Habitat dynamics, marine reserve status, and the decline and recovery of coral reef fish communities
Version of Record online: 13 JAN 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 4, pages 337–354, February 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(4):337–354
- Issue online: 17 FEB 2014
- Version of Record online: 13 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 26 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Received: 6 AUG 2013
- Australian Research Council (ARC)
- CRC Reef Research Centre
- Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population, and Communities (DSEWPaC)
- Marine and Tropical Sciences Research Facility (MTSRF)
- National Environmental Research Program (NERP)
- 2006. How much does the fishery at Apo Island benefit from spillover of adult fish from the adjacent marine reserve? Fish. Bull. 104:360–375. , , and .
- 2009. Recurrent disturbances, recovery trajectories, and resilience of coral assemblages on a South Central Pacific reef. Coral Reefs 28:775–780. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Connectivity, biodiversity conservation and the design of marine reserve networks for coral reefs. Coral Reefs 28:339–351. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Dispersal of grouper larvae drives local resource sharing in a coral reef fishery. Curr. Biol. 23:626–630. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Emergent zonation and geographic convergence of coral reefs. Ecology 86:2586–2600. , , , and .
- 2010. Decadal trends in marine reserves reveal differential rates of change in direct and indirect effects. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. 107:18256–18261. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Regional-scale assembly rules and biodiversity of coral reefs. Science 292:1532–1535. and .
- 2002. Assembly rules and functional groups at global biogeographical scales. Funct. Ecol. 16:557–562. , , , and .
- 2004. Confronting the coral reef crisis. Nature 429:827–833. , , , and .
- 2012. Coral recovery may not herald the return of fishes on damaged coral reefs. Oecologia 170:567–573. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. A comparison of the 1998 and 2002 coral bleaching events on the Great Barrier Reef: spatial correlation, patterns, and predictions. Coral Reefs 23:74–83. , , , and .
- 2008. Trade-offs associated with dietary specialization in corallivorous butterflyfishes (Chaetodontidae: Chaetodon). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 62:989–994. and .
- 2012. Terrestrial pollutant runoff to the Great Barrier Reef: an update of issues, priorities and management responses. Mar. Pollut. Bull. 81:81–100. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Regional decline of coral cover in the Indo-Pacific: timing, extent, and subregional comparisons. PLoS ONE 2:e711. and .
- 2008. One-third of reef-building corals face elevated extinction risk from climate change and local impacts. Science 321:560–563. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Rapid increase in coral cover on an isolated coral reef, the Ashmore Reef National Nature Reserve, north-western Australia. Mar. Freshw. Res. 62:1214–1220. , , , and .
- 2006. PRIMER v6: user manual/tutorial. PRIMER-E, Plymouth. and .
- 2001. Change in marine communities: an approach to statistical analysis and interpretation. 2nd ed. PRIMER-E, Plymouth. and .
- 2011. Combined effects of levels of protection and environmental variables at different spatial resolutions on fish assemblages in a marine protected area. Conserv. Biol. 25:105–114. , , and .
- 2012. Interactive effects of live coral and structural complexity on the recruitment of reef fishes. Coral Reefs 31:919–927. , , and .
- 1978. Diversity in tropical rain forests and coral reefs. Science 199:1302–1310.
- 2009. Doom and boom on a resilient reef: climate change, algal overgrowth and coral recovery. PLoS ONE 4:e5239. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Larger biomass of targeted reef fish in no-take marine reserves on the Great Barrier Reef, Australia. Aquat. Conserv. 14:505–519. and .
- 2005. Establishing representative no-take areas over 1/3 of the Great Barrier Reef: large-scale implementation of Marine Protected Area theory with lessons for global application. Conserv. Biol. 19:1733–1744. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Latitudinal gradients in Atlantic reef fish communities: trophic structure and spatial use patterns. J. Fish Biol. 64:1680–1699. , , , and .
- 2012. Chronic exposure of corals to fine sediments: lethal and sub-lethal impacts. PLoS ONE 7:e37795. , , , , , and .
- 2013. Susceptibility of central Red Sea corals during a major bleaching event. Coral Reefs 32:505–513. , , and .
- 2010. Net contribution of spillover from a marine reserve to fishery catches. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 400:233–243. , , , , and .
- 2006. Dynamic fragility of oceanic coral reef ecosystems. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. 103:8425–8429. , , , , , and .
- 2011. From microbes to people: tractable benefits of no-take areas for coral reefs. Oceanogr. Mar. Biol. Annu. Rev. 49:105–135. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. The impact of marine reserves: do reserves work and does size matter? Ecol. Appl. 13:S117–S137.
