Climate change and the decline of a once common bird
Version of Record online: 16 JAN 2012
© 2011 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 2, pages 370–378, February 2012
How to Cite
McClure, C. J. W., Rolek, B. W., McDonald, K. and Hill, G. E. (2012), Climate change and the decline of a once common bird. Ecology and Evolution, 2: 370–378. doi: 10.1002/ece3.95
- Issue online: 20 FEB 2012
- Version of Record online: 16 JAN 2012
- Received: 01 September 2011; Revised: 29 November 2011; Accepted: 29 November 2011
- 2006. Distribution-wide effects of climate on population densities of a declining migratory landbird. J. Anim. Ecol. 75:221–227. , and .
- 1995. Rusty Blackbird (Euphagus carolinus). Pp. 1–16 in A. Poole and F. Gill , eds. The birds of North America, No. 200. The Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia, and the American Ornithologists’ Union, Washington , DC .
- 2003. Long-term declines and decadal patterns in population trends of songbirds in western North America, 1979–1999. Condor 105:737–755. , , , and .
- 2010. Prevalence of hematozoa infections among breeding and wintering Rusty Blackbirds. Condor 112:849–853. , , and .
- 2001. Adjustment to climate change is constrained by arrival date in a long-distance migrant bird. Nature 411:296–298. , and .
- 2006. Climate change and population declines in a long-distance migratory bird. Nature 441:81–83. , , , and .
- 2009. Climate change and unequal phenological changes across four trophic levels: constraints or adaptations? J. Anim. Ecol. 78:73–83. , , , , and .
- 1970. Time series analysis, forecasting, and control. Holden-Day, San Francisco , CA . , and .
- 2008. Extent of recent polewards range margin shifts in Finnish birds depends on their body mass and feeding ecology. Ornis Fennica 85:109–117.
- 2002. Model selection and multimodel inference: a practical information—theoretic approach. Springer-Verlag, New York, NY , 488 pp. , and
- 2001. Changes in the onset of spring in the western United States. Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc. 82:399–415. , , , , and .
- 2009. Long-term change in limnology and invertebrates in Alaskan boreal wetlands. Hydrobiologia 620:77–89. , , and .
- 2010. Geographic and seasonal variation in mercury exposure of the declining Rusty Blackbird. Condor 112:789–799. , , , , , , , , , and , et al.
- ESRI. 2008. Environmental Systems Research Institute, Redlands , CA .
- 2008. Dragonfly community re-organisation in boreal forest lakes: rapid species turnover driven by climate change? Insect Conserv. Div. 1:169–179. , and .
- 2005. Pp. 1110–1114 in C. J. Ralph and T. D. Rich , eds. Bird conservation implementation and integration in the Americas: proceedings of the third International Partners in Flight Conference, Vol. PSW-GTR-191. U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station, Asilomar , CA .
- 2007. The national elevation dataset. Pp.99–118 in D. Maune , ed. Digital elevation model technologies and applications: the DEM users manual. American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, Bethesda , MD .
- 1999. On the decline of the Rusty Blackbird and the use of ornithological literature to document long-term population trends. Conserv. Biol. 13:553–559. , and
- 2010. Rusty Blackbird: mysteries of a species in decline. Condor 112:770–777. , and .
- 2000. Empirical evidence for North Pacific regime shifts in 1977 and 1989. Prog. Oceanogr. 47:103–145. , and .
- 2007. Historical changes in the phenology of British Odonata are related to climate. Glob. Change Biol. 13:933–941. , , , and .
- 2007. Breeding distributions of North American bird species moving north as a result of climate change. Conserv. Biol. 21:534–539. , and .
- 1996. Response of stream invertebrates to a global-warming thermal regime: an ecosystem-level manipulation. Ecology 77:395–407. , and .
- 2005. Sensitivity and response of northern hemisphere altitudinal and polar treelines to environmental change at landscape and local scales. Glob. Ecol. Biogeogr. 14:395–410. , and .
- International Union for Conservation of Nature. 2009. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2009.2. Available at http://www.iucnredlist.org. Accessed February 2010.
- 2002. Climatic and hydrologic variability in a coastal watershed of southwestern British Columbia. J. Am. Wat. Resour As 38: 1437–1451. , , and .
- 2010. Projected range contractions of montane biodiversity under global warming. Proc. R. Soc. B Biol. Sci. 277:3401–3410. , and .
- 1998. Numerical ecology. Elsevier, Amsterdam . , and .
- 2010. Habitat occupancy by Rusty Blackbirds wintering in the Lower Mississippi Alluvial Valley. Condor 112:841–848. , , and .
- 2007. Retrospective comparison of the occurrence and abundance of Rusty Blackbird in the Mackenzie Valley, Northwest Territories. Avian Conserv. Ecol.—Écologie et conservation des oiseaux, 2. Available at http://www.ace-eco.org/vol2/iss1/art3/. , , , and
- 2002. The Pacific Decadal Oscillation. J. Oceanogr. 58:35–44. , and .
- 2010. Estimating the abundance of nesting Rusty Blackbirds in relation to wetland habitats in Alaska. Condor 112:825–833. , , and .
- 2008. Populations of migratory bird species that did not show a phenological response to climate change are declining. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 105:16195–16200. , , and .
- 1998. Population limitation in birds. Academic Press, San Diego , CA .
- 2004. Christmas bird count provides insights into population change in land birds that breed in the Boreal Forest. American Birds 58:10–20. , , , and .
- 1999. Important bird and mammal records in the Thelon River Valley, Northwest Territories: range expansions and possible causes. Can. Field-Nat. 113:375–385. , , and .
- 2002. Influences of the El Niño/Southern Oscillation and the North Atlantic Oscillation on avian productivity in forests of the Pacific Northwest of North America. Glob. Ecol. Biogeogr. 11:333–342. , , , and .
- 2008. Habitat occupancy, status, and reproductive ecology of Rusty Blackbirds in New England. Thesis, University of Maine , Orono , ME .
- 2010. Nest-site selection and nest survival of the Rusty Blackbird: does timber management adjacent to wetlands create ecological traps Condor 112:800–809. , , , , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2008. R Foundation for statistical computing, Vienna , Austria .
- 2004. Climate influences on avian population dynamics. Adv. Ecol. Res. 35:185–209. , , , , and .
- 2008. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, Laurel , MD . , , and .
- 2000. Impacts of a global climate cycle on population dynamics of a migratory songbird. Science 288:2040–2042. , , and .
- 2006. Range retractions and extinction in the face of climate warming. Trends Ecol. Evol. 21:415–416. , , and .
- 2001. Energetic and fitness costs of mismatching resource supply and demand in seasonally breeding birds. Science 291:2598–2600. , , , , and .
- 2009. Relationship of spruce budworm (Choristoneura fumiferana) emergence and balsam fir (Abies balsamea) bud flush to climate indices. For. Chron. 85:625–630.
- U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service. 2008. Division of migratory bird management. Available at <http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/>. Accesed 15, December 2010, Arlington , VA .
- 2003. Fluctuations of Vanessa cardui butterfly abundance with El Niño and Pacific Decadal Oscillation climatic variables. Glob Change Biol 9:785–790.
- 2004. Global climate change leads to mistimed avian reproduction. Pp.89–110 in A. P. Møller , W. Fielder , and P. Berthold , eds. Advances in ecological research, Vol. 35. Elsevier, Amsterdam . , , , , and
- 2002. Ecological responses to recent climate change. Nature 416:389–395. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2008. The role of food, weather and climate in limiting the abundance of animals. Biol. Rev. 83:227–248.
- 1984. Patterns of population decline in birds. American Birds 38:10–13. , and