These authors contributed equally to this work
Application of DNA barcoding for identification of freshwater carnivorous fish diets: Is number of prey items dependent on size class for Micropterus salmoides?
Version of Record online: 23 DEC 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 2, pages 219–229, January 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(2):219–229.
- Issue online: 20 JAN 2014
- Version of Record online: 23 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 14 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Received: 22 JUL 2013
- Basic Science Research Program
- National Research Foundation of Korea
- Ministry of Education. Grant Number: NRF-2012-R1A6A3A04040793
- 1996. A new approach to graphical analysis of feeding strategy from stomach contents data-modification of the Costello (1990) method. J. Fish Biol. 48:607–614. , , and .
- 2013. A road map for molecular ecology. Mol. Ecol. 22:2605–2626. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Fish communities and food web interactions in some shallow Mediterranean lakes. Hydrobiologia 506:473–480. , , , and .
- 2005. Universal primers and PCR of gut contents to study marine invertebrate diets. Mol. Ecol. 14:891–899. and .
- 2010. Revolution in food web analysis and trophic ecology: diet analysis by DNA and stable isotope analysis. Mol. Ecol. 19:25–27. and .
- 2011. Utilization of stomach content DNA to determine diet diversity in piscivorous fishes. J. Fish Biol. 78:1170–1182. , , , and .
- 2009. Species on the menu of a generalist predator, the eastern red bat (Lasiurus borealis): using a molecular approach to detect arthropod prey. Mol. Ecol. 18:2532–2542. , , , , and .
- 2012. Krill feeding on sediment in the Gulf of Maine (North Atlantic). Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 455:157–172. , , and .
- 2010. A PCR-based method for diet analysis in freshwater organisms using 18S rDNA barcoding on faeces. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 10:96–108. , , , , , and .
- 2013. A DNA-based method for investigating feeding by copepod nauplii. J. Plankton Res. 1–5. doi: 10.1093/plankt/fbt104. , , and .
- 2007. Change of carabid beetle (Coleoptera, Carabidae) diversity and species composition after flooding events in Woopo wetlands. trophic status. Korean J. Ecol. Environ. 71:5935–5942. , , , and .
- 2008. Measurement of copepod predation on nauplii using qPCR of the cytochrome oxidase I gene. Mar. Biol. 153:699–707. , , , and .
- 2012. Copepod feeding and digestion rates using prey DNA and qPCR. J. Plankton Res. 34:72–82. , , and .
- 2011. Invasion of a headwater stream by non-native fishes in the Swartkops River system, South Africa. Afr. Zool. 46:39–46. , , and .
- 1985. Confidence limits on phylogenies: an approach using the bootstrap. Evolution 39:783–791.
- 1994. DNA primers for amplification of mitochondrial cytochrome c oxidase subunit I from diverse metazoan invertebrates. Mol. Mar. Biol. Biotech. 3:294–299. , , , , and .
- 1998. The role of introduced species in the degradation of island ecosystems: a case history of Guam. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 29:113–140. and .
- 2002. Ontogenetic diet shifts and interrupted piscivory in introduced largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides). Int. Rev. Hydrobiol. 87:353–363.
- 2008. Gut content identification of larvae of the Anopheles gambiae complex in western Kenya using a barcoding approach. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 8:512–518. , , , , and .
- 2010. Carbon source accounting for fish using combined DNA and stable isotope analyses in a regulated lowland river weir pool. Mol. Ecol. 19:197–212. , , , and .
- 2003. Biological identifications through DNA barcodes. Proc. Biol. Sci. 270:313–321. , , and .
- 2008. Resource heterogeneity, diet shifts and intra-cohort competition: effects on size divergence in YOY fish. Oecologia 158:249–257. , , and .
- 2006. Diet of introduced largemouth bass in Korean rivers and potential interactions with native fishes. Ecol. Freshw. Fish 15:315–320. , , and .
- 2004. Group-specific polymerase chain reaction for DNA-based analysis of species diversity and identity in dietary samples. Mol. Ecol. 13:1313–1322. , , and .
- 2011. Long-term changes in fish community and the impact of exotic fish, between the Nakdong River and Upo Wetlands. Korean J. Ecol. Environ. 34:59–68. , , , , , and .
- 2004. The evaluation of early growth pattern of miscanthus sacchariflorus after cutting and burning in the Woopo wetland. Korean J. Ecol. Environ. 37:255–262. , , and .
- 2002. Molecular analysis of a 11 700-year-old rodent midden from the Atacama Desert, Chile. Mol. Ecol. 11:913–924. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Clustal W and Clustal X version 2.0. Bioinformatics 23:2947–2948. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Larger body size with higher predation rate. Ecol. Freshw. Fish 16:362–372. , , , and .
- 2008. Quantitative PCR to estimate copepod feeding. Mar. Biol. 153:565–577. , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Ontogenetic niche shifts in largemouth bass: variability and consequences for first-year growth. Ecology 77:179–190.
- 2012. Determining the Diet of Larvae of Western Rock Lobster (Panulirus cygnus) Using High-Throughput DNA Sequencing Techniques. PLoS ONE 7:e42757. , , , , and .
- 1990. Juvenile competitive bottlenecks: the perch (Perca fluviatilis)-roach (Rutilus rutilus) interaction. Ecology 71:44–56. , .
- 1971. Oliphant, and ILK Iverson. 1971. Food habits of albacore, bluefin tuna and bonito in California waters. Calif. Fish Game 152:105.
- 2012. Who is eating what: diet assessment using next generation sequencing. Mol. Ecol. 21:1931–1950. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Individual variation in the timing of ontogenetic niche shifts in largemouth bass. Ecology 84:1298–1310.
- 2010. Qualitative assessment of the diet of European eel larvae in the Sargasso Sea resolved by DNA barcoding. Biol. Lett. 6:819–822. , , , , , , et al.
- 1987. The neighbor-joining method: a new method for reconstructing phylogenetic trees. Mol. Biol. Evol. 4:406–425. and .
- 2005. Advances in molecular ecology: tracking trophic links through predator-prey food-webs. Funct. Ecol. 19:751–762. and .
- 2011. MEGA5: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis using maximum likelihood, evolutionary distance, and maximum parsimony methods. Mol. Biol. Evol. 28:2731–2739. , , , , , and .
- 1992. A history of international introductions of inland aquatic species. ICES Mar. Sci. Symp. 194:3–14.
- 2010. The effect of largemouth bass Micropterus salmoides on aquatic macro-invertebrate communities in the Wit River, Eastern Cape, South Africa. Afr. J Aquat. Sci. 35:273–281. , , , and .
- 2012. Size-dependent ontogenetic diet shifts to piscivory documented from stable isotope analyses in an introduced population of largemouth bass. Environ. Biol. Fishes 93:255–266. , , , , , , et al.