First two authors contributed equally but in different capacities to this manuscript.
On the evolution of omnivory in a community context
Version of Record online: 29 DEC 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 3, pages 251–265, February 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(3):251–265
- Issue online: 4 FEB 2014
- Version of Record online: 29 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 11 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Received: 15 JUL 2013
- Roitberg's NSERC Discovery
- 2004. Evolution of niche width and adaptive diversification. Evolution 58:2599–2612. , and .
- 2000. Lygus hesperus and L. lineolaris (Hemiptera: Miridae), Phytophages, Zoophages, or Omnivores: evidence of Feeding Adaptations Suggested by the Salivary and Midgut. J. Entomol. Sci. 35:176–186. , and .
- 2010. Food web structure and body size: trophic position and resource acquisition. Oikos 119:147–153. , , , , and .
- 1997. The complexity of cooperation. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 1981. Patterns of parental investment, dispersal and size among coral-reef fishes. Environ. Biol. Fishes 6:65–85.
- 2010. The interacting effects of temperature and food chain length on trophic abundance and ecosystem function. J. Anim. Ecol. 79:693–700. , , and .
- 2009. Habitat impoverishment and egg predation by Alouatta caraya. Int. J. Primatol. 30:743–748. , , , , and .
- 2004. Differential enzyme targeting as an evolutionary adaptation to herbivory in carnivora. Mol. Biol. Evol., 21:632–646. , , , , and .
- 1991. Diet mixing: nonadditive interactions of diet items in an omnivorous freshwater turtle. Ecology 72:1234–1241.
- 2000. The evolution of body size: what keeps organisms small? Q. Rev. Biol. 75:385–407.
- 2007. Physiological constraints on contest behaviour. Funct. Ecol. 21:627–637. , and .
- 1992. Organization of predator-prey communities as an evolutionary game. Evolution 46:1269–1283. , and .
- 1976. Optimal foraging: attack strategy of a mantid. Am. Nat. 110:141–151.
- 1979. Why big fierce animals are rare: an ecologist's perspective. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton.
- 2002. Omnivory in terrestrial arthropods: mixing plant and prey diets. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 47:267–297. , and .
- 2003. Might nitrogen limitation promote omnivory among carnivorous arthropods? Ecology 91:3114–3117. , and .
- 2003. The evolution and maintenance of omnivory: dynamic constraints and the role of food quality. Ecology 84:2557–2567.
- 2003. The evolution of omnivory in heteropteran insects. Ecology 84:2549–2556. , , and .
- 2007. High-level similarity of dentitions in carnivorans and rodents. Nature 445:78–81. , , , and .
- 1993. On the relatedness of big, fierce animals: speculation about the body sizes, population densities, and geographic ranges of predatory mammals and large carnivorous dinosaurs. Am. J. Sci., 293-A:167–199. ,
- 1993. Genetic algorithms: principles of natural selection applied to computation. Science 261:872–878.
- 1990. Trade-offs in fitness on different hosts: evidence from a selection experiment with a phytophagous mite. Am. Nat. 136:569–580.
- 1998. Individual behaviour and community dynamics. Chapman and Hall, New York. , and .
- 1999. Kin competition, the cost of inbreeding and the evolution of dispersal. J. Theor. Biol. 200:345–364.
- 1989. Genetic algorithms in search, optimization, and machine learning. Addison-Wesley Publishing Company Inc, Reading, MA.
- 1984. Natural selection, kin selection and group selection. Pp. 62–84 in J. R. Krebs, N. B. Davies, eds. Behavioural ecology: an evolutionary approach, 2nd ed., Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford.
- 2002. Influence of food abundance on competitive aggression in juvenile convict cichlids. Anim. Behav. 63:323–330. , , , and .
- 2008. Host-range evolution in Aphidius parasitoids: fidelity, virulence and fitness trade-offs on an ancestral host. Evolution 62:689–699. , , and .
- 2008. Morphological and mechanical determinants of bite force in bats: do muscles matter? J. Exp. Biol. 211:86–91. , , , and .
- 1991. A user's guide to principal components. John Wiley & Sons Inc, Hoboken, NJ.
- 2009. Relevance of aquatic environments for hominins: a case study from Trinil (Java, Indonesia). J. Hum. Evol. 57:656–671. , , , , and .
- 1993. An introduction to behavioural ecology, 3rd ed. Blackwell Publishing, London. , and .
- 2005. Adaptive omnivory and species coexistence in tri-trophic food webs. Theor. Popul. Biol. 67:85–99. and .
