Nitrate enrichment alters a Daphnia–microparasite interaction through multiple pathways
Article first published online: 28 DEC 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 3, pages 243–250, February 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(3):243–250
- Issue published online: 4 FEB 2014
- Article first published online: 28 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 16 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Received: 18 SEP 2013
- University of Georgia
- Odum School of Ecology
- 1978. Regulation and stability of host-parasite population interactions: I. Regulatory processes. J. Anim. Ecol. 47:219–247. and .
- 2003. Nutrient enrichment can increase the severity of coral diseases. Ecol. Lett. 6:1056–1061. , , , and .
- 2006. Ecological and toxicological effects of inorganic nitrogen pollution in aquatic ecosystems: a global assessment. Environ. Int. 32:831–849. and .
- 2005. A parasite-mediated life-history shift in Daphnia magna. Proc. Biol. Sci. 272:505–509. and .
- 2012. Chronic contamination decreases disease spread: a Daphnia–fungus–copper case study. Proc. Biol. Sci. 279:3146–3153. , , , and .
- 2007. Rapid evolution and ecological host–parasite dynamics. Ecol. Lett. 10:44–53. and .
- 2009. Rapid evolution, seasonality, and the termination of parasite epidemics. Ecology 90:1441–1448. , , , and .
- 2000. Dose effects and density-dependent regulation of two microparasites of Daphnia magna. Oecologia 122:200–209. , , and .
- 1990. Phosphorus and nitrogen limitation of phytoplankton growth in the freshwaters of North America: a review and critique of experimental enrichments. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 47:1468–1477. , , and .
- 2003. Ecological effects of nitrogen deposition in the western United States. Bioscience 53:404–420. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Emerging fungal threats to animal, plant and ecosystem health. Nature 484:186–194. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Eating yourself sick: transmission of disease as a function of foraging ecology. Ecol. Lett. 10:207–218. , , , , , and .
- 2012. Interactions between environmental stressors: the influence of salinity on host–parasite interactions between Daphnia magna and Pasteuria ramosa. Oecologia 171:789–796. , , and .
- 2012. Diverse effects of parasites in ecosystems: linking interdependent processes. Front. Ecol. Environ. 10:186–194. , , and .
- 2008. Influence of eutrophication on disease in aquatic ecosystems: patterns, processes, and predictions. Pp. 71–99. in R. S. Ostfeld, F. Keesing, V. T. Eviner, eds. Infectious Disease Ecology: Effects of Ecosystems on Disease and of Disease on Ecosystems. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, NJ. and .
- 2007. Aquatic eutrophication promotes pathogenic infection in amphibians. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. 104:15781–15786. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Linking environmental nutrient enrichment and disease emergence in humans and wildlife. Ecol. Appl. 20:16–29. , , , , , , et al.
- 1991. Suspended clay reduces Daphnia feeding rate. Freshw. Biol. 25:357–365.
- 2006. Role of elevated organic carbon levels and microbial activity in coral mortality. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 314:119–125. , , , , and .
- 2000. Blue babies and nitrate-contaminated well water. Environ. Health Perspect. 108:675. , , , , and .
- 1997. Environmental parasitology: what can parasites tell us about human impacts on the environment? Parasitol. Today 13:251–255.
- 2003. How should environmental stress affect the population dynamics of disease? Ecol. Lett. 6:654–664. and .
- National Research Council. 2000. Clean coastal waters: understanding and reducing the effects of nutrient pollution. National Academic Press, Washington, DC.
- 2011. Pathogen-induced rapid evolution in a vertebrate life-history trait. Proc. Biol. Sci. 278:35–41. , , , , , , et al.
- 1970. Speciation in the yeast genus Metschnikowia. Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek 36:357–381. , and .
- 2002. Nutrient-enhanced productivity in the northern Gulf of Mexico: past, present and future. Hydrobiologia 475:39–63. , , , , , and .
- 2012. The impact of infection on host competition and its relationship to parasite persistence in a Daphnia microparasite system. Evol. Ecol. 26:95–107. and .
- 2005. Bioassay Analysis using R. J. Statistical Software 12:1–22. and .
- 1989. Nonlinear Regression. Wiley and Sons, New York. and .
- 2003. Eutrophication of freshwater and coastal marine ecosystems: a global problem. Environ. Sci. Pollut. Res. Int. 10:126–139.
- 2011. The European Nitrogen Assessment: Sources, Effects, and Policy Perspectives. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Can parasites drive population cycles in mountain hares? Proc. Biol. Sci. 276:1611–1617. , , , , and .
- 2007. Parasites alter community structure. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA. 104:9335–9339. , , , , , and .