Climate change and the population collapse during the “Great Famine” in pre-industrial Europe
Version of Record online: 2 JAN 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 3, pages 284–291, February 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(3):284–291
- Issue online: 4 FEB 2014
- Version of Record online: 2 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 27 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Received: 24 OCT 2013
- 1932. Animal aggregations: a study in general sociology. Univ. of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL.
- 1999. Principles of population dynamics and their application. Stanley Thornes, London.
- 2006. Deciphering the effects of climate on animal populations: diagnostic analysis provides new interpretation of Soay sheep dynamics. Am. Natur. 168:784–795. , and .
- 1965. The conditions for agricultural growth: the economics of agrarian change under population pressure. Aldine, London, U.K.
- 1981. Population and technological change: a study of long-term trends. Univ. of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL.
- 2010. Climate as a contributing factor in the demise of Angkor, Cambodia. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 107:6748–6752. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. 2500 years of European climate variability and human susceptibility. Science 331:578–582. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Ecological orbits: how planets move and populations grow. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U.K. , and .
- ESCARSEL members. 2010. Growing season temperatures in Europe and climate forcings over the past 1400 years. PLoS One 5:e9972. , and
- 2011. Civil conflicts are associated with the global climate. Nature 476:438–441. , , and .
- 1996. The Great Famine: Northern Europe in the Early Fourteenth Century. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 2012. Development and disintegration of Maya political systems in response to climate change. Science 338:788–791. , , , , , and , et al.
- 1987. Population dynamics of human and other animals. Demography 24:443–465.
- 2002. Malthus in state space: macroeconomic-demographic relations in English history, 1540 to 1870. J. Popul. Econ. 15:195–220. and .
- 2008. Climatic change and Chinese population growth dynamics over the last millennium. Clim. Change 88:131–156. , , and .
- 2009. Temperature, aridity thresholds, and population growth dynamics in China over the last millennium. Clim. Res. 39:131–147. , , and .
- 2011. Positive and negative feedbacks in human population dynamics: future equilibrium or collapse? Oikos 120:1301–1310. and .
- 2006. Climate and small rodent dynamics in semi-arid Chile: the role of lateral and vertical perturbations and intra-specific processes. Clim. Res. 30:125–132. , , and .
- 1798. An essay on the principle of population as its affects the future improvement of society: with remarks on the speculations of Mr. Godwin, M. Condorcet, and other writers. J. Johnson, London.
- 1978. Atlas of world population history. Allen Lane, London. , and .
- 2012. Insights from past millennia into climatic impacts on human health and survival. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 109:4730–4737.
- 2001. Cultural responses to climate change during the late Holocene. Science 292:667–673.
- 1920. On the rate of growth of the population of United States since 1790 and its mathematical representation. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 6:275–288. and .
- 1954. Stock and recruitment. J. Fish. Res. Board Can. 11:559–623.
- 1992. Analytical population dynamics. Chapman and Hall, London.
- 2012. Climate change and violent conflict. Science 336:869–871. , , , , and .
- 1978. Estimating the dimension of a model. Ann. Stat. 6:461–464.
- 2003. Complex population dynamics: a theoretical/empirical synthesis. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 2009. Long-term population cycles in human societies. Ann. NY Acad. Sci. 1162:1–17.
- 1838. Notice sur la loi que la population suit dans son accrossement. Correspondance Mathématique et Physique 10:113–121.
- 2007. Global climate change, war, and population decline in recent human history. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 104:19214–19219. , , , , and .
- 2011. The causality analysis of climate change and large-scale human crisis. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 108:17296–17301. , , , , , , et al.