Litter loss triggers estrus in a nonsocial seasonal breeder
Article first published online: 3 JAN 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 3, pages 300–310, February 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(3):300–310.
- Issue published online: 4 FEB 2014
- Article first published online: 3 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 27 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Received: 6 SEP 2013
- Austrian Science Fund. Grant Number: P20182-B17
- Swedish Environmental Protection Agency
- Norwegian Directorate for Nature Management
- Swedish Association for Hunting and Wildlife Management
- Research Council of Norway
- 1973. Information theory and an extension of the maximum likelihood principle. Pp. 267–281 in B. Petrov, F. Caski, eds. Proceeding of the second international symposium on information theory. Akademiai Kiado, Budapest.
- 2008. Model based inference in the life sciences, a primer on evidence. Springer Science + Business Media, New York.
- 1994. Sexual selection. Princeton Univ. Press, New Jersey.
- 2011. Biomedical protocols for free-ranging brown bears, wolves, wolverines and lynx. 14 Pp. Hedmark University College, Evenstad, Norway. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Reproductive biology and endocrine studies. Pp. 273–292 in L. Boitani, R. A. Powell, eds. Powell carnivore ecology and conservation: a handbook of techniques. Oxford Univ. Press, New York.
- 1994. Infanticide in a seasonal breeder: the case of red deer. Anim. Behav. 47:217–219. and .
- 2010. lme4: Linear mixed-effects models using S4 classes. R package version 0.999375-37. http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=lme4. 29. and .
- 2006a. Mating strategies in relation to sexually selected infanticide in a non-social carnivore: the brown bear. Ethology 112:238–246. , , and .
- 2006b. The dilemma of female mate selection in the brown bear, a species with sexually selected infanticide. Proc. Biol. Sci. 273:283–291. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Consumption of salmon by Alaskan brown bears: a trade-off between nutritional requirements and the risk of infanticide? Oecologia 138:465–474. , , and .
- 1997. Infanticide in seasonally breeding multimale groups of Hanuman langurs (Presbytis entellus) in Ramnagar (South Nepal). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 41:139–150.
- 2005. A large cost of female mate sampling in pronghorn. Am. Nat. 166:661–668. , , , and .
- 2001. Diversity of age-specific reproductive rates may result from ageing and optimal resource allocation. J. Evol. Biol. 14:180–185.
- 1995. Infanticide in the Alpine marmot (Marmota marmota). Ethol. Ecol. Evol. 7:191–194. , , , , and .
- 1995. The grizzly bears of Yellowstone: their ecology in the Yellowstone Ecosystem, 1959–1992. Island Press, Washington, DC. , , and .
- 2003a. Family breakup in brown bears: are young forced to leave? J. mammal. 84:536–540. and .
- 2003b. Seasonal range size in relation to reproductive strategies in brown bears Ursus arctos. J. Anim. Ecol. 72:660–667. , and .
- 1998. Strategies and counterstrategies to infanticide in mammals. Biol. Rev. 73:321–346.
- 2002. Male demography, female mating behavior, and infanticide in wild Patas monkeys (Erythrocebus patas). Int. J. Primatol. 23:85–104. , , and .
- 1995. Lactation, hibernation, and mass dynamics of American black bears and grizzly bears. Can. J. Zool. 73:2216–2222. and .
- 2013. Detection of pregnancy in a hibernator based on activity data. Eur. J. Wildl. Res., 59:731–741. , , and .
- 1996. Alternative reproductive strategies and tactics: diversity within sexes. Trends Ecol. Evol. 11:92–98.
- 1984 Infanticide in langurs: strategies, counterstrategies, and parameter values. Pp. 257–282 in G. Hausfater, S. B. Hrdy, eds. Infanticide - comparative and evolutionary perspectives. Aldine Transactions, London.
- 1979. Infanticide among animals: a review, classification, and examination of the implications for the reproductive strategies of females. Ethol. Sociobiol. 1:13–40.
- 1984. Comparative and evolutionary perspectives on infanticide: introduction and overview. Pp. 13–35 in G. Hausfater, S. B. Hrdy, eds. Infanticide: comparative and evolutionary perspectives. Aldine Transactions, London. and .
- 2010. Predators are attracted to the olfactory signals of prey. PLoS ONE 5:e13114. , , and .
- 2000. Infant killing, wounding and predation in Eulemur and Lemur. Int. J. Primatol. 21:21–40. , , , , , , et al.
- 1975. Prolactin levels and duration of postpartum anoestrus in lactating ewes. Nature 257:63–64. and .
- 2011. Sexually selected infanticide in a polygynous bat. PLoS ONE 6:e25001. , , , and .
- 2013. Females roam while males patrol: divergence in breeding season movements of pack-ice polar bears (Ursus maritimus). Proc. Biol. Sci., 280:20122371. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Effects of habitat on GPS collar performance: using data screening to reduce location error. J. Appl. Ecol. 44:663–671. , , , and .
- 1990. Behavioral decisions made under the risk of predation: a review and prospectus. Can. J. Zool. 68:619–640. and .
- 2006. Segregation of Beaufort Sea beluga whales during the open-water season. Can. J. Zool. 84:1743–1751. , , , , and .
- 2008. Going out to mate: excursion behaviour of female roe deer. Ethology 114:886–896. , , , and .
- 2010. Coping with human disturbance: spatial and temporal tactics of the brown bear (Ursus arctos). Can. J. Zool. 88:875–883. , , , , , and .
