MA. Available at http://www.rstudio.org/ (accessed 5 December 2013).
- 2010. Plant genotype mediates the effects of nutrients on aphids. Oecologia 163:675–679. , , and .
- 2011a. Genetic variation changes the interactions between the parasitic plant-ecosystem engineer Rhinanthus and its hosts. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B 366:1380–1388. , , and .
- 2011b. Forward from the crossroads of ecology and evolution. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B 366:1322–1328. , , and .
- 2008. Parasitism by Cuscuta pentagona attenuates host plant defenses against insect herbivores. Plant Physiol. 146:987–995. , , and .
- 1999. Simultaneous collection of xylem sap from Rhinanthus minor and the hosts Hordeum and Trifolium: hydraulic properties, xylem sap composition and effects of attachment. New Phytol. 143:281–298. , and .
- 1984. Genotypic interactions in an aphid-host plant relationship: Uroleucon rudbeckiae and Rudbeckia laciniata. Oecologia 61:271–276.
- 2006. Community heritability measures the evolutionary consequences of indirect genetic effects on community structure. Evolution 60:991–1003. , , , , and .
- 2006. The molecular bases of plant resistance and defense responses to aphid feeding: current status. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 122:1–16. , and .
- 2012. Plant-mediated facilitation between a leaf-feeding and a phloem-feeding insect in a brassicaceous plant: from insect performance to gene transcription. Funct. Ecol. 26:156–166. , , , , , , et al.
- 1990. Phenology of nutritional differences between new and mature leaves and its effect on caterpillar growth. Ecol. Entomol. 15:447–454. , and .
- 2005. Host-associated genetic differentiation in phytophagous insects: general phenomenon or isolated exceptions? Evidence from a goldenrod-insect community. Evolution 59:2573–2587. , , and .
- 2007. Genotype-by-genotype interactions modified by a third species in a plant-insect system. Am. Nat. 170:492–499. , , , and .
- 1988. Evolutionary ecology of the relationship between oviposition preference and performance of offspring in phytophagous insects. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 47:3–14.
- 1991. Specialized host plant performance of pea aphid clones is not altered by experience. Ecology 72:1420–1427.
- 2006. A framework for community and ecosystem genetics: from genes to ecosystems. Nat. Rev. Genet. 7:510–523. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Evolutionary consequences of indirect genetic effects. Trends Ecol. Evol. 13:64–69. , , , , and .
- 2011. Genetic interactions influence host preference and performance in a plant-insect system. Evol. Ecol. 25:1321–1333. , and .
- 2013. Host preference of plant genotypes is altered by intraspecific competition in a phytophagous insect. Arthropod Plant Interact. 7:349–357. , and .
- 2010. Community genetic interactions mediate indirect ecological effects between a parasitoid wasp and rhizobacteria. Ecology 91:1563–1568. , , , , and .