Validation of adipose lipid content as a body condition index for polar bears
Article first published online: 23 JAN 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 4, pages 516–527, February 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(4):516–527
- Issue published online: 17 FEB 2014
- Article first published online: 23 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 30 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Received: 30 JUL 2013
- Wildlife Program of the USGS Ecosystem Mission Area
- USGS Climate and Land Use Change Mission Area
- Bureau of Ocean Energy Management
- 1995. The effects of prolonged fasting of the body composition and reproductive success of female polar bears (Ursus Maritimus). Funct. Ecol. 9:559–567. and .
- 1996. Changes in body composition of fasting polar bears (Ursus maritimus): the effect of relative fatness on protein conservation. Physiol. Zool. 69:304–316. , , and .
- 1993. Evaluation of body condition in the Northwest Atlantic harp seal (Phoca groenlandica). Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 50:1372–1381. , , and .
- 2006. Studying trophic ecology in marine ecosystems using fatty acids: a primer on analysis and interpretation. Mar. Mamm. Sci. 22:759–801. , , and .
- 1998. Evaluation of age determination of polar bears by counts of cementum growth layer groups. Ursus 10:449–453. and .
- 2002. A body condition index for ursids. Can. J. Zool. 80:1156–1161. , , , and .
- 2001. Nutritional condition models for elk: Which are the most sensitive, accurate, and precise? J. Wildl. Manage. 65:988–997. , , , , , and .
- 1994. Age-specific reproductive performance of female polar bears (Ursus maritimus). J. Zool. Lond. 234:527–536. and .
- 1996. Aspects of survival in juvenile polar bears. Can. J. Zool. 74:1246–1252. and .
- 1994. Development of two methods to estimate body composition of bears. Can. J. Zool. 72:220–226. and .
- 2010. Ethical issues faced by field primatologists: Asking the relevant questions. Am. J. Primatol. 72:754–771.
- 1994. Body composition of harp seals. Can. J. Zool. 72:545–551. , , and .
- 2011. Assessment of nutritional condition indices across reproductive states in the striped dolphin (Stenella coeruleoalba). J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 405:18–24. , , and .
- 2013. Polar bear use of a persistent food subsidy: insights from non-invasive genetic sampling in Alaska. Ursus 24:148–163. and .
- 2000. Effect of hibernation and reproductive status on body mass and condition of coastal brown bears. J. Wildl. Manage. 64:178–183. , , , and .
- 1998. Seasonal changes in fatty acids and leptin contents in the plasma of the European brown bear (Ursus arctos arctos). Ann. Zool. Fenn. 35:215–224. , , , , and .
- 2012. Determining seabird body condition using nonlethal measures. Physiol. Biochem. Zool. 85:85–95. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Stratification of lipids, fatty acids and organochlorine contaminants in blubber of white whales and killer whales. J. Cetacean Res. Manag. 6:175–189. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Marine mammal blubber reference and control materials for use in the determination of halogenated organic compounds and fatty acids. Anal. Bioanal. Chem. 397:423–432. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Stability of fatty acid composition in seal blubber during long-term storage. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 461:283–291. , , , , , and .
- 2013. Global change effects on the long-term feeding ecology and contaminant exposures of East Greenland polar bears. Glob. Change Biol. 19:2360–2372. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. A body composition model to estimate mammalian energy stores and metabolic rates from body mass and body length, with application to polar bears. J. Exp. Biol. 212:2313–2323. , , , , and .
- 2006 Temporal trends in the body condition of southern Hudson Bay polar bears. 1-8, Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources. Applied Research and Development Branch. Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources Project Report. (GENERIC) , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. When will the summer Arctic be nearly sea ice free? Geophys. Res. Lett. 40:2097–2101. and .
- 2014. Remote biopsy darting and marking of polar bears. Mar. Mamm. Sci. 30:169–183. , , and .
- 2011. Conservation and management of Canada's polar bears (Ursus maritimus) in a changing Arctic. Can. J. Zool. 89:371–385. , , , and .
- 2013. Population ecology of polar bears in Davis Strait, Canada and Greenland. J. Wildl. Manage. 77:463–476. , , , and .
- 2010. The paradigm of body condition: a critical reappraisal of current methods based on mass and length. Funct. Ecol. 24:1323–1332. and .
- 2007. Effects of earlier sea ice breakup on survival and population size of polar bears in western Hudson Bay. J. Wildl. Manage. 71:2673–2683. , , , and .
- 2010. Survival and breeding of polar bears in the southern Beaufort Sea in relation to sea ice. J. Anim. Ecol. 79:117–127. , , , , and .
- 1990. Measurement of the body composition of living gray seals by hydrogen isotope dilution. J. Appl. Physiol. 69:885–891. and .
- 2012a. Maternal condition determines birth date and growth of newborn bear cubs. J. Mammal. 93:540–546. , , , and .
- 2012b. Hibernation and seasonal fasting in bears: the energetic costs and consequences for polar bears. J. Mammal. 93:1493–1503. , , , , and .
- 2010. Reduced body size and cub recruitment in polar bears associated with sea ice decline. Ecol. Appl. 20:768–782. , , and .
- 2012. A tale of two polar bear populations: ice habitat, harvest, and body condition. Popul. Ecol. 54:3–18. , , , , , , et al.
- 1975. Effects of diet, age, strain and anatomical site on fat depot triglyceride and fatty acid content in rats. Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med. 149:864–870. and .
- 2009. Leptin as a surrogate indicator of body fat in the American black bear. Ursus 20:120–130. , , , and .
- 2006. Condition indices for conservation: new uses for evolving tools. Integr. Comp. Biol. 46:1169–1190. and .
- 1993. Possible impacts of climatic warming on polar bears. Arctic 46:240–245. and .
- 1975. Distribution and abundance of polar bears in the eastern Beaufort Sea. 59 pp., Can. Dept. Environ. Beaufort Sea Proj., Beaufort Sea Tech. Rep. 2. (GENERIC). , , , and .
- 1989. Immobilization of polar bears (Ursus maritimus) with telazol in the Canadian Arctic. J. Wildl. Dis. 25:159–168. , , and .
- 1999. Long-term trends in the population ecology of polar bears in western Hudson Bay in relation to climate change. Arctic 52:294–306. , , and .
- 2008. Quantitative support for a subjective fatness index for immobilized polar bears. J. Wildl. Manage. 72:568–574. , , and .
- 2006. Seasonal, sexual and anatomical variability in the adipose tissue of polar bears (Ursus maritimus). J. Zool. 269:65–76. , , and .
- 2012. A circumpolar monitoring framework for polar bears. Ursus 23:1–66. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Influence of life-history parameters on organochlorine concentrations in free-ranging killer whales (Orcinus orca) from Prince William Sound, AK. Sci. Total Environ. 281:183–203. , , , , , , et al.