- 2013. Reciprocal modulation of internal and external factors determines individual movements. J. Anim. Ecol. 82:290–300. , , , , , , et al.
- 1994 Density-dependent population regulation in brown bears. Pp. 15–24 in M. Taylor, ed. Density dependent population regulation of black, brown and polar bears. International Association for Bear Research and Management, Missoula, Montana.
- 2005. Sexually selected infanticide in grizzly bears: the effects of hunting on cub survival. Ursus 16:141–156.
- 1977. Adaptive features of mammalian reproduction. Evolution 31:370–386.
- 1990. Impact of increased bear hunting on survivorship of young bears. Wildl. Soc. Bull. 18:462–467.
- 2003. Effects of hunting on brown bear cub survival and litter size in Alaska. Ursus 14:130–152. , , and .
- 2007. Importance of diel behaviour when studying habitat selection: examples from female Scandinavian brown bears (Ursus arctos). Can. J. Zool. 85:518–525. , , , and .
- 2012. Behaviour of solitary adult Scandinavian brown bears (Ursus arctos) when approached by humans on Foot. PLoS ONE 7:e31699. , , , and .
- 2008. A movement ecology paradigm for unifying organismal movement research. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. 105:19052–19059. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Pragmatic management increases a flagship species, the Himalayan brown bears, in Pakistan's Deosai National Park. Biol. Conserv. 141:2230–2241. , , and .
- 2000. Reproductive patterns in eutherian mammals: adaptations against infanticide. Pp. 322–360 in C. P. van Schaik, C. H. Janson, eds. Infanticide by males and its implications. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K. and .
- 1983. Adaptations of female lions to infanticide by incoming males. Am. Nat. 121:716–728. and .
- 2007. Experience pays: offspring survival increases with female age. Biol. Lett. 3:44–46. , , , and .
- 1976. Natural selection of optimal reproductive tactics. Am. Zool. 16:775–784.
- R Development Core Team 2013. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. ISBN 3-900051-07-0, URL http://www.R-project.org/.
- 2006. Sexual dimorphism, reproductive strategy and human activities determine resource use by brown bears. Ecology 87:2636–2646. , , and .
- 1998. Assessing the viability of Scandinavian brown bear, Ursus arctos, populations: the effects of uncertain parameter estimates. Oikos 83:403–416. , , , , and .
- 1998. Ranging movements of female roe deer: do home-loving does roam to mate? Ethology 104:721–728. and .
- 2000a. Infanticide by male primates: the sexual selection hypothesis revisited. Pp. 27–71 in C. C. van Schaik, C. H. Janson, eds. Infanticide by males and its implications. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K.
- 2000b. Vulnerability to infanticide by males: patterns among mammals. Pp. 61–71 in C. C. van Schaik, C. H. Janson, eds. Infanticide by males and its implications. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K.
- 2005. The evolution of lactation strategies in pinnipeds: a phylogenetic analysis. Ecol. Monogr. 75:159–177. and .
- 2003. Mating systems and strategies. 534 Pp in J. R. Krebs, T. H. Clutton-Brock, eds. Monographs in behavior and ecology. Princeton Univ. Press, New Jersey. and .
- 2002. Prey responses to pulses of risk and safety: testing the risk allocation hypothesis. Anim. Behav. 63:437–443. and .
- 2000. Infanticide by resident males and female counter-strategies in wild Japanese macaques (Macaca fuscata). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 48:195–202. , , , and .
- 2007. Evolution of reproductive seasonality in bears. Mammal Rev. 37:21–53. , , and .
- 2012. The mating system of the brown bear in relation to the sexually selected infanticide theory. PhD thesis, Norwegian Univ. of Life Sciences, Aas, Norway.
- 2012. The mating system of the brown bear Ursus arctos. Mammal Rev. 42:12–34. , , , , and .
- 2013a. Male reproductive strategy explains spatiotemporal segregation in brown bears. J. Anim. Ecol. 82:836–845. , , , and .
- 2013b. Infanticide as a male reproductive strategy has a nutritive risk effect in brown bears. Biol. Lett., 9:20130624. , , , , , and .
- 2011. The red deer rut revisited: female excursions but no evidence females move to mate with preferred males. Behav. Ecol. 22:808–818. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Implications of sexually selected infanticide for the hunting of large carnivores. Pp. 171–189 in M. Festa-Bianchet, M. Apollonio, eds. Animal behavior and wildlife conservation. Island press, Washington, DC.
- 2008. Observations of mixed-aged litters in brown bears. Ursus 19:73–79. and .
- 1997. Infanticide caused by hunting of male bears. Nature 386:450–451. , , , , , and .
- 1972. Parental investment and sexual selection. Pp. 136–179 in B. Campbell, ed. Sexual selection and the descent of man 1872–1971. Univ. of California, Aldine Publishing Company, Los Angeles.
- 1973. Reproductive strategies of mammals. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 4:139–163. and .
- 1995. Tests of hypotheses for sexual segregation in grizzly bears. J. Wildl. Manag. 59:552–560. and .
- 2004. Promiscuous females protect their offspring. Trends Ecol. Evol. 19:127–134. and .
- 2011. Fast stable restricted maximum likelihood and marginal likelihood estimation of semiparametric generalized linear models. J. Roy. Stat. Soc. 73:3–36.
- 2004. Early primiparity in brown bears. Acta Theriologica 49:427–432. , , and .
- 2009. The effects of primiparity on reproductive performance in the brown bear. Oecologia 160:847–854. , , , and .
- 2009. Mixed effects models and extensions in ecology with R. Springer, New York. , , , , and .