- 2003. Adaptive foraging and flexible food web topology. Evol. Ecol. Res. 5:623–652. , and .
- 1999. Plant-feeding by arthropod predators contributes to the stability of predator-prey population dynamics. Oikos 87:603. , , , and .
- 1976. Competitive interactions in ecosystems. Am. Nat. 110:903–910.
- 2009. The importance of niches for the maintenance of species diversity. Nature 461:254–257. , and .
- 1998. Dictionary of ecology, evolution, and systematics, 2nd ed.. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge. , , and .
- 2007. The role of functional traits and trade-offs in structuring phytoplankton communities: scaling from cellular to ecosystem level. Ecol. Lett. 10:1170–1181. , , , and .
- 1978. Community development and persistence in a low rocky intertidal zone. Ecol. Monogr. 48:67–94. , and .
- 2006. The evolution of resource adaptation: how generalist and specialist consumers evolve. Bull. Math. Biol. 68:1111–1123. , and .
- 1999. An experimental study of competition between the native Sacramento perch (Archoplites interruptus) and introduced bluegill (Lepomis macrochirus). Biol. Invasions 1:55–65.
- 2008. Offspring size variation within broods as a bet-hedging strategy in unpredictable environments. Ecology 89:2506–2517. , , and .
- 2005. Correlating diet and digestive tract specialization: examples from the lizard family Liolaemidae. Zoology 108:201–210. , , , and .
- 2009. Notes on the diet of the critically endangered orange-fronted parakeet (Cyanoramphus malherbi) on Maud Island. N.Z. J. Zool. 36:385–388. , and .
- 2004. Resolving within- and between-population variation in feeding ecology with a biomechanical model. Oecologia 141:57–65. , , , and .
- 2010. Foods of hunter-killed Black Francolins (Francolinus francolinus) in Cyprus. Eur. J. Wildl. Res. 56:89–93. , , , , and .
- 1999. The functional relationship between feeding type and jaw and cranial morphology in ungulates. Comp. Gen. Pharmacol. 118:157–165. , and .
- 2005. Games among cannibals: competition to cannibalize and parent-offspring conflict lead to increased sibling cannibalism. J. Evol. Biol. 18:1523–1533. , and .
- 1978. On feeding on more than one trophic level. Nature 275:542–544. , and .
- 1992. Intraguild predation: the dynamics of complex trophic interactions. Trends Ecol. Evol. 7:151–155. , and .
- 1989. The ecology and evolution of intraguild predation: potential competitors that eat each other. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 20:297–330. , , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2013. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. Available at: http://www.Rproject.org/. (accessed 8 January 2004).
- 2005. The cost of being an omnivore: mandible wear from plant feeding in a true bug. Naturwissenschaften 92:431–434. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Omnivory and the indeterminacy of predator function: can a knowledge of foraging behavior help? Ecology 84:2538–2548. , and .
- 2006. The evolution of resource specialization through frequency-dependent and frequency-independent mechanisms. Am. Nat. 167:81–93. , , and .
- 1974. Resource partitioning in ecological communities. Science 185:27–39.
- 2003. Understanding omnivory needs a behavioural perspective. Ecology 84:2532–2537. and .
- 1974. The optimal balance between size and number of offspring. Am. Nat. 108:499–506. , and .
- 2000. Are predators rare? Oikos 89:115–122.
- 1994. Limiting similarity in mechanistic and spatial models of plant competition in heterogeneous environments. Am. Nat. 143:222–257. , and .
- 1990. Genetic algorithms and evolution. J. Theor. Biol. 147:59–84. , , , and .
- 2000. Scaling of natal dispersal distances in terrestrial birds and mammals. Conserv. Ecol. 4:16–52. , , , and .
- 2001. Alternative food, switching predators, and the persistence of predator-prey systems. Am. Nat. 157:512–524. , , , and .
- 2007. Predicting the frequency of food-related agonism in white-faced capuchin monkeys (Cebus capucinus), using a novel focal-tree method. Am. J. Primatol. 69:533–550. , and .
- 2002. Low aggression levels and unbiased sex ratios in a prey-rich environment: no evidence of siblicide in Ngorongoro spotted hyenas (Crocuta crocuta). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 52:348–356. , , , , and .
- 2008. Allochthonous prey subsidies provide an asymmetric growth benefit to invasive bluegills over native cyprinids under the competitive conditions in a pond. Biol. Invasions 11:1347–1355. , , , , , and .