Inferences about population dynamics from count data using multistate models: a comparison to capture–recapture approaches
Version of Record online: 20 JAN 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 4, pages 417–426, February 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(4):417–426
- Issue online: 17 FEB 2014
- Version of Record online: 20 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 24 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Received: 21 NOV 2013
- John Wesley Powell Center for Analysis and Synthesis
- US Geological Survey
- U.S. National Science Foundation
- 2010. Estimation of immigration rate using integrated population models. J. Appl. Ecol. 47:393–400. , , , , and .
- 1972. Parameter estimates from mark-recapture experiments on two populations subject to migration and death. Res. Popul. Ecol. 13:97–113.
- 2009. Bayesian Hierarchical Models for Inference About Population Growth. Pp. 3–17 in D. L. Thomson, E. G. Cooch and M. J. Conroy, eds. Modeling demographic processes in marked populations. Springer, New York, NY. , , , and .
- 2002. Integrating mark–recapture–recovery and census data to estimate animal abundance and demographic parameters. Biometrics 58:540–547. , , , and .
- 2004. A Bayesian approach to combining animal abundance and demographic data. Anim. Biodiv. Conserv. 27:514–529. , , and .
- 1978. Estimation of the size of a closed population when capture probabilities vary among animals. Biometrika 65:625–633. , and .
- 2001. Matrix population models: construction, analysis, and interpretation, 2nd ed. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA.
- 2013. Correlates and consequences of breeding dispersal in a migratory songbird. Auk, 130:742–752. , , , , and .
- 2009. Multistate capture–recapture analysis under imperfect state observation: an application to disease models. J. Appl. Ecol. 46:486–492. , and .
- 1964. Estimates of survival from the sighting of marked animals. Biometrika 51:29–438.
- 2012. Assessing individual heterogeneity using model selection criteria: how many mixture components in capture-recapture models? Methods Ecol. Evol. 3:564–573. , , , and .
- 2011. Models for estimating abundance from repeated counts of an open metapopulation. Biometrics 67:577–587. , and .
- 2009. Density estimation by spatially explicit capture–recapture: likelihood-based methods. Pp. 255–269 in D. L. Thomson, E. G. Cooch M. J. Conroy, eds. Modeling demographic processes in marked populations. Springer, New York, NY. , , and .
- 2010. Incorporating individual heterogeneity in studies on marked animals using numerical integration: capture-recapture mixed models. Ecology 91:951–957. and .
- 1997. Age determination of free-living male black-throated blue warblers during the breeding season. J. Field Ornithol. 68:443–449.
- 2007. Understanding population change in migratory songbirds: long-term and experimental studies of Neotropical migrants in breeding and wintering areas. Ibis 149:S2, 2–13.
- 2011. Avian population and community processes in forest ecosystems: long-term research in the Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest. For. Ecol. Manage. 262:20–32.
- 1965. Explicit estimates from capture-recapture data with both death and immigration—stochastic model. Biometrika 52:225–247.
- 2003. Climate and food synchronize regional forest bird abundances. Ecology 84:3024–3032. , , and .
- 2003. Adjusting multistate capture-recapture models for misclassification bias: Manatee breeding proportions. Ecology 84:1058–1066. , , and .
- 2013. Detecting and estimating density-dependence in wildlife populations. J. Widl. Manage. 77:12–23. and .
- 2002. Multistate recapture models: modeling incomplete individual histories. J. Appl. Stat. 29:353–369. and .
- 1992. Modelling survival and testing biological hypotheses using marked animals: a unified approach with case studies. Ecol. Monogr. 62:67–118. , , , and .
- 2003. Demographic analysis from summaries of an age-structured population. Biometrics 59:778–785. , , and .
- 1992. Capture-recapture models. Bioscience 42:94–102.
- 1992. Estimating transition probabilities for stage-based population projection matrices using capture- recapture data. Ecology 73:306–312. , , , and .
- 1994. A methodological framework for estimating breeding proportions and testing biological hypotheses about the cost of reproduction with capture- recapture data. Ecology 75:2052–2065. , , , , and .
- 2003. Open capture-recapture models with heterogeneity: I Cormack-Jolly-Seber model. Biometrics 59:786–794. , , and .
- 2003 JAGS: A program for analysis of Bayesian graphical models using Gibbs sampling. Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Distributed Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. ISSN 1609-395X.
- 1991. Modeling capture, recapture, and removal statistics for estimation of demographic parameters for fish and wildlife populations: past, present, and future. J. Am. Stat. Assoc. 86:225–238.
- 2002. The use of auxiliary variables in capture-recapture modelling: an overview. J. Appl. Stat. 29:85–102.
- 2000. Simultaneous use of mark-recapture and radiotelemetry to estimate survival, movement, and capture rates. J. Wildl. Manag. 64:302–313. , , , , and .
- 2005. Multievent: an extension of multistate capture–recapture models to uncertain states. Biometrics 61:442–447.
- 1997 Identification guide to North American birds. Part 1. Slate Creek Press, Bolinas, CA.
- 2003. Multiple density-dependence mechanisms regulate a migratory bird population during the breeding season. Proc. Biol. Sci. 270:2105–2110. , , , and .
- 2004. N-mixture models for estimating population size from spatially replicated counts. Biometrics 60:108–115.
- 2008. Modeling individual effects in the Cormack–Jolly–Seber model: a state-space formulation. Biometrics 64:364–370.
- 2013. Spatial capture recapture, 1st ed. Academic Press, Waltham, MA. , , , and .
- 2007. Use of integrated modelling to enhance estimates of population dynamics obtained from limited data. Conserv. Biol. 21:945–955. , , , and .
- 2009. When to end releases in reintroduction programmes: demographic rates and population viability analysis of bearded vultures in the Alps. J. Appl. Ecol. 46:92–100. , , , , and .
- 2010. Massive immigration balances high anthropogenic mortality in a stable eagle owl population: lessons for conservation. Biol. Conserv. 143:1911–1918. , , , , and .
- 2012. The demographic drivers of local population dynamics in two rare migratory birds. Oecologia 168:97–108. , , , , , and .
- 1993. Estimating migration rates using tag recovery data. Biometrics 49:177–193. , , and .
- 1965. A note on the multiple-recapture census. Biometrika 52:249–259.
- 2002. Variation in survivorship of a migratory songbird throughout its annual cycle. J. Anim. Ecol. 71:296–308. , and .
- 2005. Long-term demographic trends, limiting factors, and the strength of density dependence in a breeding population of a migratory songbird. Pp. 426–436 in R. Greenberg and P. P. Marra, eds. Birds of two worlds: the ecology and evolution of temperate-tropical migration. Johns Hopkins Univ. Press, Baltimore. , and .
- 2000. Impacts of a global climate cycle on population dynamics of a migratory songbird. Science 288:2040–2042. , , and .
- 2013. A spatial mark–resight model augmented with telemetry data. Ecology 94:553–559. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Warm springs, early lay dates, and double brooding in a North American migratory songbird, the black-throated blue warbler. PLoS One 8:e59467. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Analysis and management of animal populations, 1st ed. Academic Press, San Diego, CA. , , and .
- 2014. Modeling structured population dynamics using data from unmarked individuals. Ecology 95:22–29. , , , , , , et al.