- 2012. Larval export from marine reserves and the recruitment benefit for fish and fisheries. Curr. Biol. 22:1023–1028. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Disturbance, habitat structure and the ecology of fishes on coral reefs. Aust. J. Ecol. 23:287–297. and .
- 2004. Coral decline threatens fish biodiversity in marine reserves. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 101:8251–8253. , , , and .
- 2012. The effect of coral morphology on shelter selection by coral reef fishes. Coral Reefs 31:415–424. and .
- 2009. Biological effects within no-take marine reserves: a global synthesis. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 384:33–46. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Hierarchical drivers of reef-fish metacommunity structure. Ecology 90:252–264. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Bleaching of corals on the Great Barrier Reef: differential susceptibilities among taxa. Coral Reefs 19:155–163. and .
- 2007. Toward pristine biomass: reef fish recovery in coral reef marine protected areas in Kenya. Ecol. Appl. 17:1055–1067. , , , and .
- 2009. Effects of marine reserve age on fish populations: a global meta-analysis. J. Appl. Ecol. 46:743–751. , , and .
- 2011. Marine reserves enhance the recovery of corals on caribbean reefs. PLoS ONE 5:e8657. and .
- 2006. Fishing, trophic cascades, and the process of grazing on coral reefs. Science 311:98–101. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Habitat loss, resource specialization, and extinction on coral reefs. Glob. Change Biol. 10:1642–1647.
- 2009. Bleaching resistance and the role of algal endosymbionts. Pp. 83–102. in M. J. H. van Oppen and eds. Coral bleaching: patterns, processes, causes and consequences. Ecological Studies. Vol. 205. Springer, Berlin, Germany. , , , .
- 2008. Thinking outside the reef. Science 319:1759. , , and .
- 2006. Declines in the abundance of Chaetodon butterflyfishes (Chaetodontidae) following extensive coral depletion. J. Fish Biol. 69:1269–1280. , , and .
- 2011. Changes in biodiversity and functioning of reef fish assemblages following coral bleaching and coral loss. Diversity 3:424–452. , , , , and .
- 1993. Hurricanes and coral reefs: the intermediate disturbance hypothesis revisited. Coral Reefs 12:127–137.
- 2013. Caught in the middle: combined impacts of shark removal and coral loss on the fish communities of coral reefs. PLoS ONE 8:e74648. , , , , and .
- 2010. Decadal-scale rebuilding of predator biomass in Philippine marine reserves. Oecologia 163:1103–1106. and .
- 2011. Enhanced biodiversity beyond marine reserve boundaries: the cup spillith over. Ecol. Appl. 21:241–250. and .
- 2008. Rapid increase in fish numbers follows creation of world's largest marine reserve network. Curr. Biol. 18:R514–R515. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Baselines and degradation of coral reefs in the northern Line Islands. PLoS ONE 3:e1548. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Resilience of coral communities on an isolated system of reefs following catastrophic mass-bleaching. Coral Reefs 27:197–205. , , and .
- 2010. Coral bleaching: one disturbance too many for near-shore reefs of the Great Barrier Reef. Coral Reefs 29:637–648. and .
- 2006. Structure, food and shade attract juvenile coral reef fish to mangrove and seagrass habitats: a field experiment. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 306:257–268. , , , , , and .
- 2013a. Patterns of recruitment and microhabitat associations for three predatory coral reef fishes on the southern Great Barrier Reef, Australia. Coral Reefs 32:389–398. , , , and .
- 2013b. Recruitment hotspots boost the effectiveness of no-take marine reserves. Biol. Conserv. 166:124–131. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. No-take marine reserves increase abundance and biomass of reef fish on inshore fringing reefs of the Great Barrier Reef. Environ. Conserv. 31:149–159. , , and .
- 2006. Multiple disturbances and the global degradation of coral reefs: are reef fishes at risk or resilient? Glob. Change Biol. 12:2220–2234. , , , , and .
- 2008. Exploitation and habitat degradation as agents of change within coral reef fish communities. Glob. Change Biol. 14:2796–2809. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Maintenance of fish diversity on disturbed coral reefs. Coral Reefs 28:3–14. , , , , , and .
- 2012. Effect of macroalgal expansion and marine protected areas on coral recovery following a climatic disturbance. Conserv. Biol. 26:995–1004. , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. Effects of cyclone “Joy” on nearshore coral communities of the Great Barrier Reef. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 128:261–270. , , and .