Adaptive latitudinal variation in Common Blackbird Turdus merula nest characteristics
Article first published online: 21 FEB 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 6, pages 851–861, March 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(6):851–861
- Issue published online: 18 MAR 2014
- Article first published online: 21 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Received: 21 NOV 2013
- British Ecological Society via a Small Ecological Project. Grant Number: 3677/4543
- 2004. Smaller Eastern Olivaceous Warbler Hippolais pallida elaeica nests suffer less predation than larger ones. Acta Ornithol. 39:87–92.
- 2002. Nest microclimate during incubation. Pp. 143–160 in D. C. Deeming, ed. Avian incubation: behaviour, environment and evolution. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U.K. and .
- 2010. Experimental cooling during incubation leads to reduced innate immunity and body condition in nestling tree swallows. Proc. R. Soc. B. Biol. Sci. 277:1086–1092. , , and .
- 1968. Nesting of the European members of the genus Turdus Linnaeus 1758 (Aves). Acta Zool. Crac. 13:349–439.
- 2011. First-egg date and air temperature affect nest construction in Blue Tits Cyanistes caeruleus, but not in Great Tits Parus major. Bird Study 58:78–89. , and .
- 1984. Nest building and bird behaviour. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, NJ. and .
- 1988. The birds of the Western Palearctic. Vol. 5: Tyrant flycatchers to thrushes. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U.K.
- 1993. GLIM for ecologists. Blackwell Scientific Publications, London, U.K.
- 1997. Nest predation: the relative effects of nest characteristics, clutch size and parental behaviour. Anim. Behav. 53:93–103.
- 2011. Variation in the structure of bird nests between northern Manitoba and southeastern Ontario. PLoS ONE 6:e19086. , , and .
- 2012. Local temperature and not latitude determines the design of Blue Tit and Great Tit nests. Avian Biol. Res. 5:203–208. , , , and .
- 2013. Ecological, evolutionary, and conservation implications of incubation temperature-dependent phenotypes in birds. Biol. Rev. 88:499–509. , , , and .
- 2011. Kangaroo rats remodel burrows in response to seasonal changes in environmental conditions. Ethology 117:430–439.
- 2003. Nest predation in Blackbirds (Turdus merula) and the influence of nest characteristics. Ornis Fenn. 80:1–10. , , , and .
- 2000. Bird nests and construction behaviour. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K.
- 2005. Animal architecture. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U.K.
- 2011. Structural support, not insulation, is the primary driver for avian cup-shaped nest design. Proc. R. Soc. B. Biol. Sci. 278:2924–2929. and .
- 2004. Using artificial nests to test importance of nesting material and nest shelter for incubation energetics. Auk 121:777–787. , , , , and .
- 2003. Responses of bryophytes to simulated environmental change at Latnjajaure, northern Sweden. J. Bryophol. 25:163–168. , , and .
- 1984. Altitudinal variations in nests of the Hawaiian Honeycreeper Hemignathus virens virens. Condor 86:443–454. , and .
- 1987. Unrepeatable repeatabilities: a common mistake. Auk 104:116–121. , and .
- 2009. Predators and the breeding bird: behavioural and reproductive flexibility under the risk of predation. Biol. Rev. 84:485–513.
- 2008. Seasonal adjustments in nest cup lining in Blue Tits Cyanistes caeruleus. Ardea 96:278–282. , and .
- 2009. Experimental evidence for state-dependent nest weight in the blue tit, Cyanistes caeruleus. Behav. Proc. 81:144–146. , and .
- 2013. The energetic costs of nest building in birds. Avian Biol. Res. 6:12–17. , and .
- 2012. Latitudinal variation in blue and great tit nest characteristics indicates environmental adjustment. J. Biogeog. 39:1669–1677. , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. Nest predation and nest sites: new perspectives on old patterns. Bioscience 43:523–532.
- 1986. Measuring behaviour: an introductory guide. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K. , and .
- 2009. Predation on dependent offspring: a review of the consequences for mean expression and phenotypic plasticity in avian life history traits. Ann. NY Acad. Sci. 1168:201–217. , and .
- 2004. The structure and function of nests of Long-tailed Tits Aegithalos caudatus. Funct. Ecol. 18:578–583. , , and .
- 1990. Nest predation selects for small nest size in the blackbird. Oikos 57:237–240.
- 2000. Role of bryophyte-dominated ecosystems in the global carbon budget. Pp. 344–368 in A. J. Shaw and B. Goffinet, eds. Bryophyte biology. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K.
- 2008. Experimental heating reveals nest temperature affects nestling condition in tree swallows (Tachycineta bicolor). Biol. Lett. 4:468–471. , , , and .
- 1983. Nidobiology of Turdus merula. Acta Sci. Nat. Brno. 17:1–46.
- 2010. Geographic variation in nests of Yellow Warblers breeding in Churchill, Manitoba and Elgin, Ontario. Condor 112:596–604. , and .
- 1980. Geographic variation in the insulative qualities of nests of the northern oriole. Wilson Bull. 92:466–474.
- 1980. The insulation in nests of selected North American songbirds. Auk 97:816–824. , and .
- 1958a. A study of blackbirds. British Museum, London, U.K.
- 1958b. The breeding of the blackbird Turdus merula at Oxford. Ibis 100:1–30.
- 1992. Colonization of dry habitats by the Song Thrush Turdus philomelos: is the type of nest material an important constraint? Bull. Br. Ornithol. Club 112:27–34.
- 1987. Thermal tolerance of avian embryos – a review. Condor 89:874–898.