Vertical transmission of fungal endophytes is widespread in forbs
Article first published online: 11 MAR 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 8, pages 1199–1208, April 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(8):1199–1208
- Issue published online: 22 APR 2014
- Article first published online: 11 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 25 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Received: 7 JUN 2013
- Nuffield Foundation
- The Natural Environment Research Council
- Royal Holloway
- University of London
- 1994. Effect of some phytopathogenic fungi and their metabolites on growth of Heliothis virescens (F.) and its host plants. Biocontrol. Sci. Tech. 4:77–87. and .
- 2008. Symbiosis lost: Imperfect vertical transmission of fungal endophytes in grasses. Am. Nat. 172:405–416. and .
- 2007. Understanding the diversity of foliar endophytic fungi: progress, challenges and frontiers. Fungal Biol. Rev. 21:51–66.
- 2003. Fungal endophytes limit pathogen damage in a tropical tree. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 100:15649–15654. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Plant pathogens transmitted by pollen. Australas. Plant Pathol. 36:455–461. , , and .
- 2009. Swainsonine concentrations and endophyte amounts of Undifilum oxytropis in different plant parts of Oxytropis sericea. J. Chem. Ecol. 35:1272–1278. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Swainsonine and endophyte relationships in Astragalus mollissimus and Astragalus lentiginosus. J. Agricult. Food Chem. 59:1281–1287. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Production of the alkaloid swainsonine by a fungal endosymbiont of the Ascomycete order Chaetothyriales in the host Ipomoea carnea. J. Agricult. Food Chem. 61:3797–3803. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Endophytic fungi occurring in fennel, lettuce, chicory, and celery – commercial crops in southern Italy. Mycol. Res. 112:100–107. , , and .
- 2004. Pollen and stigma structure and function: the role of diversity in pollination. Plant Cell 16:S84–S97. , , and .
- 2003. Endophytic fungal mutualists: seed-borne Stagonospora spp. enhance reed biomass production in axenic microcosms. Mol. Plant Microbe Interact. 16:580–587. , , and .
- 2003. Seed treatment prevents vertical transmission of Fusarium moniliforme, making a significant contribution to disease control. Phytoparasitica 31:344–352. , , and .
- 2007. Site- and species-specific differences in endophyte occurrence in two herbaceous plants. J. Ecol. 95:614–622. , , , and .
- 2012. Differential effects of foliar endophytic fungi on insect herbivores attacking a herbaceous plant. Oecologia 168:1023–1031. , , , , and .
- 2010. Mechanisms of fungal endophytes in plant protection against pathogens. Afric. J. Microbiol. Res. 4:1346–1351. , , and .
- 2012. Influence of seed endophyte amounts on swainsonine concentrations in Astragalus and Oxytropis locoweeds. J. Agricult. Food Chem. 60:8083–8089. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Cladosporium sphaerospermum as a new plant growth-promoting endophyte from the roots of Glycine max (L.) Merr. World J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 25:627–632. , , , , , , et al.
- 1979. Microbiology of plant litter decomposition. Sci. Prog. 66:25–42.
- 2010. Foliar fungal endophyte dynamics in herbaceous hosts. Ph.D. thesis, Royal Holloway University of London. .
- 2009. Interactions between an endophytic fungus, aphids and extrafloral nectaries: do endophytes induce extrafloral-mediated defences in Vicia faba? Funct. Ecol. 23:707–714. , and .
- 2010. Fungal endophyte negative effects on herbivory are enhanced on intact plants and maintained in a subsequent generation. Ecol. Entomol. 35:25–36. and .
- 2005. Enterobacter cloacae, an obligatory endophyte of pollen grains of Mediterranean pines. Folia Microbiol. 50:209–216. , , , , and .
- 2001. Temporal trends of the airborne fungi and their functional relations with the environment in a suburban site. Mycologia 93:831–840. and .
- 1998. The effect of Microbotryum violaceum spores on pollen germination in Silene acaulis. Int. J. Plant Sci. 159:221–227.
- 2002. Reduced growth and deterrence from feeding of the insect pest Helicoverpa armigera associated with fungal endophytes from cotton. Aust. J. Exp. Agric. 42:995–999.
- 2006. Inhibition of sporulation and ultrastructural alterations of grapevine downy mildew by the endophytic fungus Alternaria alternata. Phytopathology 96:689–698. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Pollen mimicry during infection of blueberry flowers by conidia of Monilinia vaccinii-corymbosi. Physiol. Mol. Plant Pathol. 64:113–123. and .
- 2010. Localization of endophytic Undifilum fungi in locoweed seed and influence of environmental parameters on a locoweed in vitro culture system. Botany 88:512–521. , , , , , and .
- 2001. Vertical disease transmission in the Cakile-Alternaria host-pathogen interaction. Aust. J. Bot. 49:561–569. , , , and .
- 2008. Fungi of melliferous bees pollenload. Mikologia Fitopatologia 42:464–469. and .
- 2011. Transmission of the locoweed endophyte to the next generation of plants. Fungal Ecol. 4:251–255. , , , and .
- 2012. Ecological role of transgenerational resistance against biotic threats. Plant Signall. Behav. 7:447–449. , , and .
- 2009. Fungal endophytes: diversity and functional roles. New Phytol. 182:314–330. , , , and .
- 2010. Defensive mutualism between plants and endophytic fungi? Fungal Div. 41:101–113. , , and .
- 2012. Non-systemic fungal endophytes of grasses. Fungal Ecol. 5:289–297. , , , and .
- 2005. Insect-plant biology. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U.K. , , and .
- 1993. Endophytes from herbaceous plants and shrubs: effectiveness of surface sterilization methods. Mycol. Res. 97:1447–1450. , , , and .
- 2008. Hidden diversity of endophytic fungi in an invasive plant. Am. J. Bot. 95:1096–1108. , , , and .
- 2010. Persistent, symptomless, systemic, and seed-borne infection of lettuce by Botrytis cinerea. Eur. J. Plant Pathol. 126:61–71. , , and .
- 1985. The genesis of size hierarchies in seedling populations of Impatiens capensis Meerb. New Phytol. 100:243–260.
- 2007. Above-ground herbivory causes rapid and sustained changes in mycorrhizal colonization of grasses. Oecologia 153:959–971. and .
- 2012. Species and organ specificity of fungal endophytes in herbaceous grassland plants. J. Ecol. 100:1085–1092. , , , and .